Cheesehead
Conscript

Tips for White Autumn Scenario?

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:40 am

Finished the Finish and Polish scenarios and felt like I did okay.

Playing White Autumn as the Western Whites.

Any tips on how to tackle this? What objectives should I go after?

andatiep

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:09 pm

My best tip is : play the Great Campaign scenario instead :D !
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Cheesehead
Conscript

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:01 pm

andatiep wrote:My best tip is : play the Great Campaign scenario instead :D !

Okay, fair enough.

So my next question, what are some good tips to play the Great Campaign as West White?

Durk

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:16 am

My advice comes after once being trounced as the Western Whites and currently being hard pressed to hold my own. RUS Gold is a wonderful game challenging in additional new ways from the original game. New diplomatic options and other decisions bring complexity. The events are well explained. There are better decisions, but no correct choices. Read, use your knowledge of history, and choose. Make sure to use Regional Decisions each time they arise.

It is essential to hold the core area of Kuban around Katerinodar and from there to the Caspian Sea.
Additionally, Rostov and Novocheikassk form the heart of the Western White home.

Your forces from the Northwestern Whites in Rostov and Northern Whites from Murmansk should pose some level of threat to Petrograd. Even if they have marginal hopes of success, they need to tie up Red forces.

The Reds start with a lot of untrained militia in the Kuban area. The White forces are small, but powerful. You must beat these militia before they can train. If you succeed in this, the arrival of the French and Greek forces will provide you with time to build your forces. Leadership is your key advantage. Take time in organizing and reorganizing to maximize their values.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 am

Durk wrote:The events are well explained. There are better decisions, but no correct choices. Read, use your knowledge of history, and choose.

For a game, the events are not so well explained, I mean they should be explained like for a newb' in History.
The game should be rather didactic than booked for masters in history. Okay it should nor be a book of History, but there are missing some explaining texts which would prevent the gamer from few unintended traps.

The White forces are small, but powerful.

Yes. Do with sureness, I mean don't be overconfident but still have a clear plan. You can succeed if you act clearly. If you're not sure about what you do, then do little, for instead you will set your own trap and it will be worse.
For me, it's overconfidence of Denikin who have lost the South whites.

AleksandrStefan
Private

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 am

I suggest you that in the first turns, get a great number of divisions/brigades/corps around Kalach-on-Don and then siege Tsarytsin, becouse that way you can get a very important alliance with Ukraine, and then, further on ""help""(although you are invading :p ) Ukraine taking almost all Eastern Ukraine, including Kharkov, and if s*** hits the fan, Ekaterinoslav, Tiraspol or even Kiev, if Makhno raiders go way too far.

But if you want something more hardcore, dont invade Tsarytsin, prepare to re-take most of the Kuban and Don area to later engage against the cluster*** of factions wich populate Ukraine... You should have Kiev in a few turns, if Anarchists dont slow you down and the city of Penza(wich triggers Soviet invasion) hasnt fell to the enemy...

andatiep

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:11 pm

I would also advise you to play in the same time the Eastern Whites side together with the Western Whites.

This will allow you to coordinate a bit your strategy, especially if you aim to activate options like "Unite the White factions" which need a territorial connexion on the Volga or in the North-Eastern fronts.

If you have an AI as partner, you will always wonder why it didn't moved to connect you where you planed ;)

Cheesehead
Conscript

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:43 pm

AleksandrStefan wrote:I suggest you that in the first turns, get a great number of divisions/brigades/corps around Kalach-on-Don and then siege Tsarytsin, becouse that way you can get a very important alliance with Ukraine, and then, further on ""help""(although you are invading :p ) Ukraine taking almost all Eastern Ukraine, including Kharkov, and if s*** hits the fan, Ekaterinoslav, Tiraspol or even Kiev, if Makhno raiders go way too far.

But if you want something more hardcore, dont invade Tsarytsin, prepare to re-take most of the Kuban and Don area to later engage against the cluster*** of factions wich populate Ukraine... You should have Kiev in a few turns, if Anarchists dont slow you down and the city of Penza(wich triggers Soviet invasion) hasnt fell to the enemy...

(I've been taking a break to play Rise of Prussia, Alea Jacta Est, and Birth of America II...)

I've been trying to take Tsarytsin with a large force. I think I might be assaulting prematurely before the siege is complete? Taking huge losses. Can someone explain how a siege works? When do I assault? What siege level?

AleksandrStefan
Private

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Cheesehead wrote:(I've been taking a break to play Rise of Prussia, Alea Jacta Est, and Birth of America II...)

I've been trying to take Tsarytsin with a large force. I think I might be assaulting prematurely before the siege is complete? Taking huge losses. Can someone explain how a siege works? When do I assault? What siege level?

Tsarytsin was the antecesor of Stalingrad so no doubt you have such losses... Try to open one or two breaches. For that you should from the very first turn train/build siege artillery and attach it to one of your best generals.

Another great tip:
If you want to start a siege on a difficult city, aka Moscow, Petrograd, Helsinki(depends on how that scenario goes), Tsarytsin, Sebastopol, Huliapole... Send your troops always on a defensive behaviour. The problem is, that if you send your troops to siege, sometimes they will automatically enter in combat with the enemy garrison, so I recomend you to use all the possible decisions to make your troops arrive at Tsarytsin without starting a fight the very first siege turn, becouse the assaulter is likely to fail and take big losses, plus if you want to make sure the divisions arrive at the same time, so the chances to support any first-battle improves, coordinate their movements or keep them one region close.

In most of these scenarios is better to siege till the enemy surrenders or weak him enough to crush their defenses and gather experience for your troops. But as for Tsarytsin is a complicated thing, becouse you need that city before December if you want to ally with the Ukrainian Nationalists, so speed is important, and so is caution if you dont fancy rebuilding those divisions and corps manually.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Fortified positions (Redoubts) and the damage achieved by fort battery with higher level of entrenchment can be powerfull. Check the battle report.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:31 pm

AleksandrStefan wrote: for Tsarytsin is a complicated thing, becouse you need that city before December if you want to ally with the Ukrainian Nationalists, so speed is important, and so is caution if you dont fancy rebuilding those divisions and corps manually.

Yes it's best the sooner, but even after December it is very good to be able to capture Tsaritsyn. So, as you meant too:
"Yes. Do with sureness, I mean don't be overconfident but still have a clear plan. You can succeed if you act clearly. If you're not sure about what you do, then do little, for instead you will set your own trap and it will be worse." :)

AleksandrStefan
Private

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:03 am

ERISS wrote:Yes it's best the sooner, but even after December it is very good to be able to capture Tsaritsyn. So, as you meant too:
"Yes. Do with sureness, I mean don't be overconfident but still have a clear plan. You can succeed if you act clearly. If you're not sure about what you do, then do little, for instead you will set your own trap and it will be worse." :)

Like when doing Polish-Soviet War campaign and you step on the wrong Soviet Army hahaha

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”