homet
Corporal

Problem Attacking With Southern White Army

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I’m currently playing a PBEM game and don’t understand why my Southern White army located in the region Semkin won’t attack the Soviet army located in the same region. A couple of turns ago the Soviets attacked into the region, lost the battle but remained in the region. Both armies remained in a defensive posture until this last turn when the Southern White army (after getting reinforced) chose to attack.

This first image shows the ownership of the region. As you can see, the Southern Whites control Semkin.

[ATTACH]25719[/ATTACH]

The next image shows the Soviet Army attributes (Thanks to my playing partner and host for providing the files)

[ATTACH]25720[/ATTACH]

This last image shows the Southern White army attributes:

[ATTACH]25721[/ATTACH]

This situation has gone on for several turns. The Southern White army is active, but doesn’t attack. Any ideas why that might be? I’ve attached the game files for the current turn. We are both playing version 1.06a QuickFix3. Any help would be appreciated.

Game files:

[ATTACH]25722[/ATTACH]
Attachments
RUS Game Question Files.zip
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 208 times
Capture_SW1.PNG
Capture_Soviet1.PNG
Capture_SW5.PNG

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:38 am

Glaringly obvious, IMO. You've grouped nearly all your troops in an ARMY. Armies won't attack if there is as much as ONE friendly unit present in the province, and there appears to be at least an air-unit there.

homet
Corporal

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 am

Thank you. There is always something new to learn.

Philo32b
Captain

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 am

Yes, take the 3-star general out of the force, and it will attack fine. As a backup supporting force, the 3-start general of the army is very good for marching to the sound of the guns. He's just not good at initiating the battle, for some reason.

andatiep

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Grrr :cursing: , again this problem with this Army forces which don't attack if there is other friendly force in the region. I'm tired of it, like many, so prepare you all for some changes about the management of the 3 stars Army leaders in the next gold version. We are going to try to find solutions to turn around the problem.
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49 pm

andatiep wrote:again this problem with this Army forces which don't attack if there is other friendly force in the region.

I think it's WAD. A tooltip is missing about the Army stack being an administrative group, not a combat one.
The Army group is representative of a whole army, it's the head of the party, like politicians: ministers don't go to battle (they even flee). Military is not democratic: if nor noble*, the head is to flee the battle (it does not fight, dying is to be the doom of common peons).
Anything not in its group is to protect or vanguard it. If you don't want a head, then include all in the group to make it disapear localy and force it fighting.

* Noble: Some 3-star generals should have the ability of 'craziness' (what would say usual official generals) to attack with an Army stack.

Philo32b
Captain

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 pm

ERISS wrote:I think it's WAD. A tooltip is missing about the Army stack being an administrative group, not a combat one.

But if an HQ unit is not a combat group, why does the fact that it is an HQ give it a 25% increased chance to march to the sound of the guns? (The resModIsGHQ in the GameLogic.opt file.)

I very much agree that a tooltip would help players with this. I think most everyone at some point has had to learn this AGEOD HQ concept the hard way, when their group won't attack.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 am

I know it's WAD, but there are so many problems with treating army stacks different than corps stacks. I really hope for a good fix moving forward. Hell, the first version of AGE I played required division hq units to form divisions. Nothing wrong with fixing some confusing aspects of the engine. The easiest fix off the top of my head would be to lower Army stacks to 0 CP available and 0 MTSG %. Army stacks just represent the commander and his command radius, nothing more.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:09 am

Philo32b wrote:But if an HQ unit is not a combat group, why does the fact that it is an HQ give it a 25% increased chance to march to the sound of the guns?

It should be for it is useless to have a special Army GHQ unit. A basic HQ unit (which can command Corps) with some aids and staff is enough to simulate Army HQ.
Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:The easiest fix off the top of my head would be to lower Army stacks to 0 CP available and 0 MTSG %. Army stacks just represent the commander and his command radius, nothing more.

. Army groups have big CP for they have the priority commanders (many stars), and experienced. But you're quite right: these CP are used too to command the theater, so they should be halved (not all removed) to simulate the CP kept for command radius of theater (Andatiep has involuntary corrected this in Gold beta by greatly disminishing Army CPs).
. In the game manual, Armies can MTSG. It should be when they have well prepared it, having included in the stack all units (but it should no longer be a good whole-army command group during this fight, command radius should be halved..).
Or the rule has maybe changed, or it's actually a bug?

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”