Shawmut
Conscript

Tutorial

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Are there any further 'tutorials'? I don't see one in print. I can't seem to grasp the one included.
Perhaps I'm just not up to this game qualification. Any tricks or viewpoints are appreciated.
I just can't get by the first part of the first lesson. :wacko:

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello Shawnut !

Yes, I know, RUS is a BIG game with a HUGE map and many things to do. I learned the game trying the grand campaign and reading all i can about the Russian civil war.
I can give you a few tricks ;

1. Railroads is the key, keep the railroad map in mind to concentrate your forces, defend the objectives and for supply.

2. don't be afraid : you'll have to "visit" all the map and delimite "front" to organize your forces.

3. try "march of the ice" or "the finland war" and discover the forces, the units. You will learn a lot from your mistakes.

Welcome in the frozen steppes of Russia !
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

jack54
Brigadier General

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 am

Yes, welcome indeed! I agree with FENRIS and also suggest trying the 'Finland War' scenario. Also read a few AAR on the forum just to get a feel for what's going on. I knew nothing about the Russian Civil War when I bought this game, it was so interesting that I ended up reading 2 books on the subject. Enjoy!
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Philo32b
Captain

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 am

Welcome to an amazing game. I also recommend the Finland scenario. I never got into the Ice March one, but if you play the Finland scenario (as the Finnish) several times in a row you will start to really catch on to the basics. (For your first games, turn off the Activation Rules or you will get frustrated, especially if you try the Reds.) The first "game" select the option that doesn't let the computer move. Then in the next game, let the computer move, but rewind the turn and inspect their orders. Then play for real. Next try the Polish Scenario as Poland. Then try the Grand Campaign as Siberia or the Southern Whites. Remember that building huge divisions is key. Finally, the most fun IMHO, the Reds.

Go to the AGEOD American Civil War (the first version) forum and check out their strategy sub-forum and links. That forum is the most helpful for newcomers out of all the AGEOD forums, and many of the tips (such as railroads and strong defense) are relevant in RUS. After a Finnish game round, you could read the battle logs in the TXT file in your game's directory. (Revolution under Siege -> RUS -> Logs) That will spell out what is happening and why. Finally, to top everything off, read Bornego's AARS: here is one of them.

After playing the AI for several games, you are ready for a human in pbem game. Now the education really begins. :) Good luck!

lecrop
Captain

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm still a newbie with RUS, but the only thing I can to advise is don't despair, this wargame requires many hours of flying to get The Big Picture, which I think is essential here.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”