le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Artillery & support -include in divisions/corps?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

When forming a new corps/division under a leader, which units should be included? Should I put artillery units in them as well? And what about cavalry?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:46 pm

At first, corps and divisions are different in RUS:
Corps and armies are special stacks or forces, not units. Divisions are special units.
Armies lead the whole war, they are General Head Quarters, they usually are not combat stacks. Corps are operational leading forces, they are combat HQ kept in reserve.
Divisions are units filled with simple units: divisions can be special (as cavalry division), or mixed for a better line efficiency.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:10 pm

When I write "corps" and "divisions" I refer to units gathered inside a single unit under a (usually one star) leader, not a stack.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:54 pm

For Siberian whites I usually put 5 inf brigade,1 cavalry brigade, 1 field artilery and a tank or armored car making max total of 31 sub elements under 1 star general.
There can be different variations to form a division such as not putting any cavalry brigade. But I usually put at least one field artilery to any division.

In early game , I usually form 5 line regiments,1 strong morale infantry,1 cavalry regiment,1 field artillery and armoured car under 1 star general.

Artillery also get the bonus from Division commander when in a divison so I put them under 1-star general.

Moriety
Major

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm

What about the role of Light Inf in RUS?

I noticed they had a higher assault rating than Line Inf. Does anyone use them in Divisions? (Or are they generally better used as fast Inf in small mobile divisions?)
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Orel
Brigadier General

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am

Moriety wrote:What about the role of Light Inf in RUS?

I noticed they had a higher assault rating than Line Inf. Does anyone use them in Divisions? (Or are they generally better used as fast Inf in small mobile divisions?)

Yes, but at the same time they inflict two times less hits on the enemy than regular infantry.

Towards their usage, I am not sure, you should ask OneArmedMexican about that one, he said in one of his AARs this type of infantry is his favorite.

I recently found them very useful as a substitute for partisans or light raiding units, since they are less affected by weather than cavalry and generally seem better at destroying railways.
For united Russia!

Moriety
Major

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 am

Orel wrote:Yes, but at the same time they inflict two times less hits on the enemy than regular infantry.

Towards their usage, I am not sure, you should ask OneArmedMexican about that one, he said in one of his AARs this type of infantry is his favorite.

I recently found them very useful as a substitute for partisans or light raiding units, since they are less affected by weather than cavalry and generally seem better at destroying railways.

Thanks for the reply. Good points.
I've been keeping one per division, I might move them into a independent division and test them out.
First AGEOD game I've played where the Light Inf'/Skirmishers don't seem to have a defined role.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

DarkGarry
Lieutenant

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 am

Light infantry is good to fight in irregular terrain, like marshes, forests, hills. They have small frontage, it is good as per AGEOD battle algorithm. Also they have VERY SMALL supply consumption, that makes them good substitute for raiders.

Khanti
Captain

Re: Artillery & support -include in divisions/corps?

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:52 am

Bumping old topic, I know.

I just want to know why in manual it is said "Note: It is advised to combined various types of elements into Division Units, and especially to place at least one or few cavalry or light infantry elements . If there is artillery elements, observe a ratio between infantry and artillery of at least 3:1. If you have some regiment-size
units with Special Abilities which give bonus to all the elements of a division Unit, place one
of each inside (like Cheka infantry, Tachankas, etc.).
"

Light Infantry does not seem to have any abilities affecting stack units, so why should it be included into division? It occupies space (which could be used for infantry brigade or artillery). For me it looks like a waste of space and unit.

It looks like this advice is much better: "Light infantry is good to fight in irregular terrain, like marshes, forests, hills. They have small frontage, it is good as per AGEOD battle algorithm. Also they have VERY SMALL supply consumption, that makes them good substitute for raiders."

Light infantry in RUS does not have high patrol value, only evade is high. And cavalry has both values better.

It looks like all-light-infantry raider division is better use of such elements than putting them into regular divisions.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Artillery & support -include in divisions/corps?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 pm

IIRC, the manual was based on RiseOfPrussia, maybe it comes from there. I'm not sure, Andatiep should tell better.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”