J P Falcon
Private

Ok..Where do we stand with this game?

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I would like to find out, well as the title says, where do we stand? I bought this game when it was first released but for obvious reasons have not become totally immersed into the RCW experience, as one patch was expected after another. Then came the Fatal Years mod in various incarnations which sometimes conflicted a bit with the vanilla game.
I now want to finally jump into the deep end of the pool with RCW but want to know, if there are any glaring problems that still need to be addressed? I'm not concerned about some of the minor issues I have read and I see that the weather has been fixed, so it is mainly if you will now get a good gaming experience v. the AI.
I want to play the Southern Whites v AI campaign first using the Fatal Years mod.
Thanks

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Weather is fixed indeed and devs put weather color code with the patch whether it is raining or not for quicker desicions in the battle map. As for weather zones there is no map mode and maybe there is need to do some work about deciding climate zone. Some areas have sandstorms and other areas have snow but I guess they have similar effects in combat. Maybe there is some tooltip needed to identify which units perform better in snow or in sandstorm apart from area proficiencies.
The main difference from Fatal years from the official version is there is a possibility to use concription and requisiton options from disloyal regions apart from better organized Red AI and whites. But the game is in a good shape that deserve much more audience/players.

NY Rangers
Major

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:57 pm

J P Falcon wrote:I'm not concerned about some of the minor issues I have read and I see that the weather has been fixed, so it is mainly if you will now get a good gaming experience v. the AI.
I want to play the Southern Whites v AI campaign first using the Fatal Years mod.
Thanks

As you can see from here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975&mpage=15&key=&# the mod has been thoroughly tested - I have played the campaign through as Southern Whites twice. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the AI is the best I have encountered during my 25 years of computer wargaming.

J P Falcon
Private

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:44 am

NY Rangers wrote:As you can see from here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975&mpage=15&key=&# the mod has been thoroughly tested - I have played the campaign through as Southern Whites twice. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the AI is the best I have encountered during my 25 years of computer wargaming.

That's good enough for me but I do have a question for you....did you notice the AI play differently in your second game or did events follow the path of your first game? Many thanks....

NY Rangers
Major

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:47 am

J P Falcon wrote:That's good enough for me but I do have a question for you....did you notice the AI play differently in your second game or did events follow the path of your first game? Many thanks....

I have started many, but completed only twice. The AI plays differently every time. If it chooses to crush SW as soon as possible, you are in deep trouble. Now there's "German help" -option in the early game which helps in such a case.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 am

Hya,

got a question here as well. Do you suggest to definitely play the FY mod or "only" when you want a tough AI? Does the mod add richness to the game or is the vanilla version fine enough?
I like a challenge, but I do not want to ponder hours over my next turn, because the AI is too difficult :)

NY Rangers
Major

Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:59 am

Quirk wrote:Hya,

got a question here as well. Do you suggest to definitely play the FY mod or "only" when you want a tough AI? Does the mod add richness to the game or is the vanilla version fine enough?
I like a challenge, but I do not want to ponder hours over my next turn, because the AI is too difficult :)

I recommend FY mod for all around better gaming experience. You don't have spend hours a turn - you get into the flow of game pretty quickly. Just avoid any foolhardy stuff so that the AI cannot punish you badly. Also, it's only an AI, not a veteran human player...

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks! Guess I will start a new game tonight or tomorrow then :)

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”