Cat Lord

The Day They Almost Bombed Moscow

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Here is a new feature of RUS, that I hope many of you will love. :love:

Look what we got here:

That's right ! It looks like General Mannerheim has mustered a Finnish Air Force in Lahti. But it seems one of the elements composing it, is in a pretty bad shape. Let's have a closer look at the different elements independently:

The first element is the Air Base personnel itself. The second is composed of reconnaissance planes. And the one which has been bloodied is in fact our fighters squadron.

Can we see in the Log what has happened ?

First it looks like there has been some fighting over Lahti, to prevent an air reconnaissance mission from the communists. No casualties though.

But on the next line:

Damn ! They have intercepted our reconnaissance mission over Tampere, and there was a fierce air battle: We lost 9 fighters against only 5 of them. :(

Well. Air combat won't revolutionised the war yet, but it is a nice addition to the game. How does it work ? Let me quote the manual. :)

[SIZE="4"]Air Warfare[/size]

Air units, and their support units, are a new feature in RUS. The game represents air forces via squadrons attached to an air base. This air base is a land unit consisting of all the staff necessary for the maintenance of the planes.

The air missions are implicitly made, if the air base is capable of operating its planes. There is therefore no specific order to give during your turn, but it is up to you to position your air bases in places adequate to the air missions, or to remove them from the front-line if your squadrons need to rest and receive replacements.

Activation

Air units can only be active if they are operating from a structure. Setting up an airfield, even in the early XXth century, requires a minimum of ground staff, fuel, engine parts, etc... Therefore, you need to have you Air Unit in a region with a structure for it to operate missions. Note that any structure will do and that a simple depot is sufficient.

Air Missions Type
There are three types of possible missions for your air squadrons:
  • Reconnaissance
  • Air fight
  • Bombardment

Note that Air fight only occurs as an interception of one of the two other mission types and never for another reason. Note also that bombardment only occurs in support of a land battle.

Each squadron, represented by a single element, consists for simplicity of a single type of aircraft. These are generally capable of fulfilling at best one of the mission type but they can provide support in a secondary role. For example if fighter participate in a bombardment mission, they will strafe enemy columns with their machine-guns; if they participate in a reconnaissance mission, they will bring a slight bonus to its chances of success.

Mission range is at most on an adjacent region. It is unnecessary, even foolhardy, to stack your Air unit directly in the region a battle is occurring, although if your land units are attacked, planes in the same region will provide some support in the battle. Similarly, planes can intercept enemy planes performing missions in any adjacent regions to your air base.

(...)

Air Advices Remember that your air units represent both aircraft, pilots, ground staff and maintenance equipment. This means that you can move your air units by train or, more slowly, by wheeled carts or trucks (they would then move like a land unit, but with a speed penalty). Remember to place them in a structure if you want them to conduct air operations (you may want to build a depot specifically yo use them somewhere, to represent the effort of clearing and installing an aerodrome).

The planes are fragile, and quickly destroyed or damaged, so do not hesitate to switch the air unit posture to passive or even to withdraw it completely to the rear, to give time for your pilots and equipment to recover. Don't forget to buy replacements for them!

The basic concept of air units in RUS, is that your planes will operate automatically if an opportunity arises at a distance of at most one region away. They are easier to use in defence than in attack, but the period saw aircraft with a very limited range, and the military concept of the Blitzkrieg had yet to be invented. So, if you nevertheless want to use you air units in an offensive, do not risk them by moving them with the army your are committing to storm a region; rather, prepare your offensive against a strong opposition by setting a depot first in an adjacent region, and then move to go to battle, leaving your air unit (and a small protection/reserve force) behind. This will ensure, first that your attacking units are well supplied for the combat, and then, that the air units will help from a distance, taking off from this newly built aerodrome.

:cool:

Cat
Attachments
AirForce-6.jpg
AirForce-5.jpg
AirForce-2.jpg
AirForce-1.jpg
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

ashandresash
Captain

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm

OMG!!!!! This game is getting better and better :thumbsup:

I wish 7th November was now.

This feature, as well as the strategic map, the multiple factions to play (not just 1v1)... well, this game makes ageod give some steps ahead!

What is great.

Xenozod
Civilian

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 am

I have to admit, I didn't even think of air usage. Great addition. :)

Ardie
Captain

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 am

Looks great...as a Finn...it's salivating good.

Also the names of the places are mostly correct...I see that the swedish names have been dropped (for the most part) from that part of Finland which is the usual mistake.

Kymijoki lost an "i". Pieksämäki became "Pieksimaki". Närpiö became "Närpes" (which is ok since that area is mostly swe speaking).

Otherwise...they are correct!

Now for some questions...is Suomenlinna/Viapori/Sveaborg (the coastal fortress) modelled with Helsinki?

Are there any depots or any kind of military infrastructure in Finland? Russian Empire built installations for the their garrisons in Finland like fortifications, coastal forts (with arty), bases (barracks) and such?

Are those reds Finnish commies or plain Russian commies? Or are the Finnish reds thought be part of Russian revolution?

The Finnish whites have the correct Finnish flag marker since they are the legal Goverment forces.

Narwhal

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 am

A game on the Finnish Civil War not made by Finns... A rare sight indeed !

Hohenlohe

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 am

I think this will be a wonderful thing...Congratulations sofar!!
Will it be possible to build/recruit Airships for any side??

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Njordr
Sergeant

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am

Hohenlohe wrote:I think this will be a wonderful thing...Congratulations sofar!!
Will it be possible to build/recruit Airships for any side??

greetings

Hohenlohe

According to Wikipedia:

The Germans, French and Italians all operated airships in scouting and tactical bombing roles early in the war, and all learned that the airship was too vulnerable for operations over the front. The decision to end operations in direct support of armies was made by all in 1917.

Zeppelins proved to be terrifying but inaccurate weapons. Navigation, target selection and bomb-aiming proved to be difficult under the best of conditions. The darkness, high altitudes and clouds that were frequently encountered by Zeppelin missions reduced accuracy even further.
The physical damage done by the Zeppelins over the course of the war was trivial, and the deaths that they caused (though visible) amounted to a few hundred at most.
The Zeppelins were initially immune to attack by aircraft and antiaircraft guns: as the pressure in their envelopes was only just higher than ambient, holes had little effect.
But once incendiary bullets were developed and used against them, their flammable hydrogen lifting gas made them vulnerable at lower altitudes. Several were shot down in flames by British defenders, and others crashed en route. They then started flying higher and higher above the range of other aircraft, but this made their bombing accuracy even worse and success harder to achieve.

Since RUS is set in the latter part of WW1 and the immediately following years, maybe at that time airships played a minor role.

Is there any evidence airships were used in Russian Revolution?
And if yes, were they relevant?

PhilThib

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 am

No airships during the Russian Civil War....may be some Artillery Observation balloons (WW1 'saussages')

Cat Lord

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 am

PhilThib wrote:No airships during the Russian Civil War....may be some Artillery Observation balloons (WW1 'saussages')
Oh, I wonder for which scenario they are airships in the units' database, then ? :thumbsup: ;)

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:17 am

Yup, me too :mdr:

lodilefty

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:30 am

Cat Lord wrote:Oh, I wonder for which scenario they are airships in the units' database, then ? :thumbsup: ;)

Cat

That would be for the new scenaario: "Hindenburg visits New Jersey" :blink:

:mdr:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jack54
Brigadier General

thanks for update...

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 pm

It's really looking Awesome! I was happy when I thought this was going to be 'Rise of Pussia' in 'Russia'...the enhancements are more than I expected.

The evolution of a stellar system (AGE) continues! Thank you, I can't wait for November. (but why do I get this feeling you're not telling us everything?)

andatiep

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:46 pm

PhilThib wrote:No airships during the Russian Civil War....may be some Artillery Observation balloons (WW1 'saussages')

Never mind, this is already a historical moment to celebrate : the nice concepted incoming of the aircraft in AGE game series !
"c'est à marquer d'une pierre blanche... :w00t: "

By the way, about balloons, (i was thinking of this for AACW2, but not only), what about giving them the ability that improve artillery strenght instead of giving it to few "gun's genious" generals...
I never heard about a single general which give 25% more gun firepower to a whole stack, but the use of balloons and here even more of early airplanes DID improve the artillery : but just because they could check the results and bring back the information that it have to be more bombed here or elsewhere.

Anyway, before the 30's, i would not count the airplanes bombing in any fights involving only infantry and cavalry.
Or with only few cohesion losses for the defender and heavy physical losses for the attacker : then it's your choice to waste your planes instead of keeping them for the recon' & arty support.

Finally, i have a question : what kind of information/advantages a recon mission give us ? The detailed values of the enemy's stacks ? But if i have already many cavalry units in an adjacent region, i already get this informations...
...or maybe airplanes should be much less problematic to feed with supply than many regiments of cavalry...?
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Cat Lord

Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Reconnaissance mission actually give you a bonus for the detection roll performed by other units. :)

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

PANGI

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:29 pm

love it already :thumbsup:
ImageImage

andatiep

Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 am

Cat Lord wrote:Reconnaissance mission actually give you a bonus for the detection roll performed by other units. :)

Cat

But... but... :8o:

So if you don't have any good units with detection values in the region you have your base plane, it is not a warranty you get a good detection... Finally, if you want an optmized base plane, you should stick to it cavalry units... :D

That's OK for RUS because the realistic range for the planes is just an adjacent region. But for the AGE plane concept, if with 30's planes which range would be more than one region, the recon' mission should be able to spot enemy forces' values without having friendly units on the ground. Recon' is the first improvement of aviation which makes the cavalry more and more useless.

Clovis

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:28 pm

andatiep wrote:But... but... :8o:

That's OK for RUS because the realistic range for the planes is just an adjacent region. But for the AGE plane concept, if with 30's planes which range would be more than one region, the recon' mission should be able to spot enemy forces' values without having friendly units on the ground. Recon' is the first improvement of aviation which makes the cavalry more and more useless.

You're just one step beyond the current AGE engine. ;) .
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

andatiep

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Clovis wrote:You're just one step beyong the current AGE engine. ;) .

You're right... but i like also science fiction... :) who knows...

Pocus

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:38 pm

me too :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”