Narwhal

Could someone help me analyse a battle ? Possible balance issue

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, here is the story.

July 1757 - Kurt von Schwerin (5-2-2, army commander) and Johann von Wedell (5-3-4) are siting in Olmutz, which I control. They totalize 40 000 men together. Both armies are PERFECTLY healthy and supplied - they have not fought once since the beginning of the game. They have synchronized move order, defensive posture/defend orders (Blue/Orange). They are entrenched since 2 turns or more.

The situation is perfect, right ?

I am attacked by Giovanni Serbeloni (2-0-1), 17 000 men, who I think was in defensive posture (? he started the turn in Olmutz). He has no canon.

How can I lose that ?

You bet !

Serbeloni engages my army, first only Wedell's army (it's their 100 elements vs my 70 elements). Later in the battle Schwerin will join the battle.

10 000 deaths for me, 3 000 deaths for them. 64 elements wiped out for me, 0 for him. All the losses are in Wedell's army, which is completely wiped out. It was a perfect army, the army is no more - only Wedell and 2 of his officers are left. Schwerin retreated to Ostrau with an army in almost a perfect state. I lost 17 NM.

I have no idea what happened. I believe, reading the detailled report, that the enemy cavalry just killed everyone in my team, but I am not confident in my skill at reading the report. Anyone have any other explanation ?

[I ll post the save in the next post]

Narwhal

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:25 pm

The save.

I play with the beta patch RC6.
Difficulty level is Hard.
Luck roll : 49 for me, 50 for him.
Attachments
Campaign 56-631.rar
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 198 times

Bertram

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:17 am

Cavalry units often will kill (entranched) infantry with no casualties to themselves. Especially Cuirassiers are good at this. This is already noted elsewhere (in my AAR of the war against Squarian and in "Problems with infantry against cavalry" in the general part of the ROP forum). We have had no respons from the developers on this yet.

My suspicion is that the "charge check" is to easy for experienced cavalry troops, so they pass it every time. It is one of the problems with the engine. It worked fine when the cavalry was just a quick transport method for infantry (like in the Civil War), but it lacks when the cavalry gets an more ancient shock role.

It is one of the two reasons we stopped our war (the other is the large amount of NM lost in battles when regiments get lost, regardless of the number of men in the regiment).

Ebbingford

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:13 am

I haven't checked your save but looking at the info in your post this has struck me as probably having occurred.
The problem with the Army/Corps setup is that the corps, in this case it sounds like Wedell, takes all the hits. And because he only had 10,000 men he was actually outnumbered.
When organizing your corps it is always better to have the corps at maximum strength in terms of command useage and power of the brigades contained in it. Leave the Army with the weaker brigades and any spare command points.

Ebbingford

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 am

I have just had a quick look at your save game and saw so much weirdness that I had to delete it..... :blink:

Wurtemburg on the Prussian side, missing leaders, wrong looking graphics, there was so much that was just not correct. :confused:
Don't know how it looks from your end, or how it looks for other people, it looks like something went wrong from me downloading it to launching it. Different settings perhaps? Or versions of the patch? But I assume we are both using 1.03beta 6.
What are other people seeing in this save?

Narwhal

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Thank you for the effort. It works fine for me - I wish I had Wurttenberg and I have all my leaders.
My save file is not corrupted, I just tried to use it to load a game.

I believe I use the 6th beta, which I downloaded and installed. How can I check the version ?

Pocus

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:41 pm

bottom right on the screen on loading or by clicking the credits window.

About cavalry, see the original thread.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help to improve RoP”