OneArmedMexican
General

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Seeing that there are some people around on this forum with an amazing history knowledge, I have a question about one of the Russian leaders: Aleksandr Suvorov. Is the leader in ROP the very same who later campaigned against the Turks and finally in 1799 and 1800 in Italy and Switzerland? He made colonel at the end of the Seven Years war after all.

See for a short version:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Suvorov

If someone can confirm that it is indeed the same person, I will make a set of portraits for him. :thumbsup:

Nikel

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 pm

The same, he was colonel in 1762. But the question is.

Is he really appearing in the game? Yes, he is included in the database, but in the game?

You can search inside the database setup files to be sure that a particular commander is included before creating the portrait.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Nikel wrote:The same, he was colonel in 1762. But the question is.

Is he really appearing in the game? Yes, he is included in the database, but in the game?

You can search inside the database setup files to be sure that a particular commander is included before creating the portrait.

Thank you!

And you were right to advice caution: I ran a search over the scenario and event files. I couldn't find Suvorov anywhere. That is a first.
It is a shame, I had found a nice portrait.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 am

PANGI wrote:I'm point out some errors i found in demo:

I'm recommending this model as austrian german infantry:
and that which is used for it as austrian light and technician troops (especially looking at those prussian sappers is difficult for me)

I also noticed overusing of hungarian infantry - in saxony as garrison and line - this looks really odd. That model has typical hungarian details (moustache, braids...) and dont fit to represent any other models. I also found this model as garrison unit throughout the bohemia and moravia:
he looks as hungarian frontier troop (and they also defined as "hungarian elite infantry" in the game) so they dont represent bohemian garrison quite well.

I noticed that habsburg german line infatry is still wearing casquets instead of tricorns. I'm going to try to change it myself, but nevertheless it would be good to put this into the next patch :)

PS: My first try at german infantry:

I just hope that they don't blend in with the ingame-background too much. And I still need to edit it so that it fits with the AGEOD-style. I went for a dirtier white like in these contemporary paintings (especially the last two):

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/99/131399-050-F6E9B139.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/HGM_Findenigg_Gefecht_bei_Maxen.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/b/bb/20101213061657%21La_Pegna_%C3%9Cberfall_bei_Hochkirch.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/HGM_De_la_Pegna_Finkenfang_bei_Maxen.jpg

PhilThib

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Nice work indeed :thumbsup:

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Than you! Someone has deprived the grenadiers of their moustaches as well! The grenadiers! :8o: So I had to do one more:

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:55 am

I've worked on the previous graphics a little bit and added hungarian infantry. In order not to spam ín this thread, I'll keep this post updated if I should add some more.

German Infantry (19.3.):

Image Image Image

German Grenadiers (19.3.):

Image Image Image

Hungarian Infantry (19.3.): (yes, the sabre and sabre-bag are lacking, but this guy would look very overloaded...)

Image Image Image

Liccaner Grenzer (20.3.):

Image Image Image

Carnium

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:53 am

Great stuff :thumbsup:

Carnium

Tue May 10, 2011 8:39 pm

JacquesDeLalaing: Have you ever finished these? :(

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Thu May 12, 2011 8:40 am

Finished? Well I considered these three graphics to be finished. Don't they look finisehd? :eyebrow: You can already use them.

Just download, rename them accordingly and put them into the right folders (don't forget to back up the old portraits in case you want them back sometime). Here's an example (I've attached a file in which the pictures are already renamed - you just need to incorporate them into your ROP/graphics folder):

german grenadier
download the three pictures and rename them, from left to right, and put them into the correct folders:
Unit_AUS_Gre0 (into ROP/graphics/Units) (=the close up portrait)
mdl_AUS_Gre0 (into ROP/graphics/Portraits) (=the full portrait)
Army_AUS_Gre0 (into ROP/graphics/Armies&Fleets) (=the small one)

For the other ones, it's the same procedure:

german infantry
Unit_AUS_Inf0 & Unit_AUS_Inf2 (ROP/graphics/Units)
mdl_AUS_Inf0 & mdl_AUS_Inf2 (ROP/graphics/Portraits)
Army_AUS_Inf0 & Army_AUS_Inf2 (ROP/graphics/Armies&Fleets)

hungarian infantry
Unit_AUS_Inf3
mdl_AUS_Inf3
Army_AUS_Inf3

Liccaner Grenzer
Unit_AUS_Jag0
mdl_AUS_Jag0
Army_AUS_Jag0

I might still do some more (especially the remaining Grenzers) or rework the current ones.

PS: Oh and I forgot to mention that - if I remember correctly - you'll have to delete the file "models.cached" in "appdata\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Rise of Prussia\ROP\GameData\Models" (for windows vista)
Attachments
ROP Austrian unit graphics.zip
(174.13 KiB) Downloaded 449 times

Carnium

Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 am

Many thanks :w00t: :thumbsup:

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Two reworked units!

Cuirassiers
Image Image

(Broder) Grenzer
Image Image

Ingame-Screenshot:

The updated file can be found in the attachment, same instructions as above (backup your originals, unzip and put the new ones into the correct folders, delete your models.cached-file).

Preview: Hussars (and I'm improving my reworked german line infantry and grenadiers further...)
Attachments
(280.25 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Carnium

Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 pm

Awesome. Time to reload this game and play with my favourite faction :thumbsup: :coeurs:

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Thu May 19, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm still spamming. But don't worry! This will be the last update for quite some time. The next time I'll upload something it will be all the missing Austrian graphics together: hung. grenadiers, dragoons, carabiners, mounted grenadiers, pioneers, chasseurs ...

I've added Hussars and I've reworked german line infantry and grenadiers.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Edits: Some previews/wips

21.5: Preview of a more Hyacinth de la Pegna (what a name!)-styled infantry (early 7 years war):
(size increased so much that it became blurry)

23.5:
Image Image Image
Attachments
(336.42 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

boudi

Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 pm

It's very nice. I download it.

Florent

Sat May 21, 2011 1:10 pm

Excellent work :coeurs:

Ebbingford

Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 pm

That looks more like a proper miniature figure than a graphic...

Top work :thumbsup:

Carnium

Sun May 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Fantastic as always :thumbsup: :coeurs:

Florent

Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 pm

And you were right to advice caution: I ran a search over the scenario and event files. I couldn't find Suvorov anywhere. That is a first.
It is a shame, I had found a nice portrait.

Actually Suvorov is for the 1761 scenario/Campaign still in work hopefully finished this summer :blink:

Nevertheless you may well have soon (very soon) some work to find portraits for a new scenario ( set-up file should be finished by sunday). ;)

OneArmedMexican
General

Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Florent wrote:Actually Suvorov is for the 1761 scenario/Campaign still in work hopefully finished this summer :blink:

Nevertheless you may well have soon (very soon) some work to find portraits for a new scenario ( set-up file should be finished by sunday). ;)

That is great news. :thumbsup: A new campaign sounds fun. For a long time I have been playing only the GC. But currently I am discovering that the other campaigns are just as interesting.

I still have Suvorov on my hard-drive. I would most certainly look into doing some more portraits if new generals appear in a future patch. :D

Florent

Tue May 24, 2011 10:37 pm

The new scenario will be The first Silesian War : 15.12 1740 to the treaty of Klein-Schnellendorf in summer 1741. :D

Ebbingford

Tue May 24, 2011 11:00 pm

:thumbsup:

Carnium

Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 am

Florent wrote:The new scenario will be The first Silesian War : 15.12 1740 to the treaty of Klein-Schnellendorf in summer 1741. :D

Wow, just WOW.
Will this scenario be available for free?

Florent

Thu May 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Will this scenario be available for free?

I suppose that yes since this is one scenario. A DLC idea would be to improve the map each DLC in order to lower the cost. For exemple there would be more area added to eastern France + Flanders-Nederlands + Scenarios to play with.
Another would have northern Italy until Mantoue allowing the Italian scenarios etc...

If you want to start doing portraits here are a few :

Family Anhalt-Dessau, Fürst Leopold von Anhalt Dessau (the Old Dessauer,creator of the superlative Prussian infantry), Leopold II-Maximilian (his first son ) and Dietrich von Anhalt Dessau (second son), Moritz is already in the game. ;)
Adolph friedrich von der Schulenburg. All are on Wikipedia.

OneArmedMexican
General

Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Florent wrote:Family Anhalt-Dessau, Fürst Leopold von Anhalt Dessau (the Old Dessauer,creator of the superlative Prussian infantry), Leopold II-Maximilian (his first son ) and Dietrich von Anhalt Dessau (second son), Moritz is already in the game. ;)
Adolph friedrich von der Schulenburg. All are on Wikipedia.

Actually, there is already a Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau in the game (mdl number 426). He is in the Prussian army at the start of the 1756 campaign. However, Leopold I and Leopold II were dead at that time. Leopold III was in the Prussian army but only 16 years old; however the current graphic set depicts an old man. Who is this Leopold supposed to be?

Two more questions:

1) Is it for certain that this scenario will see the light of day? I am willing to make the graphic sets. But I would be somewhat displeased if I did the work for nothing. It takes a lot more time to make decent graphic sets for RoP than for RUS.

2) Here is what I found: English and French wikipedia only gave a portrait for the Old Dessauer. I had to look up the German version of wikipedia to find the rest. Some of these are low quality. If you found better pictures, would you mind posting them here? :thumbsup:
Attachments
220px-Adolf_vonder_Schulenburg.jpg
220px-1702_Dietrich von Anhalt-Dessau.JPG
220px-1700_Leopold II Anhalt Dessau.JPG
Leopold_I,_Prince_of_Anhalt-Dessau.jpeg

Florent

Thu May 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Yes this is the 4 portraits needed for the First Silesian war (part one) or Molwitz scenario Dec 15 1740 to August/September 41.
I have to verified who is the leopold in the game.

Most of the Set-up is done now (holidays are good for working on this scenario although this scenario is one year in research and reading now), Cities page is done too to reflect Silesia as part of Austria, tomorrow i will try to finish the setup and saturday, i look at the models.
Austrian Infantry has less discipline and a new model is needed as well as for the Prussian Cavalry (huge men on huge horses) using a form of caracole instead of shock. The Austrian Cavalry is far superior !!!
I don't know how it was done for WiA with different wars.
Is this a common files for leaders and units or each war has its own files for leaders and units ?

Florent

Thu May 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Background (simplified) of Molwitz 41 scenario

The scenario is about the initial part of the First Silesian war 1740-1742.
Fred II the new king of Prussia invaded Silesia the wealthest province of the Empire with 2 columns of Ist corps (right and left wing 31 Btns ) and rushed to Breslau whereas a II corps (7 Btns + siege Art) did go for the blocus and siege of Glogau. Their goal is to take all of Silesia until upper Silesia perhaps for automatic victory meaning a better result than history.
A IIIrd Corps came in February with 14 Btns and 5 cavalry Rgts.

After the disastrous Austro-Turkish war, the Austrian army suffered what is called "Dislokation", the dispersion of the Rgts so that there no concentration of troops in a single place.
Noise of war as soon as October made an Austrian reaction and numerous rgts were send to Silesia, Bohemia and Moravia, many of them still marching on Dec 16 1740.
As the Austrian Player you will have the same dilemn than General Brown. You have at first a small concentration of 5 Btns + 1 Dragons rgt, 4 Btns are in Brieg, 2 in Glogau and 2 are in Neisse other Btns are in the march or are located in Troppau, Wien, Presbourg etc..., and it will take time to reach Silesia.

Historically Brown put many Bts in the Fortresses reducing his Corps and did a fighting withdrawal to Moravia, will you do the same ? Will you stripped the Fortress to reinforce your corps but weakening the fortresses ? It will be up to you !!! ;) And you have no Field artillery at start :blink:
Lose a battle and you will have to retreat perhaps with no Garrisons left.

Early in the game after a turn or 2 you will have an important choice : Choosing 2 plans from Different leaders in a multi choices option seen first in RoP and then in Rus. Here you choose between Neipperg or KhevenhüllerNeipperg like some soviet generals in WWII was put in prison after the loss of Belgrad and left it recently.
His plan was to react as soon as possible and strike at the upstart Prussians who have no experience of war and teach them a lesson :thumbsup: thus you will get an Army HQ as soon as february in Wien and gather/concentrate the Rgts after sending the QG at a concentration point.

Khevenhüller a better General wanted more Btns so that in game terms a QG will be available later in March this choice will cost you more victory points as well as morale.
Historically Neipperg stroke in order to separate the Prussians corps at Molwitz, the Prussians had time to concentrate some troops and were almost beaten, the austrian Cavalry crushed their prussian counterpart, Fred run from the battlefield...and Schwerin and prussian infantry saved the day with a discipline perhaps never seen before on a battlefield.
The infantry marched, stopped, fire all in a rolling thunder which impressed all observators, an austrian Gen. describing moving walls !!
The Austrians retreated to Neisse.
With April-May, huge number of Warasdiner, Hussars would introduce a new type of warfare in Western Europe and Silesia would be the starting point.
Unfortunately for Austria, the French decided for war with the Bavarians against them and were closing on Austria and Neipperg received orders for some negociations, something he was incompetent, he lost Belgrad in 1739...and all Silesia in 1740 believing that Maria Theresa wanted the peace at all cost. When he saw her mobilising the nation and Hungarians and the resolve of a young Queen of 23 years old ready for a war to the death, he understook his terrible mistake.
The game stops here end September on the eve of departure of Austrians troops to confront the franco-bavarians and later Saxons...
Perhaps youwill get an automatic victory before calculation points.

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon May 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Salut Florent,

I had a little time yesterday and tried my hand at a graphic set for the "Old Dessauer". I hope you like it.

[ATTACH]15116[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15117[/ATTACH]

It would be a shame if (perhaps) the most important general of the First Silesian War would be disgraced by a generic graphic set.

If you want the face bigger (and less of the armor in the graphic set, please tell me). That can be changed easily.

I will create graphic sets for the other generals once the new scenario sees the day of light. I am still hoping that someone finds better pictures for them. ;) The higher the resolution the better, also my work gets easier if the portrait is already in colour.
Attachments
Army_PRU_Leopold I Dessau.png
Unit_PRU_Leopold I Dessau.png
Unit_PRU_Leopold I Dessau.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 182018 times
Old Dessauer.zip
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Florent

Tue May 31, 2011 4:09 pm

They are very nice :thumbsup:
Yes this is one of the most important man in the prussian army, the King-Soldier (Father of Fred II) employed him in 1732 to create the new prussian infantry, believing that discipline and having men acting as automatons would be the best thing.
He introduced the platoon fire taken from the british and doctrine concentratred on fire, he even tried fire on 2 ranks...50 years before the British ( Fred stopped him) but Fred II would put him mostly in the rear.
In 1741 he lead the Observation Korps looking at Saxony and British-Hanoverian. He had a corps in Upper Silesia in 1742 and won the battle of Kesselsdorf in 1745.
Fred would concentrate more on shock action rather than fire.

PANGI

Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 pm

JacquesDeLalaing wrote:21.5: Preview of a more Hyacinth de la Pegna (what a name!)-styled infantry (early 7 years war):
(size increased so much that it became blurry)

23.5:
Image Image Image

Wow looks like from ottenfeld :)
ImageImage

Return to “Help to improve RoP”