JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Some alternative sounds

Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm

I've mixed together some battle sounds for my personal use. I might keep working on them and add some more sounds (especially artillery). Right now, the mod only contains some different musketry sounds. If you'd like to try them out, copy the content of the folder to your Rise of Prussia/sounds directory and overwrite the old ones. But of course you might back-up the original sounds before you overwrite them.

Cheers and Vivat Maria Theresia! :D
Attachments
alternative ROP sounds MOD.rar
(577.71 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

they are nice! are they free to use? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 am

As far as I can remember (these sounds have a history of their own on my PC), most of them are cobbled together from various youtube videos from reenactments. One sample, however, comes from this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ooBiCLlqA

Pocus

Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 am

ok, thanks! I believe this would be safe to use them then... Are you against it?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

No, I',m honoured! :D But I'm not offended if you don't use them either. They might not be to everyone's liking?

Pocus

Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Let say I'll be keeping the file around, it can be interesting to use some sounds for a change.

CreatorofStrategy
Civilian

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Jacques, I dabble with sound, I'm willing to do a complete soundmod for ROP with you in collaboration if you'd be interested. I'm also a reenactor for the war of 1812, and Americas war of independence, so I can get first class original recordings of all kinds of equipment. Anyway thanks for the work, the drums are well mixed and IMO crucial within the sound effects.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Thu May 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Here is the set I'm currently testing. (Just put these files in your ROP/sounds folder - backup the originals in case you want them back some day)

Oh my I haven't checked this topic for a long time, sorry, Creator of Strategy. Sounds quite interesting! Do you happen to have any good artillery sounds at your disposal?

What I'm doing is to cobble together sounds from all kinds of reenactor-videos, desperately searching for those that come with good sound quality and no wind/no people talking in the background/no music. Then I combine good sounds into one file and add some bullet-whizzling, etc. I think the result is okay. As there are hardly any considerable amounts of cavalry-reenactors, I'm still missing proper cavalry sounds. However, since the cavalry-charge-sounds ingame seem to be triggered in a short sequence with my current settings, cornet-tunes are a no-go (you would get 5 cornets playing the same tune...).

PS: What I've always asked myself is whether loaded muskets sounded significantly different from those reenacted blank-fires. The overall sound effect should be okay, since the sound of battles has has often been described as the sound of raindrops by contemporaries. If you compare this to the "heavy gunfire" sound-file it fits quite well.
Attachments
RoP alternative sounds 1.zip
(735.76 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

ClaytonJay
Conscript

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:01 pm

Yes sir,
I do indeed have access to decent quality cannons, mostly of the smaller caliber 6 pounders. But I'd be willing to bet the deafening blast of the 6 is enough for even the hardiest enthusiast to not predict easily the difference.

I will release my version for you to demo and perhaps get back to me on with input.
I struggle to find reference to the real difference between the sound of the German made muskets compared to the Bess. As of the difference between a packed musket and blank fired, I'd say most definitively that real musket volleys where heavier sounding, by that I mean more pressure and accompanied by more bass. They used larger amounts of powder. If a reenactor double discharges by accident an entire field can hear the difference.
At the same time, I would bet that the crack was more isolated to the opposite end of the barrel, for the reason that the powder would have been compacted very tightly. The independent volume of a musket can range quite dramatically depending on every shot.

Return to “RoP Mods”