berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Berto's ROP Weathers Mod

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Following is a Weathers Mod for Rise of Prussia.

What's the point?

I have never liked the weather modelling in ROP, or any of the other AGEOD games. Although an improvement over WIA, to me, the weathers in ROP still have problems. (Examples to follow in subsequent posts.)

Your Mileage May Vary! If you disagree with me, if you are happy with the default ROP Weathers--fine. That is your prerogative. And it's my right to be unhappy. And to mod things to my liking. That is what (in part) mods are for--to tailor the game to personal fit. If it doesn't fit you, don't wear it. Moving on...

In my mod, I have grouped the various ROP weather regions into just two broad bands:

@areasalpine = ("Alpine");
@areastemperate = ("Interior_Lowlands", "Interior_Uplands", "North_Sea_Coast", "Baltic_Coast");

(I have written a Perl script to auto-generate the weather .ini files. My explanatory examples here are lifted from the script. More on the script later.)

More:

@weathers = ("Clear", "Mud", "Snow", "HarshWeather", "VHarshWeather");

@terrains = ("normal", "low", "high", "coldwater", "water");
@ta = (0, 0, 1, 1, 0); # for each terrain, 0 normal, 1 colder, -1 warmer

And the numbers specifying each weather area's weather, by month:

@alpinecold = (3.6, 3.5, 3.3, 2.7, 1.5, 0.7, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 1.3, 2.7, 3.5);
@alpine = (2.8, 2.5, 2.1, 1.5, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.5, 2.5);
@alpinewarm = (1.8, 1.6, 1.4, 0.9, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 0.9, 1.4);

@temperatecold = (2.8, 2.6, 2.4, 2.2, 0.8, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 2.2, 2.6);
@temperate = (1.8, 1.6, 1.4, 1.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.4);
@temperatewarm = (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8);

where:

4 = VHarshWeather
3 = HarshWeather
2 = Snow
1 = Mud (Rain)
0 = Clear (Fair)

and:

[default] = normal, low, water
cold = high, coldwater
warm = [not used currently in this ROP mod]

In general, I am striving to follow these general principles:

--colder to the north, warmer to the south
--colder in the uplands and wilderness, warmer in the lowlands and toward the coasts
--consistency east to west (no "crazy quilt" weather patterns)

In order to achieve the desired effects (adhere to the three design principles), I have to constrain each region to just one or two "adjacent" weather possibilities in any given month (e.g., 2 => Snow; or 1.5 => 50% chance Mud, 50% chance Snow). To allow three or more possible weathers for a given region and month is to invite inverted weather/temperature patterns, "crazy quilt" patterns, or worse.

For further explanation of the numbers and the method, see the "Berto's WIA Weathers Mod" thread at

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21844

Here is a typical weather specification, in this case a portion of the WeatherPatterns_Interior_Uplands file:

Interior_Uplands|January|normal|Fair|0
Interior_Uplands|January|normal|Mud|20
Interior_Uplands|January|normal|Snow|80
Interior_Uplands|January|normal|HarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|normal|VHarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|low|Clear|0
Interior_Uplands|January|low|Mud|20
Interior_Uplands|January|low|Snow|80
Interior_Uplands|January|low|HarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|low|VHarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|high|Clear|0
Interior_Uplands|January|high|Mud|0
Interior_Uplands|January|high|Snow|20
Interior_Uplands|January|high|HarshWeather|80
Interior_Uplands|January|high|VHarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|coldwater|Clear|0
Interior_Uplands|January|coldwater|Mud|0
Interior_Uplands|January|coldwater|Snow|20
Interior_Uplands|January|coldwater|HarshWeather|80
Interior_Uplands|January|coldwater|VHarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|water|Clear|0
Interior_Uplands|January|water|Mud|20
Interior_Uplands|January|water|Snow|80
Interior_Uplands|January|water|HarshWeather|0
Interior_Uplands|January|water|VHarshWeather|0

As you can see, for each terrain type, there are just two weather choices (chance > 0%). This is true across all regions, all months, all terrain types.

Another general principle: I am trying to make as few changes from the AGEOD defaults as possible. But in some cases, I really do need to make some weather area region reassignments. Here are two:

Code: Select all

Berto@robert /cygdrive/c/Games/AGEOD/Rise of Prussia/ROP/GameData
$ diff Areas.ini\ ORIGINAL Areas.ini
757c757
< ListParams = '$Area_Salzburg|'$Area_Quebec|'$Area_America|
---
> ListParams = '$Area_Quebec|'$Area_America|
773c773
< ListParams = '$Area_Bayern|'$Area_Ostereich|'$Area_Schwaben|'$Area_Hessen|'$Area_Hessen_D|'$Area_Oberpfalz|'$Area_Ober_Schlesien|'$Area_Pilsen|'$Area_Prag|'$Area_Ober_Lausitz|'$Area_Maehren|'$Area_Slovakia|'$Area_Croatie|'$Area_Serbia|'$Area_Transylvania|'$Area_Hungary|'$Area_Great_Polska|'$Area_Russia|
---
> ListParams = '$Area_Bayern|'$Area_Ostereich|'$Area_Schwaben|'$Area_Hessen|'$Area_Hessen_D|'$Area_Oberpfalz|'$Area_Ober_Schlesien|'$Area_Pilsen|'$Area_Prag|'$Area_Ober_Lausitz|'$Area_Maehren|'$Area_Slovakia|'$Area_Croatie|'$Area_Serbia|'$Area_Transylvania|'$Area_Hungary|'$Area_Great_Polska|'$Area_Russia|'$Area_Sachsen|'$Area_Salzburg|
789c789
< ListParams =  '$Area_Mazowia|'$Area_Polska|'$Area_Wielo_Polska|'$Area_Malo_Polska|'$Area_Lodz|'$Area_Bromberg|'$Area_Poznan|'$Area_Neumark|'$Area_Nieder_Schlesien|'$Area_Nieder_Lausitz|'$Area_Brandenburg|'$Area_Hannover|'$Area_Braunschweig|'$Area_Anhalt|'$Area_Sachsen|'$Area_Nassau|'$Area_Westfalen|'$Area_Pfalz|'$Area_Lorraine|'$Area_Baden|'$Area_Wurtemberg|'$Area_Oberbayern|'$Area_France|
---
> ListParams =  '$Area_Mazowia|'$Area_Polska|'$Area_Wielo_Polska|'$Area_Malo_Polska|'$Area_Lodz|'$Area_Bromberg|'$Area_Poznan|'$Area_Neumark|'$Area_Nieder_Schlesien|'$Area_Nieder_Lausitz|'$Area_Brandenburg|'$Area_Hannover|'$Area_Braunschweig|'$Area_Anhalt|'$Area_Nassau|'$Area_Westfalen|'$Area_Pfalz|'$Area_Lorraine|'$Area_Baden|'$Area_Wurtemberg|'$Area_Oberbayern|'$Area_France

That is to say, in the Rise of Prussia/ROP/GameData/Areas.ini file:

--for area $Area_Salzburg, move it from Area #93, Alpine to Area #95, Interior Uplands
--for area $Area_Sachsen, move it from Area #97, Interior Lowlands to Area #95, Interior Uplands

There will be more region assignments in future, but those two essential fixes will get us started.

I have run through a complete year of test game turns, and so far I like what I see, even in this early v0.2.

This is a work-in-progress. With user feedback, and as my ideas evolve, I will update this mod. (Eventually, I plan to port this mod over to other AGEOD games, besides ROP (and also WIA).)

Please see the Weathers Mod v0.4 attached (below). (With each new release, I will be sure to attach the latest release to this first message in this thread.)

To install, simply:

--unzip into the Rise of Prussia/ROP/GameData/Weathers folder
--cut and paste, the Areas.ini file to the Rise of Prussia/ROP/GameData folder

But first make a backup of your default Weathers folder, also your default Areas.ini file!
Attachments
BertoROPWeathersModv04.zip
(16.1 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Berto's Weathers Mod mkweathers.pl Perl script

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Here is the Perl script, mkweathers.pl, that I use to generate the Mod WeatherPatterns*.ini files:

#!/usr/bin/perl

while ($#ARGV >= 0) {
    if ($ARGV[0] eq "-t") {
        $TEST = 1;
   shift;
    } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "-g") {
   shift;
   if ($ARGV[0] eq "acw") {
       $ACW = 1;
   } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "ncp") {
       $NCP = 1;
   } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "pon") {
       $PON = 1;
   } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "rop") {
       $ROP = 1;
   } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "rus") {
       $RUS = 1;
   } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "wia") {
       $WIA = 1;
   } else {
       die "invalid or missing game parameter\n";
   }
        shift;
    } elsif ($ARGV[0] eq "-s") {
        shift;
        @areasnow = ($ARGV[0]);
        shift;
    } else {
        print "Usage:  mkweathers.pl [-t] -g {acw|ncp|pon|rop|rus|wia} [-s <areasnow>]\n";
        exit 1;
    }
}

if ($WIA) {

@weathers = ("Fair", "Mud", "Snow", "Frozen", "Blizzard");

@terrains = ("Other", "Swamp", "Wilderness", "Mountain", "FreezeShallow", "NoFreezeShallow", "CoastalWaters", "FreezeOcean", "NoFreezeOcean");

@areascontinental  = ("Canadian_Maritimes", "Eastern_Canada", "Western_Canada", "Eastern_Great_Lakes", "Western_Great_Lakes", "Upper_New_England");
    @areastemperate = ("Lower_New_England", "Kentuckee_Uplands", "Upland_Middle_States", "Upper_West", "Northern_Plains", "Coastal_Middle_States", "WxAtlantic", "WxEurope");
    @areassubtropical  = ("Southern_Plains", "Upland_South", "Upland_Southeast", "Lower_Louisianne", "Coastal_Carribean", "Coastal_Southeast");
    @areasall    = (@areascontinental, @areastemperate, @areassubtropical);

#                    jan  feb  mar  apr  may  jun  jul  aug  sep  oct  nov  dec
    @continentalcool  = (3.6, 3.4, 2.8, 2.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 2.8, 3.4);
    @continental      = (3.2, 2.4, 1.8, 1.2, 0.3, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.3, 1.8, 2.4);
    @continentalwarm  = (1.8, 1.4, 1.0, 0.8, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.2, 1.0, 1.4);

@temperatecool    = (2.8, 2.5, 2.0, 1.2, 0.4, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 2.0, 2.5);
    @temperate        = (1.8, 1.5, 1.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 1.2, 1.5);
    @temperatewarm    = (1.0, 0.8, 0.6, 0.3, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.6, 0.8);

@subtropicalcool  = (1.5, 1.2, 1.1, 0.5, 0.5, 0.2, 0.2, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.1, 1.2);
    @subtropical      = (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.4, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8);
    @subtropicalwarm  = (0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5, 0.3, 0.1, 0  , 0  , 0  , 0.2, 0.4, 0.7);

} elsif ($ROP) {

@areascontinental   = ("Alpine");
    @areastemperate = ("Interior_Lowlands", "Interior_Uplands", "Baltic_Coast");
    @areastemperatecoastal = ("North_Sea_Coast");
    @areasall      = (@areascontinental, @areastemperate, @areastemperatecoastal);

@continentalcool  = (3.6, 3.4, 2.8, 2.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 2.8, 3.4);
    @continental      = (3.2, 2.4, 1.8, 1.2, 0.3, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.3, 1.8, 2.4);
    @continentalwarm  = (1.8, 1.4, 1.0, 0.8, 0.2, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.2, 1.0, 1.4);

@temperatecool    = (2.8, 2.5, 2.0, 1.2, 0.4, 0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 2.0, 2.5);
    @temperate        = (1.8, 1.5, 1.2, 0.5, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 1.2, 1.5);
    @temperatewarm    = (1.0, 0.8, 0.6, 0.3, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1, 0.6, 0.8);

} elsif ($ACW) {

# this space for rent

} elsif ($NCP) {

# space abhors a vacuum

} elsif ($PON) {

# vacancy, apply within

} elsif ($RUS) {

# no comment

}

@months = ("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December");

$wnum  = @weathers;
$tnum  = @terrains;
$mnum  = @months;

# do not edit; for displaying areas only
@snowcool  = (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2);
@snow      = (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2);
@snowwarm  = (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2);

# do not edit; for displaying areas only
@faircool  = (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
@fair      = (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);
@fairwarm  = (0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

if (defined(@areasnow)) {

outputweathers("areasall", "faircool", "fair", "fairwarm");
    outputweathers("areasnow", "snowcool", "snow", "snowwarm");

} else {

if ($WIA) {
   outputweathers("areascontinental", "continentalcool", "continental", "continentalwarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, -1));
   outputweathers("areastemperate", "temperatecool", "temperate", "temperatewarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, -1));
   outputweathers("areassubtropical", "subtropicalcool", "subtropical", "subtropicalwarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, 0, -1, -1, 0, -1));
    } elsif ($ROP) {
   outputweathers("areascontinental", "continentalcool", "continental", "continentalwarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, -1));
   outputweathers("areastemperate", "temperatecool", "temperate", "temperatewarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, 0));
   outputweathers("areastemperatecoastal", "temperatecool", "temperate", "temperatewarm", (0, 0, 1, 1, -1));
    }

}

exit 0;

sub outputweathers {

# for @ta:  for each terrain, 0 normal, 1 cooler, -1 warmer
    my ($areas, $cool, $norm, $warm, @ta) = @_;

my $a, $m, $t, $w, $p, $pr, $weather;

foreach $a (@$areas) {

$inifile = "WeatherPatterns_" . $a . ".ini";
        open(INIFILE, ">$inifile") if ! $TEST;

for ($m=0; $m<=$mnum-1; $m++) {
       for ($t=0; $t<=$tnum-1; $t++) {
      for ($w=0; $w<=$wnum-1; $w++) {
          if ($ta[$t] == 1) {
         $pr = abs($w - $$cool[$m]);
          } elsif ($ta[$t] == 0) {
         $pr = abs($w - $$norm[$m]);
          } elsif ($ta[$t] == -1) {
         $pr = abs($w - $$warm[$m]);
          }
          if ($pr > 1) {
            $p = 0;
          } else {
            $p = (1-$pr)*100;
          }
          if ($ROP && ($t == 0) && ($w == 0)) {
         $weather = "Fair";
          } else {
         $weather = $weathers[$w];
          }
          if (! $TEST) {
         print INIFILE "$a|$months[$m]|$terrains[$t]|$weather|$p\r\n";
          } else {
         print         "$a|$months[$m]|$terrains[$t]|$weather|$p\r\n";
          }
      }
       }
        }

close(INIFILE) if ! $TEST;

}
}

For now, the script is fleshed out to generate ROP & WIA Weathers only. ACW & NCP will eventually follow. (Maybe also PON & RUS someday, too.)

Sample invocations:

./mkweathers.pl -t -g rop | less

to display on-screen the WeatherPatterns*.ini files.

./mkweathers.pl -g rop

to write the actual WeatherPatterns*.ini files.

./mkweathers.pl -g rop -s Interior_Uplands

to generate some test files (in the current directory) for displaying individual weather areas (as snow, as shown in later messages in this thread).

I develop and run this script in both Linux and in Windows, using Cygwin for the latter.

If you don't understand any of this "Linux" or "Cygwin" or "Perl" business, don't bother. You care about the end-product. I just display this script here for the curious, and the adventurous. If you want to try out mkweathers.pl yourself, I provide no support for it at present; for now you are on your own. (Use at your own risk! :) )

Now and going forward, I find this script to be tremendously useful in analyzing and developing the ROP (also WIA etc.) Weathers mod(s). I can run the script to test various specifications, and to view various results, in a matter of seconds. It sure beats the tedious and error-prone process of manually editing by hand (using Notepad or whatever) hundreds of lines in a dozen or more text files! (Not to mention doing much the same thing in some .xls file, then running it through the CSV splitter operation.) I use the tools that suit me best, and I like to work quickly and efficiently. And besides, programming is fun! Please see the last line of my sig. ;)

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Some examples of default ROP weather to follow. Then later, examples of the modded weather.

Late December 1756, snow in the lowlands, no snow in the uplands:

Does this seem reasonable to you?

Before you answer that question, consider (sharing my observations, and expressing my opinions):

--In ROP, game turns are half-month. Weather should represent average weather patterns across 15 days, not short-term weather, or passing weather fronts.
--In default ROP, weather anomalies are not uncommon.
--People might cite freak snowstorms or cold snaps, or the rare occasions of inverted continental temperature patterns (warm to the north, cold to the south). But in real life, these are "freak" and "rare". In ROP the game, they do happen, and too often.
--People might cite the "Little Ice Age" (roughly the 16th through the 19th Centuries) and the generally somewhat colder weather toward the end of that age compared to our current weather. But the differences are "somewhat" (in real life, real history), not drastic (as sometimes in the game).

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Early December 1756, snow in mountains/uplands to the west, also to the east, but not in the middle:

Again, does this seem reasonable to you?

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Early November 1756, snow in the truncated Alpine region (around Salzburg), but not in the Alpine regions to the west and east:

The Alpine weather area is too narrow (and a bit too northerly). It needs to be extended to the west and the east.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Late February 1757, snow to the south, no snow to the north, especially in Scandinavia:

Makes a bit of sense under unusual circumstances -- maybe -- but anomalous, usually.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

Early March 1757, snow generally to the south, no snow generally to the north:

An all too common pattern.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Early November 1758, modded weather (as of v0.2):

Snow generally in the mountains and uplands, no snow in the lowlands.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Early November 1758, modded weather (as of v0.2):

The snowless band in the mountains west of Bohemia? Gone! Uniform snowiness in the mountains/uplands everywhere.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Early December 1758, modded weather (as of v0.2):

Plausible: the Baltic Sea is generally colder than the North Sea (with the warmer waters of the Gulf Stream feeding into the latter).

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Late January 1759, modded weather (as of v0.2):

Snow covers the entire map. No crazy quilt pattern of snow/no snow: now you see it, now you don't.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Weather Areas

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

For reference, and for better visualization, images of the various land weather areas follows.

The Alpine area:

Too narrow, and extends too far into the lowlands northward. Needs to encompass also the Alpine areas to the west and east.

Fixing this will require major surgery in the Areas.ini weather area specifications.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Weather Areas

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

The Baltic Coast areas:

The coastal area around Prussia is maybe a bit too broad. Needs to be narrower toward the coast.

Or maybe better: The coastal band in northern Poland needs to be widened southward.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Weather Areas

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 pm

The North Sea Coast area:

Good enough.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Weather Areas

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 pm

The Interior Uplands areas:

Some region reassignments are needed.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Weather Areas

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 pm

The Interior Lowlands areas:

Some region reassignments are needed.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

From The Enyclopedia of Weather and Climate Change, A Complete Visual Guide (Fry et al, University of California Press, copyright 2010):

My goal is to make the ROP (also WIA etc.) weather areas conform to actual climate zones as much as possible.

For North American weathers, I have interpolated a European-like Temperate zone between the sharply divided Continental (to the north) and Subtropical (to the south) climate zones.

So, in WIA, the supposed/interpolated Temperate Zone (a broad band running roughly from Kansas City through St. Louis and on to Washington, D.C.) would correspond to the Temperate Zone covering most of Western Europe, including just about the entire ROP game map. In general, ROP weathers would match the WIA weathers in the latter's middle section.

If you compare the specifications in the mkweathers.pl script (shown earlier), you will see that the @temperate* specifications match in both WIA & ROP. This is just a starting point. In future, I intend to "tilt" the European @temperate* specs colder.

In mkweathers.pl, you will see also that the WIA @continental* specs fairly match the @alpine* specs in ROP (though my intention is also to make the latter somewhat colder).

When specifying the weather numbers, I use actual temperature and precipitation climographs (not shown) for representative locations in Europe and North America.

Note: In v0.2 of the Mod, outside of North America, the @alpine* specs are in fact not (yet) used. I need to fix the Alpine region assignments first.

There will surely be tweaks ahead, but these are my current views of the matter, subject to future change.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 am

That's very nice. I'd like to include this in the next official patch for ROP...

Now, for me it is important to get your changes for weather inside the game's Excel DB, lest I lose track of the modifications/changes.

Could you update this file?
Attachments
RoP_DB_WeatherZones_ver05.rar
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 am

Inclusion in the next official ROP patch would be great.

But I need to work on this some more first. Region reassignments, especially, will require more time.

Maybe I'll have a polished v1.0 of this Mod ready by mid August?

I'll handle incorporation into the "official" DB file, no problem.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:14 am

Perfect for me. I am working with Florent on nice additions for ROP, and I guess they shall become official in September, so it's going to be fine :cool:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:13 pm

I have finished the Rise of Prussia weather zone region reassignments. Or as near to finished as I want to be.

In ROP, weather zones are specified by political areas, not by individual regions. So, in the Areas.ini file, we have:

// Weather zones

// Area #93, Alpine
{Area}
UID = $area_Weather_Alpine
Name = Alpine
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Area_Quebec|§$Area_America|
{/Area}

// Area #94, Baltic Coast
{Area}
UID = $area_Weather_Baltic_Coast
Name = Baltic_Coast
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Area_Memel|§$Area_Ost_Preussen|§$Area_Courland|§$Area_Sweden|§$Area_Mazurien|§$Area_Ost_Pommern|§$Area_West_Pommern|§$Area_Mecklenburg|§$Area_Holstein|§$Area_Sieswigh|§$Area_Denmark|§$Area_Baltic|§$Area_Skane|
{/Area}

[...]

where, for example, §$Area_Memel is defined earlier in the Areas.ini file as:

// Area #0
{Area}
UID = $Area_Memel
Name = $Area_nam_Memel
Hierarchy = 0
ListParams = $Memel|$Wornie|$Heidekrug|$Gardenen|$Rosienne|$Poniewicz|$Widona|$Wileia|$Niemen1|$Niemen2|$Niemen3|$Niemen4|
{/Area}

By specifying weather zones by broader areas, instead of smaller regions, it makes it very convenient. But unfortunately we lose some desired granularity. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

ROP has the weather zones: Interior Uplands, Interior Lowlands, and also Alpine, North Sea Coast, and Baltic Coast.

Here is a topographical map of Europe, with the extent of the ROP map bordered in white:

The Interior Uplands weather zone should correspond to the beige/brown areas of the above map, roughly speaking the lower left triangular half of the game map. (And obviously the Interior Lowlands etc. weather zones should correspond to the upper right green areas of the map. The green areas to the southeast, Slovakia and southward, are off-map staging areas in ROP.)

Here is where the loss of granularity hurts us. It would be nice to designate central Bohemia as lowland, also Wurtemberg in southwest Germany. That is, it would be nice to micromanage upland/lowland designations down to the region level.

But I am not prepared to do that. I want to mod the default ROP weather; but I don't want to overhaul the existing system entirely. I want to retain specifying weather zones by area, not by region.

But the price I pay for that is that some borderline cases -- for example, Westfalen & Hannover -- straddle the upland/lowland, brown/green line. More on those two cases in a moment.

I have revised the Interior Uplands & Interior Lowlands weather zones to be:

// Area #95, Interior Uplands
{Area}
UID = $area_Weather_Interior_Uplands
Name = Interior_Uplands
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Area_Bayern|§$Area_Ostereich|§$Area_Schwaben|§$Area_Hessen|§$Area_Hessen_D|§$Area_Oberpfalz|§$Area_Pilsen|§$Area_Prag|§$Area_Maehren|§$Area_Slovakia|§$Area_Croatie|§$Area_Serbia|§$Area_Transylvania|§$Area_Hungary|§$Area_Great_Polska|§$Area_Russia|§$Area_Sachsen|§$Area_Salzburg|§$Area_Nassau|§$Area_Westfalen|§$Area_Pfalz|§$Area_Baden|§$Area_Oberbayern|§$Area_Wurtemberg|
{/Area}

[...]

// Area #97, Interior Lowlands
{Area}
UID = $area_Weather_Interior_Lowlands
Name = Interior_Lowlands
Hierarchy = -1
ListParams = §$Area_Mazowia|§$Area_Polska|§$Area_Wielo_Polska|§$Area_Malo_Polska|§$Area_Lodz|§$Area_Bromberg|§$Area_Poznan|§$Area_Neumark|§$Area_Nieder_Schlesien|§$Area_Nieder_Lausitz|§$Area_Brandenburg|§$Area_Hannover|§$Area_Braunschweig|§$Area_Anhalt|§$Area_Lorraine|§$Area_France|§$Area_Ober_Schlesien|§$Area_Ober_Lausitz|
{/Area}

This represents a shift of

§$Area_Sachsen|§$Area_Salzburg|§$Area_Nassau|§$Area_Westfalen|§$Area_Pfalz|§$Area_Baden|§$Area_Oberbayern|§$Area_Wurtemberg|

from Lowlands to Uplands, and

§$Area_Ober_Schlesien|§$Area_Ober_Lausitz|

from Uplands to Lowlands.

Following is the revised Interior Uplands zone, shown as snowy areas (Interior Lowlands, etc. are shown without snow).

Interior Uplands, northwest:

Interior Uplands, northeast:

Interior Uplands, southwest:

Interior Uplands, southeast:

Compare and contrast the Mod Interior Uplands with the existing default Interior Uplands displayed earlier in this message thread (i.e., see above).

As you can see in the modded changes, we now have the south and southwest portions of the game map almost entirely Interior Uplands, corresponding roughly to the brown areas of the topographic map.

What you might also see is that to the northwest, around Westfalen & Hannover, the uplands extend a bit too far north (into the topographic map green area). (Similarly, the lowlands now extend a bit too far south around Ober_Schlesien & Ober_Lausitz.)

What I'd really like to do is to split Westfalen & Hannover (also Ober_Schlesien & Ober_Lausitz) into two north-south halves, and assign the different halves appropriately. The upland/lowland zones could then conform still better to actual topography.

But as I said, I am not prepared to start mucking around with reassigning regions to different areas -- too much work, and would probably break other game aspects besides. So I accept the imperfection. (Believe it or not, I can do that! ;) )

The way I am specifying the weather numbers, it actually doesn't make all that much difference whether a region is Interior Uplands or Interior Lowlands. Also, offsetting the southern upland coolness, the lowlands are generally to the north, and of course northward implies cooler. So it all comes out in the wash.

Note that I have emptied the Alpine weather zone of any European areas. In part, it's because the game map extends southward into the south German and Austrian Alps just a bit. If you look closely at the "Climate Zones of Europe" map several messages above this one (msg #17), you will see that the game map doesn't extend quite as far south as the Alpine zone. Here, too, I don't want to micromanage region assignments to create a one-region-tall Alpine weather band hugging the extreme south of the game map (assuming that were even appropriate). Not much if any game play happens around the south map edge anyway. The south map edge is all Interior Uplands. Good enough.

The other weather zones? I will probably leave well enough alone. (In particular, not tweak the Baltic Coast zone around north Poland & East Prussia.)

So, with the weather zone area reassignments done, I'll turn my attention back to my researches, and specifying the month-to-month weather numbers.

(And, yes Phil, I will make these area reassignments in the appropriate DB file when it comes time for that.)

Later...

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:22 pm

This looks very exciting (as in the other games too !) :thumbsup:
Thanks for your labour.

Bernadotte

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Berto's ROP Weathers Mod v0.3

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I have prepared v0.3 of Berto's ROP Weathers Mod. To download, see the first message in this thread.

v0.3 incorporates the weather zone region reassignments described in msg #21 of this thread (see above), also tweaks the month-to-month weather numbers.

The v0.3 weather specifications are:

@areastemperate = ("Interior_Lowlands", "Interior_Uplands", "North_Sea_Coast", "Baltic_Coast");
    @areasall      = (@areascontinental, @areastemperate);

By now, I have played through two years of the Grand Campaign using these specifications. That includes two separate cold seasons (late autumn into early spring). I am pretty happy with the weather patterns I see. But I think some coastal area weather adjustments may be necessary.

You should know that v1.0 of this new weather model will become the default Weathers in the next official ROP patch release (due out this autumn). So I encourage you to give these beta versions a try. Your feedback is welcome.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Berto's ROP Weathers Mod v0.4

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm

I have prepared v0.4 of Berto's ROP Weathers Mod. To download, see the first message in this thread.

v0.4 moves $Area_Lorraine from Interior_Lowlands to Interior_Uplands; moves the North_Sea_Coast weather area into a new areastemperatecoastal group; and "tilts" North_Sea_Coast water regions to temperatewarm.

The v0.4 weather specifications are:

@areastemperate = ("Interior_Lowlands", "Interior_Uplands", "Baltic_Coast");
    @areastemperatecoastal = ("North_Sea_Coast");
    @areasall      = (@areascontinental, @areastemperate, @areastemperatecoastal);

Although the Lorraine area is actually lowland, it looks odd to have this sliver of land in the southwest of the map with its own weather patterns, separate from the upland areas around it. So I moved $Area_Lorraine from Interior_Lowlands to Interior_Uplands.

I have moved the North_Sea_Coast weather area into a new areastemperatecoastal group; and "tilted" North_Sea_Coast water regions to temperatewarm. This is to model the effect of the warm Gulf Stream waters feeding into the North Atlantic and North Seas. For the Baltic_Coast water regions, there is no "tilt", however. The Baltic_Coast water regions share the same weather as the coastal regions surrounding them.

If you do a run through, from cold weather month to month, generally speaking you will observe four distinct common winter weather patterns:

--snow in the northeast lowland areas of the game map, no snow to the southwest
--snow in the southwest upland areas, no snow to the northeast
--snow in the mountain and hilly regions only, no snow in the lowlands
--snow everywhere

There are minor exceptions, and occasional deviations from that; but that summary describes the winter weather fairly accurately.

I have set the month-to-month weather numbers to mute winter's harshness, with HarshWeather in the hills and mountains only, and Snow at worst in the lowlands. This is because:

--We are modeling generally a Temperate climate here (not Alpine, for reasons stated earlier; and not the small Continental portion in southeastern Poland, which is not worth excepting).
--During the actual Seven Years War, there was in fact significant winter campaigning, sometimes even in January.

Usually, in January the entire map will be snow covered (with HarshWeather in the hills and mountains); but in December and February, it's 50-50 chance snow vs. rain/mud; and in November and March, usually you will see rain, and only occasionally snow. Note that it is still possible to see snow in the hills and mountains extending into April.

(I am not real happy about keeping the designation "Alpine". Long-term, it could create confusion, if you don't understand the rationale for this mod. But I am likely to keep Alpine, etc., because again I want to make as few changes as possible to the default weather area names, aliases, region assignments, etc. The more the changes, the greater the chance of introducing bugs.)

You should know that v1.0 of this new weather model will become the default Weathers in the next official ROP patch release (due out soon). v1.0 fast approaches; this is all getting closer and closer to being settled.

Conflux
Civilian

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Many thanks for this Berto, I've downloaded it and looking forward to trying it out at the weekend...

Xaloc
General of the Army

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 am

What a great work! Thanks for that berto, I'll try it in RoP and in WIA too!

By the way, are you planning to do the same for AACW? thanks again! :thumbsup:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:10 am

Yes, after WIA & ROP, I'll be redoing ACW & NCP weathers, too.

I expect to finalize the ROP weathers mod before the end of August, then soon afterward WIA.

(But right now, I'm focusing on another secret, behind-the-scenes project. ;) )

Nikel

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:31 am

berto wrote:
(But right now, I'm focusing on another secret, behind-the-scenes project. ;) )

Uh?

Is another AGEod game upcoming? :w00t:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am

New game? Maybe, maybe not, can't say.

No, I'm working on something else. :siffle:

(Hints: It applies to all AGEOD games. And it's deep and arcane.)

Nikel

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh, understood too much then...

It is your own project, waiting for the news ;)

Return to “RoP Mods”