Durk

Bug in Multiplayer Game

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:07 am

Some files for your consideration. Game crashes upon opening.
Attachments
MP_CCC_ROP~PRU.zip
(462.94 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

Pocus

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 am

Hi Durk,

It seems 2 units got some corrupted data, they are erroneously linked to an unknown army. You need to clear your saved game of these data and ask the host to do the same in the host file, hopefully the turn will run correctly. With data fixed in your TRN file, I was able to load your turn at least.

I'll also edit the code (for others AGE games mostly) so that this kind of error is dealt with in a better way.

You need to use an efficient text editor, like notepad++ (freeware) to open the TRN. Double click on the .TRN file you have and when Windows asks you about which software to use, choose notepad++ executable. Same for the HST file when the host will edit the file.

Then search for '1004137', this is the reference to the first bugged unit. You should see some line below these lines

NULL
L
NULL
#CbtPower#105#CbtPower#

Change the L to NULL.

Now search for '1003998'. Some lines below, you get:
NULL
#CbtPower#105#CbtPower#

change the 0 to NULL, change the -1 to NULL.

Save, quit, load your game :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Durk

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Many thanks. Worked so far.

Durk

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 pm

I spoke too soon. Crash after beginning turn execution first turn of four player game. All four players did a fresh install and are in the same upgrade patch.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attachments
MP CCC_x2.zip
(737.87 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

Bohémond

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 am

Really weird,

Could you delete the models.cached file (ROP\GameData\models) and the units.cached file (ROP\gameData\Units) ?

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Durk

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 am

So, deleted both files. Game crashed at the same point.

I can send new files but I suspect the are very similar to old files.

Bohémond

Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 am

We, some spanish forumers and myself, are playing a 5 players PBEM, based on the 4 players scenarios, and we have no problem so far, Turn 10 is ongoing.

That is why I suspect that crash can come from a corrupt installacion.

Are you the host ?

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Durk

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 am

I am the host. Another person who is not in this game but is also in a different 4 player game has taken the task to try and host this game and see if he has better luck.
I wonder who has the corrupt installation? I just repurchased the game with a fresh version and fresh update.

Durk

Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 am

So we are working through this issue. Seems some of the issue is due to the game not recognizing the Prussian ord file, more later.

homet
Corporal

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm hosting Durk's game while he is working out the technical issue mentioned above. As host, I ran into a problem that I've seen before (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?29969-Odd-File-Exchange-Problem). While I received orders from all the players, ROP didn't recognize the Prussian orders. Notice the lack of a paper clip next to the Prussian entry in the ROP load page:

[ATTACH]27042[/ATTACH]

The orders files are text based, so I confirmed that I could open it with a text editor. A quick glance shows the Prussian orders to look similar to the orders from the other players. I've attached the game files for the current turn below. Could someone tell me why the Prussian orders aren't recognized by ROP? Note that if I try to read the Prussian order file I don't see any orders displayed on the screen.

[ATTACH]27043[/ATTACH]

Lastly, we did figure out a workaround. If the host can't recognize a players order, the host can create a dummy orders file and send it to the player. The player can then edit the orders file, create their own orders and send it back to the host. At that point, it appears that ROP will recognize the orders file.
Attachments
MP CCC x3 Prussian Order Question.zip
(512.38 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Capture_ROP.PNG

Durk

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:19 am

For those of you with similar issues, homet has fixed our game, knock on wood. See his solution.
New update in a few days.

homet
Corporal

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:24 am

Durk-You're a much more optimistic person than I. I think there is still a problem lurking out there. To recap, Durk started as host of a 4 player game and quickly ran in the problem mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I offered to step in as an independent host and try and help him on the side. As the independent host, I was able to move the game along a few turns. We then tried to move the game back to Durk as the host. Once again he quickly ran into the same problem. I then resumed the role as independent host.

When Durk saw the problem both times, the symptom was that the game would crash when he tried to read in the Austrian side or executed the turn from his side (the French). I was able to reproduce his symptoms on my computer. In our latest go around, we have tried something different in an attempt to determine where the corrupted files were coming from. My role is now as an intermediary. Durk acts as host and executes the turn. He then checks that he can read in each players side. He then forwards me the files and I verify that I too can read the files. I send the files out to the other players and as I receive the files back, we reverse the process. I verify that I can read in the orders from each of the players, pass the files to Durk and he verifies the files as well before executing the turn. We were hoping that I could spot a corrupted file coming from Durk or a corrupted file coming from one the players. Unfortunately, this convoluted process has worked, even though Durk has returned to his host role. Does anyone have any ideas about another way to debug Durk's original problem?

On a more selfish note, does anyone have an idea why the Prussian orders in the file I posted above are not recognized by the game?

Durk

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 am

As you can tell from the time distance of this post from Homet's last post, we spent some time figuring out what was going on to cause the game to crash. What we isolated to, actually homet gets the credit for this detective work, is that players should follow the guideline of every game manual to zip or rar all files before exchange. Dropbox works well, too. But do not send raw files. These get corrupted. Now that we are all zipping files, no more issues.

Addriano
Civilian

Fri May 09, 2014 6:22 am

Play one piece online game for free. No install & download required just visit Gamernizer.com & start playing your favourite game. We have couple of online games like pirate king international & Rage of 3 Kingdoms.

Durk

Fri May 16, 2014 2:42 am

The ROP multiplayer continues. I am really curious to learn how the mod to make two Prussian players, five players in all, is going.

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”