mpopofsky
Conscript

Will ROP Gold run properly on Windows 8?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 am

I've had issues with RUS and was curious others' experiences.

Durk

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 pm

I use Windows 8 for all Ageod games including RUS and ROP. For me, the only thing I have to do is to run as an administrator; which you can do one of two ways:
Right click the mouse and select 'run as an administrator,'
Go into properties of the short cut icon and permanently change to run as an administrator.

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Durk wrote:I use Windows 8 for all Ageod games including RUS and ROP. For me, the only thing I have to do is to run as an administrator; which you can do one of two ways:
Right click the mouse and select 'run as an administrator,'
Go into properties of the short cut icon and permanently change to run as an administrator.

Is that necessary even if you install to a general location like c:\games\Rise of Prussia\
?

Durk

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Yes - Because Windows 8 runs all programs without administrative permission, and because these permissions are needed for some game routines, you will get some odd behavior and/or crashes if you do not run as an administrator. It is actually easy to do. Just right click and select run as admin.
In XP and Vista Windows makes you the admin by default. Windows 8 is trying to keep you from allowing viruses by denying these privileges as its default.

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Durk wrote:and because these permissions are needed for some game routines, you will get some odd behavior and/or crashes if you do not run as an administrator.

That surprises me. What kind of services are used that that now require administrative permissions, after file access has been given to all game directories?

Durk

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:46 pm

I am not a technical guy. I just know this makes it work.
Maybe someone else can help out.

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”