Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Weather/terrian bug?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi there, I have a problem, the terrain type window shows nothing for gale or storm weather on shallow water, I have included a screen shot, is my installation messed up or is it a bug?

Also when there is a gale in a region on land, the region is white for snow, is that normal?

Thanks
Attachments
ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 12 22.20.jpg

Pocus

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:29 am

Harsh weather in land regions should be called snow storm, not gale... this is a typo.

As for the missing graphic, we will see that, thanks.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Cool, they are only cosmetic bug's, but I thought I should mention them :)

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Just a question, how would I go about correcting the Gale/snow typo, which file would I have to edit?

Thanks

lodilefty

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Longhairedlout wrote:Just a question, how would I go about correcting the Gale/snow typo, which file would I have to edit?

Thanks

I think it's a "code issue", as the text is correct for both in the LocalStrings_roP.csv :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 pm

After some looking around I've found that the gale typo/ wrong weather graphic in the upper left corner only happens in some clear terrain regions, in pic 1 it works correctly and in pic 2 its got the gale typo/wrong graphic problem, the 2 regions are right next to each other, strange.....

After another look, forest terrain where its snowing has the correct weather picture in the upper left but has the gale typo....

Also Karlsbad has no terrain/weather graphic, I can see through to the map....

Im not trying to pick at faults in the game, Im just trying to help make a great game even better :)

Thanks
Attachments
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 1.jpg

Pocus

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:33 pm

That's totally ok, no problem.

The string to use for each weather is in the terrain files, Lodi.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Hope you guy's at Ageod don't mind but I edited the terrain files and sorted the weather typo's and wrong terrain's pictures for myself :)

Cheers

PhilThib

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 pm

No problem...may be you could send us back your work so that we all benefit from it :)

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Ok PhilThib here are the edited terrain files in a Zip file, I've tested them and they seem OK :)
Attachments
Terrains.zip
(44.44 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

lodilefty

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Longhairedlout wrote:Ok PhilThib here are the edited terrain files in a Zip file, I've tested them and they seem OK :)

Good work!

My only concern is the use of the exact same name for two different weather types.

Example:
In 0Clear.ter you use $Weather_nam_Snow for both "Snow" and "Harsh Weather"...

These two weather results do have different effects on combat and movement, so we shouldn't cause confusion by using same names.

Here is the DB for these, if you wish to more easily see what I mean:
[ATTACH]10596[/ATTACH]

Each tab will generate a Weather file for that terrain type via the mysteries of the csv splitter process ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Lodi

Excuse me for my ignorance :bonk: , this is the first time I've tinkered with any of your games files, snow is harsh weather, so what's the difference between the Snow entry and the Harsh weather entry?

Thanks

Just a thought, could one of them be called Frozen?

lodilefty

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Longhairedlout wrote:Hi Lodi

Excuse me for my ignorance :bonk: , this is the first time I've tinkered with any of your games files, snow is harsh weather, so what's the difference between the Snow entry and the Harsh weather entry?

Thanks

Just a thought, could one of them be called Frozen?

Welcome to the world of Modding & Game Development :thumbsup:

Harsh Weather is known as Frozen in WIA, AACW

AFAIK, the term 'Frozen' was dropped.....
It's a simple thing to substitute different 'displayed' names for each level, as we only edit the strings file for each 'alias' [ex: $Weather_nam_Gale
is an alias, with the word Gale assigned in strings file, English language column]

For differences:
If you look at rows 18-29 for each terrain, you'll see the movement [in days] required to enter that terrain

Then you start with all the combat effects etc.
Harsh Weather usually gives less supply, different range modifieres, etc.

Some entries are self-evident, some are rather obscure...

I've got to go find my decoder for the Combat modifiers, as each set of 6 are for different 'families' of combat forces

I'm not trying to confuse you, really! For our purpose here, we just need to know that each weather type has different effects. From our AACW days, think Clear, Mud, Snow, Frozen, Blizzard and replace the names as desired [and we can use different names for water than for land = hence Gale ;) ]

Clear as Mud? ....or Rain? ;)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:52 pm

I guessed the Days to enter region bit, why did you drop "Frozen" name if you don't mind me asking? oh and thanks for the welcome :)

Earlier in the this thread Philthib said that harsh weather had been changed from frozen to Snow storm, but when I change it to that it says $weather_nam_Snowstorm in game instead of Snowstorm like it should, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance :)

Return to “ROP Technical support / Aide technique”