Ebbingford

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Don't forget this one "His Britannic Majesty's Army in Germany during the Seven Years War" by Sir Reginald Savory.
I got mine from here http://www.18thcenturypress.com/savory.html

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks, Ebbingford, Savory is the second title on my wishlist anyway. :) I'm just a bit worried that the work is a bit old (1966). Can you recommend it? Is it focused on the organisation/structure of the army, on the operations, on tactics?
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Ebbingford

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:43 am

I bought it when I started on the RoP beta, and read it then. I seem to remember it covers a bit of everything and was a good read. :thumbsup:
As the title suggests though it only covers the allies efforts of Cumberland and then Ferdinand, the campaigns that involved British troops.

Florent

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm

An excellent book.

lecrop
Captain

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:30 pm

MarechaldeSaxe
Civilian

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Kronoskaf's list is growing well. Lots of free titles/pdfs/ebooks by eminent historians. Also a lot of contemporary works on the subject. Some of the German works were translated into English and French.

This is my first post, so I can't post the link, but it is easy to find in Google. Just type "kronoskaf".

MarechaldeSaxe
Civilian

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Also, Google books has done an excellent job of scanning a huge amount of material that covers the period in English, French and German. Archive.org is also an excellent site for finding out of print/out of copyright materials.

Here's one that is a classic:

Sir Julian Stafford Corbett - England in the Seven Years War: a study in combined strategy (2 volumes).

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 am

Two new recommendations:

Erik A. Lund, War for the every day. Generals, knowledge and warfare in early modern europe, 1680-1740 (Contributions in military studies 181, 1999). [based on habsburg generals of the "1683-generation"]
Jürgen Luh, Kriegskunst in Europa (1650-1800) (2004). [mainly based on the silesian wars]

I found both works interesting because they don't give battles that much importance. Rather, they shift focus to manoeuvre warfare, sieges and supply problems. In the common perception of the seven years war there is a tendency to overestimate the role of battles and tactical innovation, as opposed to everyday operations, smallwar (mainly for supplies/fourage) and, especially, sieges.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Since 2012, a dissertation is being worked on:

Philipp Batelka, Gewaltakteure im Kleinen Krieg. Kroaten und Panduren in den Kabinettskriegen des 18. Jahrhunderts (1733-1763). [Agents of Violence in Small War: Croats and Pandurs during the Cabinet Wars of the 18th Century (1733-1763)]

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:22 am

Stephan Huck, Soldaten gegen Nordamerika. Lebenswelten Braunschweiger Subsidientruppen im amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg (Beiträge zur Militärgeschichte 69, München 2011). [on the experience of Brunswick troops fighting in the AWI]

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:37 pm

For any 7-Years-War afficionado, Hainfeld castle in Styria (Austria) must have been a wet dream. In February 1763, its former owner count (and fieldmarshal-lieutenant) Wenzel of Hammer-Purgstall (who had lost his younger brother Joseph Alois in the war) dedicated a whole room to fieldmarshal Laudon's military deeds. The room featured huge, panorama-like paintings that were fixed to the walls and showed the battles of Kunersdorf, Domstadtl, Landeshut, Glatz 1760, Hochkirch and Schweidnitz. Unfortunately, after they had been neglected for decades and taken on a very bad condition, the paintings have been dismantled and sold in 2012, and I couldn't find any photos on the internet. The Laudon-room also featured overdoor-paintings, two of which have been sold/auctioned some time ago (see attached images). The third one shows grenzers performing a round dance (black&white photo of rather bad quality in Reitinger cited below).

Moreover, Hainfeld castle also housed a collection of 58 high quality 18th century portraits of Styrian noblemen, amongst them quite a few 7YW generals and officers shown in their uniforms, which was unfortunately sold in 2011. Luckily, the title cited below (Reitinger) features top-notch images of all 58 portraits. I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure that some of these would be great additions to RoP's portraits.

Interestingly, in his dedication to military affairs count Hammer-Purgstall was not alone, as I've pointed out here. Count Joseph Casimir Draskovic of Trakoscan, general in the habsburg army during the 7YW, decorated one room of his castle in Croatia with wall-paintings of his troops, and filled the walls of another room with 40 (!!!) portraits of himself!

Reitinger also mentions a third incidence of a 7YW-battle-room in Brezovica castle near Zagreb, which has partly fallen vicitm to vandalism in 2009.

Literature:
For more information on the battle rooms of the above mentioned castles see Franz REITINGER, Die Metastasier. Geschmackseliten im 18. Jahrhundert (Salzburg 2016) 41-55. Unfortunately, it features only very few photos of rather small size as far as the Loudon-room of Hainfeld castle is concerned. It does, however, offer all the 58 portraits (most of which are not online, as far as I can see) of the portrait-collection including short biographies/dates and, apart from that, since it touches on 18th century portrait-painting in general, offers more depictions of 7YW habsburg generals than I have seen in any other book so far. Apart from Hainfeld, it also offers a few photos/details from Trakoscan castle and Brezovica castle.
Attachments
0358-32a.jpg
0358-32.jpg

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:44 pm

Another interesting 18th century curiosity: wooden, full-size dummy board soldiers! Still better than garden gnomes if you ask me!

Examples:

french (Musée des Invalides, Paris)
british (National Army Museum, London)
habsburg (grenadier and pandur/croat/grenzer; from a Sothebys auction 2006; no info regarding provenance online?, now probably private? see here)

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat May 07, 2016 2:57 pm

THE JOURNAL OF HORACE ST. PAUL

As I'm really diving into the 1757 Kolín campaign for my mod, I've already gathered sufficient information on the setup of the Prussian troops, thanks to the "Großer Generalstab" opus magnus. However, for the Habsburg side, I've got the general idea, but not the exact set-up of Dauns force on May 10th and the reinforcements up to the battle of Kolín in June. Unfortunately, the "austrian" version of the "Großer Generalstab" got stuck in the War of the Austrian Succession. Therefore, I was looking for the journal of Horace St. Paul (1729-1812) (no english wiki-entry available, it seems), who was aide-de-camp of Daun and left a comprehensive journal that would help me a lot, judging from what I could already read in the 1756-account. Even though he was in Prague under siege in May/June 1757, and not in Dauns army, there could still be some valuable information in it.

The journal has been published recently by Gralene Books, translated and edited by Neil Cogswell, in several tomes (or rather booklets) one of which I already own (the 1756 one). Unfortunately, the others seem to be unavailable for now. The journal has been published before in 1914 (Cambridge University Press), but the only online access I could find was this one: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000459928 . Unfortunately, it's for US only. Since the view of the book doesn't load for me (even with US proxy, it gets stuck in the "loading-animation"), I wanted to ask if there is someone from the US who could try and see if it loads properly (and perhaps send it to me :D ). I would be very thankfull.

PS. For anyone who understands German, here are the links to the two relevant "Großer Generalstab"-tomes for 1757:
series 3 (7YW), tome 2: INvasion of Bohemia & battle of Prague: ??? can't find it right now. I've got it as a PDF, but I remember it was pretty hard to find.
series 3 (7YW), tome 3: battle of Kolín, the Prussian retreat from Bohemia: http://digital.ub.uni-potsdam.de/content/pageview/151895

Pretty much all the tomes of the "Großer Generalstab" (except for hard-to-find tome 2/Prague) are available online here. Scroll down, then search for "Friedrich" and click all the results (the titles don't show, you have to find them out yourselves).

Nikel

Sat May 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi.

You can get the book through google using a proxy.

Try this link:

https://books.google.es/books?id=JmiEAAAAIAAJ&q=journal+seven+years+war+horace&dq=journal+seven+years+war+horace&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

And this proxy selecting USA:

https://hide.me/en/proxy

It is the usual bad quality google scan with maps lost.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat May 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks a lot, Nikel! It works! :)
Let's see how usefull it is! I'm warming up my french.

PS:
Unfortunately, it hardly contains information on Dauns camoagin against Bevern up to Kolín. But generally speaking, it's highly interesting for understanding 18th century warfare. You get to know lots of the day-to-day business. For example, the order of marching is given on a day-to-day basis, telling you in how many columns the army split up and where it made camp (often for what reason). You can tell that this is precious information coming from an aide de camp - information you usually don't get to know in accounts of campaigns and battles.

Nikel

Sat May 07, 2016 3:53 pm

At your service :hat:

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Mon May 09, 2016 9:15 am

Many of Fredericks military treatises and instructions are available here (tomes 28-30, scroll down to "Oeuvres militaires"): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_literarischen_Werke_Friedrichs_des_Gro%C3%9Fen

I found this one nice in particular:
"Quand les Autrichiens sont en campagne, on peut deviner les jours qu'ils marcheront; car un usage dont ils ne s'écartent jamais, c'est de faire cuire le soldat tous les jours de marche. Ainsi donc, lors qu'on voit dans leur camp beaucoup de fumée avant midi, à cinq ou huit heures du matin, on peut compter qu'ils feront un mouvement le meme jour."

If it smells like "Schnitzel", we're moving. ;)

vbrnardic
Civilian

Re: Dear Sir, do you maybe have a picture of a third picture form Loudon+s Room showing grenzers preforming round dance?

Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 am

[quote="JacquesDeLalaing"]For any 7-Years-War afficionado, Hainfeld castle in Styria (Austria) must have been a wet dream. In February 1763, its former owner count (and fieldmarshal-lieutenant) Wenzel of Hammer-Purgstall (who had lost his younger brother Joseph Alois in the war) dedicated a whole room to fieldmarshal Laudon's military deeds. The room featured huge, panorama-like paintings that were fixed to the walls and showed the battles of Kunersdorf, Domstadtl, Landeshut, Glatz 1760, Hochkirch and Schweidnitz. Unfortunately, after they had been neglected for decades and taken on a very bad condition, the paintings have been dismantled and sold in 2012, and I couldn't find any photos on the internet. The Laudon-room also featured overdoor-paintings, two of which have been sold/auctioned some time ago (see attached images). The third one shows grenzers performing a round dance (black&white photo of rather bad quality in Reitinger cited below).

Dear Sir,
do you maybe have a picture of a third picture form Loudon+s Room showing grenzers preforming round dance?
Thank you vrey much!

Return to “RoP History Club”