Jim-NC

Manstein (USA) vs. Redeemer (CSA)

Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 am

Let the match begin.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 1 orders

Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 am

Manstein:

The USA side is a steamroller at this scenario and his real fight isn´t against rebel forces, but his real fight is against the USA side at the other game. Which USA player will defeat the CSA side first?
The USA must be quick to defeat the CSA forces and conquer all the CSA objectives as soon as possible. But at the beginning, the USA forces are very split and not well coordinated and commanded, moreover the meteorological conditions are not the best for to begin a campaign against the CSA.
Although this round will be 24 turns, really the campaigns will last only about 6 months (12 turns) and the USA player must plan very well his logistical possibilities for when the good time begins.

[ATTACH]11273[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11274[/ATTACH]

Redeemer:
CSA - don't lose badly! I will try to avoid battles and withdraw as necessary while I try to gather a force large enough for a counter strike somewhere. I will harrass rear areas with cav. I will concede the far west and try to move those forces east. I build a few milita and cav, but am being very conserative with my draft and financial choices to try and make up victory points.

[ATTACH]11275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11276[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 1 west orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 1 east orders.JPG
Man USA turn 1 west orders.JPG
Man USA turn 1 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 1 battles and results

Mon May 03, 2010 2:24 am

There were 2 minor battles, and 1 major battle. There was 1 minor naval engagement. Vicksburg bombarded the Union twice (51 hits inflicted, 2 received).

[ATTACH]11277[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11278[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 1 results.JPG
Man USA turn 1 battle clarksville.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Note on campaign

Mon May 03, 2010 2:25 am

As Redeemer and Manstein were giving me turn by turn orders/commentary, I am not posting as detailed a report about this set of campaigns as with the JDT/Johnnycai matchup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 orders

Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 am

Manstein:

The armies are being restructured. My requirements are:
-Army of Potomac (N.Virginia-->Richmond)= 25 divisions;
-Mississippi Command (Tennessee-->Atlanta)= 17 divisions;
-Army of Tennessee (W.Vicksburg-->Vicksburg-->Mobile-->Atlanta)= 9 divisions;
-Army of South West (Arkansas-->Little Rock)= 2 divisions;
-Coastal detachment (Florida/S.Carolina)= 2 divisions;
-Reaction forces (all theaters)= 5 cav divisions

All reinforcements are being rail transported to their meeting points, to begin the spring campaign when the meteorological conditions will be good.

I suppose that Redeemer will play to the same as me, reinforcing his army and waiting.

[ATTACH]11437[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11439[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 2 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 2 west 1 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 2 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 orders continued

Fri May 14, 2010 3:03 am

Redeemer:

Purchases: 2 MO Cav, and 26 militia companies from VA, NC, TN, & KY. Also purchased one locomotive and one river transport, supply distribution is a real problem atm. In the east I want to hold the Rappahannock as long as possible, while using Longstreet's Corps to try and destroy any coastal lodgements, the only movements in the east are bring reinforcements up to the lines. In the west I took Clarksville with Wheeler and am trying to destroy that depot before they can retake it. I hope this will stop the advance towards chattanooga. I am withdrawing the AoTenn to the Chattanooga line and will use one of the two corps to reinforce another area (to be determined.) Along the MS, I am try to delay Grants crossing, but once his is across I will abandon Vicksburg hopefully destroying the depot and withdraw into the interior. In the far west I am using mobile forces to try again to attack depots to stall offensives. Watie and Bee will be my primary mobile commanders. If succussful in destroying the Army of Southwest supply line and forcing them to withdraw, I will pull far west forces and try to get them over the MS.

[ATTACH]11440[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11441[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11442[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 2 west 2 orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 2 west 1 orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 2 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 2 battles and results

Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 am

There were 5 minor, and 1 major battles. There was 1 minor naval engagement was well.

[ATTACH]11443[/ATTACH]

It appears that I forgot to take a screen shot of the results. But don't worry, I will have results after turn 3.
Attachments
Man USA turn 2 battle.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 orders (late April)

Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 am

Manstein:

The Army of Potomac, at N.Virginia, continues growing it's forces. In 2 or 3 more turns, the total divisions will be about 20 divisions, and beginning the good time I will attack the rebel lines to Richmond.

At Nashville, my army under Ord's command his growing his forces too, and I hope to have about 15 divisions in a few turns, then I will attack Chattanooga to Atlanta. The forces around Memphis has formed the right wing Corps of this army, under Cook's command, stationed now at Corinth, defending the pass to Memphis, but it will take the offensive posture when Ord´s army attacks Chattanooga. This Cook´s Corps is really a joker, because ha can support the Ord advance to the south or to be placed under Grant command and support Grant´s army around Vicksburg. He will be used depending on how the rebel forces will be positioned.

Sherman's Corps under Grant's Army is crossing now the Mississippi at Port Hudson, with 5 divisions, supported by McPherson's Corps, with 4 divisions, placed at Baton Rouge and moving to Clinton(MS). When both corps are adjacent, both will attack to Vicksburg from the south.

At Transmississppi, Reynolds' Corps from the Army of South West, under Curtis's command, has conquered the Ft.Smith depot and when the meteorological conditions will be better, he will continue his advance to Little Rock.

[ATTACH]11474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11476[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 3 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 3 west 1 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 3 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 orders continued

Tue May 18, 2010 2:57 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - locomotives and a VA brigade. East. Attack by Longstreet towards Norfolk failed, moving him back towards Richmond. Moving Hardee from AoTenn towards the east. Initial Cav purchases coming online, moving them to the front to start raiding/rail destruction. Moved Lee back to Richmond to protect from an attack from Norfolk until Hardee can come east. Still working on trying to dislodge some of the coastal landings. West - Moving small force from Mobile under J Johnston towards New Orleans to try and get a reaction and draw off troops. Grant may get across this turn, still trying to prevent it. Moving Cav up and holding ground with AoTenn. Wheeler destroyed the depot and got away, now pulling back to refit. Far West. All attacks on the supply line failed. Will pull back Ft Smith forces to Little Rock after loss there. Only raiders will go north in the Far West now. Moving Smith west towards Monroe to threaten Grants supply line.

[ATTACH]11477[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11478[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11479[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 3 west 2 orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 3 west 1 orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 3 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 3 battles and results

Tue May 18, 2010 2:59 am

There were 4 minor battles, and Savannah bombarded the union for 47 hits, suffering 0 in return.

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11480[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 3 results.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 4 (Early May) orders

Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 am

Manstein:

At East all quiet. Both of us are still maintaining our positions. My forces still growing and at 2 turns I could attack with 4 corps with 5 full divisions each. I think that with 20 divisions I could break easily the rebel defense behind the Rappahannock minor river.
Meanwhile, I have moved by ships all the troops at Virginia coast to Norfolk. I only need move the Foster force, actually besieged at New Berne, to Norfolk to form a new Corps with 3 full divisions and move to the south of Richmond, for support the Army of Potomac attack from north. Marines and sharpshooters have been sea transported to Norfolk to complete the new divisions formations.

At Nashville all quiet too. The Mississippi Command, under Ord's command, is growing too. Soon, about 15 full divisions will move to the south and attack Chattanooga and Atlanta. McCook's Corps at Corinth still with his task of being the hinge, closing the pass to rebel forces to Memphis and being the border between Grant's and Ord's armies, supporting the army which needs some forces.

At Vicksburg zone, Sherman's Corps (3,000 strength poitns) is at Port Hudson and advancing to Natchez, supported by McPherson's Corps (2,300 strength points) at Clinton(MS) and advancing to Pike(MS). At 5 turn, if the rebel forces have not left Vicksburg, I will try to attack Jackson(MS) and I will try to isolate the rebel forces.

At Transmississippi front, Reynolds' Corps is advancing slowly to Little Rock. I have some problems with the food (I have all my depots and I conquered the Ft.Smith depot; I don´t know what will be the federal problems in the other game, because I get blow up the Ft.Smith depot (as the CSA).

[ATTACH]11501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11502[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11503[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 4 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 4 west 1 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 4 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 4 orders continued

Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 am

Redeemer:

Purchases -locomotives, river transports and replacements only. Supplies are an issue everywhere. East, waiting for the shoe to drop, he has been way too quiet. continuing to bring reinforcements up while working on getting rid of the coastal landings. West - Cav going forward to start ripping up rails. Pulling AofMS north around Vicksburg, but will withdraw if pressed. Far West. Sending Bee north for a raid, bringing the rest back for resupply, moving some troops eastward.

[ATTACH]11505[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11506[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11507[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 4 east orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 4 west 2 orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 4 west 2.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 4 battles and results

Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 am

There were 7 minor battles, and 1 minor naval battle. Savannah bombarded union shipping for 50 points, and was hit for 2 points.

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11508[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 4 results.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 orders

Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 am

Manstein:

No comments on this turn from Manstein.

[ATTACH]11512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11514[/ATTACH]

Editors notes: AOP moves southwards to attack ANV. AOC reinforces and moves toward Winchester. AOT assaults Vicksburg and Jackson. ASW attacks Little Rock.
Attachments
Man USA turn 5 west orders 2.JPG
Man USA turn 5 west orders.JPG
Man USA turn 5 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 orders continued

Thu May 20, 2010 2:32 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - Railroads and River Transports ( I need supplies!) East - pretty stagnant. I can see Pinkerton and a supply unit in Roanoke, VA, so I am thinking a larger unit is there and coming for my supply line. I try to move units to block, but I don't know how big it is or where it is going. Richmond is so vunerable while the troops starve in the line to the north. I am almost ready to try to push out Hunter from SC, but it looks like he brought a fleet in to maybe get him out?. West - Pulling AofMS back to Jackson, MS. Most other moves are Cav raids. Far West - Smith and Magruder doing some small demonstrations, but no real forces under them. Trying to get Hindman back to Little Rock. Bee is having a grand old time in KS and is heading for depots in IA.

[ATTACH]11515[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11516[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 5 west orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 5 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 battles:

Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 am

There were 17 minor battles, and 5 major battles.

[ATTACH]11519[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11517[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11518[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11521[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 5 battle of Vicksburg.JPG
Man USA turn 5 battle of Jackson.JPG
Man USA turn 5 battle of Fredricksburg.JPG
Man USA turn 5 battle of Culpepper.JPG
Man USA turn 5 battle of Adams MS.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 5 Results:

Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 am

The union was able to capture Vicksburg and Little Rock this turn.

[ATTACH]11522[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 5 results.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6 orders (Early June)

Sat May 22, 2010 1:11 am

Manstein:

No commentary from Manstein this turn. Hunter's Corps will evacuate SC. Foster evacuates NC. AOP attempts to surround Lee and attack with 3 corps. Mississippi Command moves south east towards Chattanooga. McCook will go to Meridian. AOT attacks the AOM.

Purchases - 60 RR
Replacements - 5 Inf, 1 Skir, 1 Cav, 1 Lt. Arty, 1 Art

[ATTACH]11548[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11549[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11550[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 6 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 6 west 1 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 6 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6 orders (continued)

Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 am

Redeemer:

Ouch! Pruchases, rail and river transport, a few replacements and 3 cav. East - AoP pushed back with losses, pulling back closer to Richmond. Trying a limited attack at Beaufort, otherwise standing in place. West - Run away! comes to mind. Vicksburg and Jackson both fall with the loss of the majority of the AoMiss, the rest will try to retreat to the interior. Far West - Little Rock falls without much resistance, trying to get those forces away so they just don't melt. Continueing raids where possible.

[ATTACH]11551[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11552[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 6 west orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 6 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 6 battles and results

Sat May 22, 2010 1:16 am

There were 6 minor and 1 major battles. There were 2 minor naval battles. Savannah bombarded Hunter's retreating force for 50 hits, and suffered 0 in return.

[ATTACH]11553[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11554[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 6 results.JPG
Man USa turn 6 battle of Yazoo, MS.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 orders (Late June)

Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 am

Manstein:

No comments from Manstein. AOP assualts the Lee and Richmond (trying to trap Lee and Jackson). AOT attack eastwards against the AOM, with McCook moving to Mobile. Mississsippi Command continues the reorganization.

Political Options - POW exchange, Total Blockade, Graduated Taxes, Call for Volunteers with $1,000 bounty
Purchases - 2 Regular, 9 Militia, 5 Cav, 2 Support
Replacements - 2 Elite, 10 Inf, 2 Skirm, 5 Cav, 2 Lt. Arty, 2 Art

[ATTACH]11576[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11577[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11578[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 7 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 7 west orders.JPG
Man USA turn 7 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 Orders Continued

Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 am

Redeemer:

Purchases - replacements and 20 militia. Richmond is cut off, just hoping the two corps there will die with some dignity. It is pretty much a race now to see how much he can gobble up. Minor troop movements otherwise all forces need time to recover.

[ATTACH]11579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11580[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 7 west orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 7 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 7 battles and results

Sun May 23, 2010 3:40 am

There were 12 minor and 2 major battles. There was 1 minor naval battle.

[ATTACH]11581[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11582[/ATTACH]

And now the results:

[ATTACH]11583[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 7 results.JPG
Man USA turn 7 battle of Richmond.JPG
Man USA turn 7 battle of Louisa VA.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 orders (Early July)

Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Manstein:

No commentary. AOP moves forward, with Meade to Henrico VA, Slocum to Lunenburg VA, Hooker to Tappenhock VA. AOT is now massive, with Pleasanton to Knoxville TN, Berry to Corinth MS, Mcpherson attacking the AOM, McCook assaulting Mobile AL, and Hamilton to Alabama.

Purchases - 8 Cav
Replacements 1 Elite, 6 Inf

[ATTACH]11609[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11610[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11611[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11612[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 8 west 3 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 8 west 2 orders.JPG
Man USA turn 8 west orders.JPG
Man USA turn 8 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 orders continued

Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Redeemer:

Purchases - rail and ships, plus a few replacements. Really not moving much, no supplies, armies dieing in place. It is a race to the end pretty much.

[ATTACH]11613[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11614[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Red CSA turn 8 west orders.JPG
Red CSA turn 8 east orders.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Turn 8 battles and results

Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 pm

There were 18 minor and 1 major battles.

[ATTACH]11616[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11615[/ATTACH]

Longstreet is KIA. The union captured both Mobile and Richmond. The CSA has no capital. And the results:

[ATTACH]11617[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Man USA turn 8 results.JPG
Man USA turn 8 battle of Richmond.JPG
Man USA turn 8 battle of Petersburg.JPG

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Victory and Defeat

Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Redeemer has had to pull out of the tournament due to time constraints.

In his words:
"Hey Guys, I hate to do this, but I am going to have to bow out. It is in the middle of Little League Baseball season and I have three boys. I just don't have any time until the season is over in August. Manstein, when you are done with the tournament, I would love a full campaign rematch sometime."

So Manstein passes on to the final to face the winner of the JDT/Johnnycai match.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

johnnycai
Major

Thu May 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Congratulations to Manstein.
Very impressive bulldozer campaign in Mississippi and Va.

Johnnycai

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Ouch. With Longstreet dead and no capital I think it maybe was time to bow out anyways. Congrats.
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

Return to “2nd AACW PBEM Tournament (2009)”