Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Problems?

Thu May 21, 2009 6:48 pm

If anybody has any problems - games not starting etc - or questions please post here. The silence is unsettling. :)
"We shall give them the bayonet." -Stonewall at Fredericksburg.

GustFire
Sergeant

Thu May 21, 2009 7:42 pm

GustFire - Tagwyn
Jabberwock - Jim-NC

It's been some effort, but I'm sure the games will be staring soon. :p ompom:

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 21, 2009 8:15 pm

i sent Jabberwock an e-mail. Not sure what Tagwyn's is. We should give them at least through the weekend. They may have gone on vacation or something not realizing the tournament was starting so soon.

If they don't show we have a couple alts waiting.

Jim-NC

Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 am

I have sent Tagwyn his 1st turn. I am awaiting his reply.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Mon May 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Tagwyn and Gustfire have had their 1st turn resolved. So they are on their way.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Any word from Jabberwock?

GustFire
Sergeant

Not Yet

Mon May 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Daxil wrote:Any word from Jabberwock?

Nope, no word yet; have sent him several messages.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 26, 2009 4:35 am

Huh, I don't know what happened to him. We can't delay anymore so your new opponent is MVDH mvdh @ austin.rr.com. Send him an e-mail and get him started.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 pm

I forget my opponent's name off the top of my head -- but I did send an email to him and Dixicrat (our host) on Friday, and I have heard nothing from either...

GustFire
Sergeant

Do-over?

Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Daxil wrote:Huh, I don't know what happened to him. We can't delay anymore so [Jim-NC's] new opponent is MVDH mvdh @ austin.rr.com. Send him an e-mail and get him started.

Okay, will do, but a question:

Jim-NC has already sent me his files for the 1st Turn for Jim-NC vs Jabberwock.

Do I delete those files, and all directories for those games, and start all over with Jim-NC vs MVDH?

That is, do I send Jim-NC [and MVDH] new files for him to get started on his 1st Turn?

OR do I just rename Jim's 1st Turn files that he already sent me?

The former sounds better, but I wanted to get your feedback, thanks.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 26, 2009 7:29 pm

GustFire wrote:Okay, will do, but a question:

Jim-NC has already sent me his files for the 1st Turn for Jim-NC vs Jabberwock.

Do I delete those files, and all directories for those games, and start all over with Jim-NC vs MVDH?

That is, do I send Jim-NC [and MVDH] new files for him to get started on his 1st Turn?

OR do I just rename Jim's 1st Turn files that he already sent me?

The former sounds better, but I wanted to get your feedback, thanks.

I would start from scratch. I think the weather is different at least everytime you start a game, and the host would find it difficult to rename everything. Plus your name's may not match. You may be able to pass your ord file over though if that' your concern. Just rename it what jim-pnc's new file is and paste it into that.

Dixicrat
General

Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm

CWNut77 wrote:I forget my opponent's name off the top of my head -- but I did send an email to him and Dixicrat (our host) on Friday, and I have heard nothing from either...

Back from my Memorial Day vacation! :)

I've sent TRN files for both games to CWNut77 and PascalB, along with a few comments. I intend to post AARs for both games in a single thread, at the conclusion of each.

Daxil, I sent kjstrand a PM last week, asking for the missing data for updating ratings, but have heard nothing from him. If I don't hear from him within the next few days, I'll post updated ratings without POW data for the particular games in question. Unless there were large numbers of POWs, or POWs were taken by one side but not the other, the ratings results will only vary by a few points.
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]
Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

WOW...I am going to get an...AAR???

Hoo boy -- I better think every turn through very carefully...this could be embarrassing, since I have never played this scenario (Shiloh) other than what they give you in the tutorial... :wacko:

I will be hosting Dixicrat's game with commandrsam (sp?) as well, but due to my lack of confidence in writing such a thing, I will not be doing an AAR. If I ever do make it to the championship, I may just try to tackle an endeavor ;)

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Upon further thought -- it would probably be most helpful for one of the games I play to be posted as an AAR. I am hopeful that my moves will receive multiple constructive criticisms, and that can only help my gameplay!

Perhaps I am being too harsh on myself, but in my opinion it is always better to err on the side of pessimism :)

Dixicrat
General

After action report

Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 pm

I hope that I'm not disappointing you, CWNut, but actually the AAR that I'm intending to write is going to be in the "minimalist" format that was used in many AARs in the first tournament: an occasional "battle report" screenshot, coupled with a turn by turn summary of the information on the "objectives" page of the ledger. Beyond that, I don't feel qualified to comment about your games.

However, I'll be glad to collaborate with you and PascalB after the games are over, so that we can post a presentation of what you gentlemen were thinking, coupled with an examination of how it all actually played out.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 pm

HAHA -- no disappointment at all, it's cool either way :)

I will say something that I have thought about with this tournament though -- since one person per side is hosting, that person has an advantage over his opponent. What I mean is, by watching another game's turn processes, the host has the advantage of seeing an alternate (and in some cases better) strategy than the one the host is implementing in his own game, for the exact same scenario! One could say this could be ignored, but it would be very hard to do so.

Of course, I consider myself an honorable man and will process the turns I am hosting as quick as possible to attend to my own game...but I thought the point was worth mentioning, none the less.

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 26, 2009 10:39 pm

CWNut77 wrote:HAHA -- no disappointment at all, it's cool either way :)

I will say something that I have thought about with this tournament though -- since one person per side is hosting, that person has an advantage over his opponent. What I mean is, by watching another game's turn processes, the host has the advantage of seeing an alternate (and in some cases better) strategy than the one the host is implementing in his own game, for the exact same scenario! One could say this could be ignored, but it would be very hard to do so.

Of course, I consider myself an honorable man and will process the turns I am hosting as quick as possible to attend to my own game...but I thought the point was worth mentioning, none the less.

If you need the help, sure. Some players are past that point. There is no guarantee that any one strategy will prevail. War is a chaotic thing. I guess that's what makes it so exciting -- certainly not the blood and gore.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Excellent point indeed!

Dixicrat
General

Withdrawal

Fri May 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Gentlemen,
I regret to say that I've come to realize that the demands of work, family, and my other responsibilities to the forums are simply too much for me to be able to participate in this tournament as a player.

I haven't had time to study the scenario, nor even make my first move. Rather than delaying my opponent, cmdrsam, any more, I'll withdraw. I regret having made a commitment that I can't keep, and I apologize to all who I've kept waiting.

I will, however, be able to continue hosting. I'll commit to being a host for this preliminary round, and at least for round 1, too.
[SIZE="3"]Regards,[/size]

Dixicrat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Basic Training for AACW newcomers

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri May 29, 2009 6:04 pm

Sorry to hear that DC -- I would be happy to host still, for whomever subs for Dixicrat vs cmdrsam.
As it does not appear that I will advance (though anything can happen in this game), I need to have some fulfillment LOL! ;)

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri May 29, 2009 6:05 pm

And, as a side-note -- I am thinking perhaps I should have studied the scenario more before playing it (this is my first time playing it, tutorial not counted)...but oh well, we live and learn!

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Next in line is Cobra6193 then Guz. They'll be the last two replacements before we automatically rewarding seedings for forfeitures.

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat May 30, 2009 4:22 am

Daxil wrote:Next in line is Cobra6193 then Guz. They'll be the last two replacements before we automatically rewarding seedings for forfeitures.

Daxil -- should I then send a new "Turn 1" set of files to Cobra6193 and cmdrsam from scratch?

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 30, 2009 6:39 am

Yes, I'm waiting on their reply first. We can only afford a few more days though as some people have finished and are waiting. No mo' delays! :)

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat May 30, 2009 2:58 pm

OK, sounds good -- PM me or email me once you have acceptance

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Problems with encryption and thus tournament

Sun May 31, 2009 3:24 pm

I am havin problems with encryption and my system preventing me and my host from accessing our tournament games.

Seems, for unknown reasons, something in my online computer mix is removing spaces from game names during email transmission (see Pocus/GL et all theorizing that it is my mail server which is hard to believe since I have to believe alot of folks use the same vanilla AOL as I).

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13386&highlight=trn+file

I solved this by renaming games to remove all spaces. At that time, encryption/compression options were not used. As soon as encryption was used and new games formed with spaces in their titles our inability to have our computers communicate re-emerged. And other non encrypted games started to exhibit strange behaviors (not reading orders, going back several turns, etc.) It is hard to isolate the behaviors.

When game compression is turned on as an option, AACW automatically encrypts and passwords my ord files with a password that is unknown to me, my host or my partner. The zip files cannot be opened by any of us. This, I think, is because the game names on the different computers are different and because the encryption is specifically coded to prevent intrusion.

My computer mix is:
AOL-------> ISP
Qwest-----> Broadband provider
Gateway Dual Core/2 Gig processor
Vista-------> operating system

By now my tinkering with files, trying to restore ord files from the recycle bin, has left my game folders confused and not worthy of trying to sort out. I have learned that ord files, each time one saves, overwrites the last one and send

SkyWestNM
Sergeant

Sun May 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Continued....sorry for the inadvertent end click........

As I was saying I have learned that old ord files are saved in the recycle bin as tmp files and can actually be renamed bringing them "back to life", so long as they are not encrypted. But by now I can't really use them as examples because all that tinkering has confused file chorolnology and order. To resimulate my issues I am gonna need a programmer/developer who has the time and inclination to tinker with me from scratch to solve this dilemma. I personally feel this is a Vista issue but I think others believe otherwise that AOL's mail server is responsible.

Meantime, in the tournament, to not slow things down, I have asked Redeemer, our host, if he is able to host in a non encrypted fashion with no space game names. If not, Daxil, I will need your help finding a host who could accomodate some of these unusual requests until the problems are detected and solved.

So here's my cry out in the wilderness for assistance in getting the problem solved and the tournament hosting temporarily meeting my unusual needs.

Thanks for your attention, forum, in advance.

Sky

Daxil
AGEod Grognard

Sun May 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Sounds like a strange error beyond my knowledge. I've had the name alteration before too and I think it was because we weren't zipping and it caused corruption. Yes, we fixed it simply by correcting the name, but we weren't using in-game compression.

Have you tried e-mailing customer support ? support@ageod.com?

If you can't fix it I suggest either getting together with your opponent and host and seeing if you can't pick a day and time period to try and grind out the bulk of a game. Or come to a gentlemanly decision on who won the match if one of you was way ahead. They'd automatically get a 7 or 8 berth.

If that's too distasteful for you, we're right up against the wall here so if you have to start over you'd have to do it ASAP. I have two other games waiting for alts so as you're not alone and it's not too late to do that, but I'd ask you try the former two options first. Also make sure everyone disables in-game compression and that you're instead using winzip to compress the games.

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Drop outs

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 am

Hey Daxil,

Banks has dropped out of the tourney. I need a filler for Redeemer to play.

DW
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:54 am

Dax: i Thought you knew. Sorry. I dropped out of the tourney. I could not figure out the Ord. and trn. files etc. L3 i.e. tragwyn.

Return to “2nd AACW PBEM Tournament (2009)”