Straight Arrow
General

Run Rabbit, Run

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:54 pm

How does one save the Saxons in fall, 1756?

If you stand and fight, the Saxons just die and give the Prussians a nice chunk of NM in the process.

If you hole up in the camp, the Prussians bag the lot for little or no cost.

Currently, I'm trying a "Great Escape" where the Saxon attempted a field battle on run away orders, blue-green. On the second turn, after being unlocked, they fled to the mountains to the west. I than split the force into individual units and ran like a rabbit; it seems to have worked.

Are there any other ways of extracting the Saxons from certain doom?
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

PhilThib

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 am

Looks like a fun way, not much in the spirit of the time, but efficient...and no other known way than hoping the Austrians can join up fast...which is close to impossible

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Straight Arrow wrote:How does one save the Saxons in fall, 1756?

If you stand and fight, the Saxons just die and give the Prussians a nice chunk of NM in the process.

If you hole up in the camp, the Prussians bag the lot for little or no cost.

Currently, I'm trying a "Great Escape" where the Saxon attempted a field battle on run away orders, blue-green. On the second turn, after being unlocked, they fled to the mountains to the west. I than split the force into individual units and ran like a rabbit; it seems to have worked.

Are there any other ways of extracting the Saxons from certain doom?

In my last PBEM AAR with Narwhal the Saxons escaped. He went for a fast lunge on Prag in the hope of catching me out and failed to take the city. Although I lost a lot of Saxon regiments in the escape (mostly due to attrition in the mountains) it then completely unbalanced the game. I had more commanders with the HRE trait - which went a long way to improving the performance of the Bavarians et al - and had rough artillery parity. The latter really mattered as normally in a big battle the Austrians will suffer a lot of disruption etc in the ranged combat phases but we traded losses so the close combat was more bloody (hitting the Prussian problem of a lack of manpower).

In effect, I'd suggest if you do get the Saxons out its game over.

But if the Prussian player deals with Pirna efficiently they can't escape, I think even with your preferred stance it is possible to slip cavalry etc into the surrounding provinces and then you are trapped into a ping-pong?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Rise of Prussia”