Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Saxon Surrender

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm

I played the opening of the 7-year war campaign as Austria against the AI, and Saxony surrendered on turn 3, but the condition mentioned in the event, Prussian control over the three road regions around Pirna, never happened.

The messages were:
- Prussia sieges Pirna but accomplishes nothing
- Saxony surrender

The Austrian army was standing next to Pirna, and that road hex was never occupied by Prussia.
Prussia had sieged Pirna for two turns, without success.

So what are the real conditions for a Saxon surrender, and what can Austria do about it, if it really wants to?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:09 am

If I read the event file properly (and am less sure about the RoP syntax than for the newer games). I think there are two event chains, one if the AI is in charge and the other for PBEM.

But *I think* there is a bug. To me it looks like the AI chain should have 2 tests. I think the first step is the Prussians should have more than 75 'sub-units' (elements I presume) in Saxony. But the code has an error.

What is there is:

SelectSubUnits = Region $Pirna;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
EvalSubUnitCount = <;75
RegInit = 1
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Bohemia;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
RegInit = 2
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Saxony;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
RegInit = 3
RegSum = Registry 1 2
RegEvalNum = 3;>=;75
RegDeactivate = NULL

So my interpretation is that if the Prussians don't have 75 elements, the AI chain stops. But that code has an error as each line refers to Saxony.

I *think* it should read:

SelectSubUnits = Region $Pirna;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
EvalSubUnitCount = <;75
RegInit = 1
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Bohemia;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags [color="#FF0000"]AUS[/color]
RegInit = 2
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Saxony;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags [color="#FF0000"]PRU[/color]
RegInit = 3
RegSum = Registry 1 2
RegEvalNum = 3;>=;75
RegDeactivate = NULL

That would give the desired calculation. Now in almost any game of RoP the Prussian AI is going to meet that in any case, unless the Austrians win a battle very early (this fires for September with a 75% probablity).

Once that has been passed, the chain is:

The Saxons are told to escape (if they can) which is unlikely given a normal siege;
Consider a sortie - more likely, especially if there is a decent Austrian army nearby - so this is feasible to play for on the grounds it will at least kill some Prussians

The next stage is an evaluation of owned regions:

EvalRgnOwned = $Dresden

SelectFaction = $PRU
SelectRegion = $Dresden

SelectRegion = $Dresden
EvalControl = >=;60

SelectRegion = $Dippoldiswalde
EvalControl = >=;60

SelectRegion = $Radeberg
EvalControl = >=;60

SelectRegion = $Pirna
EvalControl = >=;60
EvalAreaPowerRatio = LAND;$Theater_Saxony;100;>=;50;25

That one seems ok, in effect Prussia needs 60% NM of the named Provinces and to outnumber the allies

The final test is a simple siege assessment (ie is Pirna under siege)

Now I *think* the problem is that the first test in some ways does not make sense (as written) and the result is the chain skips some stages and comes back to the simple siege test.

Unlike some other files, there is no MP version, so its the same in both (instead each event has an AI test, ie do this if the AI is in control). My suspicion is the first event (force evaluation) isn't working and for some reason that means the next test applied is the existence of a siege?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Duke76
Corporal

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:03 pm

It would be interesting to know if this issue have been fixed with the recent patch...

PS.

My first post here. :gardavou:

Ebbingford

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Duke76 wrote:PS.

Welcome aboard :hat:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Duke76 wrote:It would be interesting to know if this issue have been fixed with the recent patch...

PS.

welcome indeed.

If I'm right, and as confessed, I'm less sure at the RoP syntax than that used in PoN, the key lines all still refer to SAX. This is how it appears (in ROP/Events/RoP Saxony Capitulation)

SelectFaction = $AUS
SelectRegion = $Pirna

SelectFaction = $AUS
SelectRegion = $Pirna
StartEvent = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Escape|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Pirna|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1756/09/01
MaxDate = 1756/12/30
EvalEvent = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony;=;0
EvalSubUnitCount = <;75
RegInit = 1
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Bohemia;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
RegInit = 2
SelectSubUnits = Area $Theater_Saxony;Families $famElite $famLine $famLightInf $famSkirmisher $famMilitia $famCavalry $famHvyCavalry $famLightArty $famMedArty $famHvyArty;FactionTags SAX
RegInit = 3
RegSum = Registry 1 2
RegEvalNum = 3;>=;75
RegDeactivate = NULL

Actions
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Trigger;MaxOccurs;0
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_AI;MaxOccurs;0
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Cleanup;MaxOccurs;0
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Escape_AI_Sortie;MaxOccurs;0
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Escape_AIInterest_reset;MaxOccurs;1

SelectFaction = $PRU
GenTextMsg = evt_nam_CMN_CapitulationSaxony_Escape;1;NULL;NULL;NULL

SelectFaction = $AUS
ChangeFacMorale = 5
AI.SetAggro = $Theater_Prussia;100
AI.SetLocalInterest = $Dippoldiswalde;100

SelectFaction = $PRU
AI.SetAggro = $Theater_Saxony;200
AI.SetLocalInterest = $Pirna;100

EndEvent

whatever is meant to be the script, that makes no sense. I'll pop this report into the bug forum
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:21 am

Have you had the game long, Duke?

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 am

I just put the change in recommended by Loki and it worked. Saxons surrendered one turn after all three roads were cut. :)

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Jagger2013 wrote:I just put the change in recommended by Loki and it worked. Saxons surrendered one turn after all three roads were cut. :)

Well, in the old situation the Saxons surrendered even when the roads were not cut, so this is no prove that the fix worked.

But when I have time I will check the change when the Prussians don't occupy the roads.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”