Jagger2013
General of the Army

What to do with all the extra regiments

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:54 pm

I started my first ROP games last night playing Invasion of Saxony vs the AI. In first attempt, the AI Austrians managed to smash Fredericks poorly organized army. In the second attempt, I managed to isolate a large column on the wrong side of the mountains when winter arrived. So anyway...

What do you do with all the excess single Prussian battalions? I didn't have enough leaders to brigade probably around 12 infantry battalions. I ended up massing them into a single column under a corps commander but not sure how a pure infantry column without a brigade structure would stand up against a brigaded force in combat. Probably not well. So what do you do with all the excess Prussian battalions in the Invasion of Saxony scenario? Just keep them as reserves or add a few to existing corps or form their own column without brigades?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:06 pm

in the main, with the Prussians and Austrians (it is only an issue for these two sides) I dump the excess in the CinC's stack. As that is the last to be committed in any battle its a way of keeping them to hand (as a reserve and replacement for damaged units) but equally they are less likely to be in combat (where the command malus becomes a problem).

its a long time since I played the Saxony scenario but one thing to check is you haven't put units that have no CP cost (artillery, light cav, light inf) into brigades. That may free up a few slots for you and then keep those type of units in the corps stack but outside the brigades
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks Loki. It also looks like individual regiments can be used as garrisons for VP locations.

-----Important Note: In order to gain credit for a captured Objective or Strategic city, a player must garrison the
location with a regular unit (i.e. no Irregulars, Militias) if the region has a Loyalty Rating less than 51%.-----

Durk

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:56 am

Jagger2013 - Garrisons are indeed a key to victory points. I always check the ledger notes to see if I have any cities without garrisons. Quick way to tell.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:33 pm

I have just started the Maria Theresa scenario in 1741. The French and Bavarians have just invaded and they clearly lack enough commanders in general but even lack an army commander. They have hordes of troops all stacked in columns suffering the 35% command penalty. I have decided to strip off all excess units which provide the 35% penalty and keep them in reserve rather than the frontline. Until I can promote additional leaders to create an army structure and additional 2 star generals, I would rather fight with smaller forces at 100 percent efficiency than larger forces that simply take excess losses. Plus I will always have fresh reserve troops available to replace any frontline troops that suffer heavy losses. I am not sure if it is the right move in terms of victory points but maybe so.

PS: The Maria Theresa scenario is an excellent starter scenario. As the Prussians, you start with a single army with little opposition and slowly build up as reinforcements are provided and opposition grows. Starts off very easy and gradually becomes more challenging. It is perfect as a learning scenario, IMO.

Searry
Colonel

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:34 am

It's also a very good scenario against a human player played on either side.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”