bkosar19
Sergeant

Retreat Mechanics?

Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

I have a question as to how the AI calculates which areas to retreat defeated forces.

I was playing the 2nd Silesian War scenario as Austria. My main force met a forward Prussian detachment at Tabor and crushed it. Surprisingly, the defeated Prussians retreated south into Budweis, which was an area that was 100% under Austrian military control, rather than retreating north into Beneschau or Wlaschim that were, at the very least, disputed as to military control and probably under Prussian control due to this Prussian force marching through one of them to reach Tabor. Now why would the AI retreat into an area that was 100% enemy controlled rather than fallback into its own controlled or disputed controlled areas?

Having an enemy force south in Budweis caused an issue because the main Prussian force was marching south from Prague and here I was trapped between two enemy forces. I know the rules changed to allow the retreats into enemy controlled regions, but one would think the retreat logic would chose a region of friendly and/or disputed control before one that was completely enemy controlled.

Die Zieten
Sergeant

Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Also stacks that MTSG should IMO retreat back to the to the same region they left?

In a current game Prince Henri had an Army stack cross the river from Torgau, there was a small Corps in Torgau. This was just a stalling action to kill Austrians. The battle went well regarding casuaties but Henri retreated North of Torgau! I admit this is possible result in real life but i did not think possible in game. I would have not fought and take that risk. Henri is now in the wrong side of the river and possibly game over.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Military control doesn't seem to matter (enemy units matter though). Here is the extract from the game logics-file (though I guess there's also some random factor involved):

ctlRetreatAdjCity = 5 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a city (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjFort = 30 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a fort (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjDepot = 25 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a depot (per level)
ctlRetreatLandLink = 10 // Interest in retreating toward a region, value per land link [to prevent forces getting trapped in a region without exit/escape)
ctlRetreatPrevSubSpaceCoeffH = 250 // Coefficient applied to the interest if the region is the one where we are coming from
cltRetPenaltyPerNmySU = 4 // retreat penalty (in interest pts) for each [e]n[e]my S[ub]U[unit] in retreating region

So:

Budweis: city + 6 landlinks
Beneschau: no city + 2 landlinks
Wlaschim: no city + 5 landlinks (doesn't even have a road - but it doesn't count?)

Therefore, Budweis seems to have been the most likely option. And let's not forget about the beer!
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Return to “Rise of Prussia”