Teodor
Conscript

Recruitment strategies

Tue May 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello everybody!

Recently finished my first full campaign as Prussia and I must say that this game, like all AGEOD-games I have played, is terrific! I managed to achieve victory in 1760 by accidentally using an AI exploit. For some reason, Austria decided to put its entire army inside Olmutz during winter. In early spring I ordered my smaller Silesian-army to besiege Olmutz, hoping to at least delay the Austrians so my main army could move from Prague towards Brunn. Much to my surprise, the Austrians didn’t try to break the siege but instead surrendered after a few turns. With no Austrian army and the road to Vienna open it didn’t take me long to capture all objectives and achieve victory. Next time I will play with the house rule of not besieging enemy armies that, for no good reason, is inside a structure.

Now to my question,

As I see it, there are two possible strategies regarding recruitment, both with pros and cons:
1) Focus on replacements and use the remaining resources on recruiting new troops.
2) Focus on recruiting new troops and use the remaining resources on replacements

I play with strategy 1 as I like to keep my armies healthy. Due to the long distances from where you construct troops to your frontline, it takes a while for your newly recruited troops to reinforce your armies. This is not true for replacements as they are “teleported” to the frontline. However, focusing on replacements also mean that you will have a lot of troops “off the board” where they are useless. Which strategy do you veterans and PBEM-players prefer and why?

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Tue May 17, 2011 3:37 pm

In PBEM screw new units (bar possibly freibatalione for prussians and millitia for austrians) and train as many depot units as you can focusing on the elite ones.

Playing against the AI you can be a bit more relaxed but you should still produce as many elite depot units as you can.

Teodor
Conscript

Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Thank you Anazagar for the quick reply! Replacements are the way to go!

Durk

Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 am

Teodor,
It is not as simple as that. You need Engagement points to get replacements. New units do not, typically, require these points. So, you may wish to raise new units with your money, drafts and weapons points.
All on replacements is not a good balance of your resources.
That said, replacements are the best money spent.

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 am

Durk wrote:Teodor,
It is not as simple as that. You need Engagement points to get replacements. New units do not, typically, require these points. So, you may wish to raise new units with your money, drafts and weapons points.
All on replacements is not a good balance of your resources.
That said, replacements are the best money spent.

Not rly. You can also get normal and elite inf. replacements byt training depot units (3 chits per unit trained).

Durk

Sun May 22, 2011 5:22 am

Hmm. Interesting use of depot units.
Thank you Anazagar for explaining something I have not yet tried.

sbr
Corporal

Tue May 24, 2011 1:51 am

What exactly are depot units?

Also is there a Wiki for RoP?

Durk

Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

This is the official RoP Wiki
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page

Depot units are in your units to be recruited when you click the recruit button.
Then look for these units with most countries units near the militia.

sbr
Corporal

Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 am

Durk wrote:This is the official RoP Wiki
http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page

Depot units are in your units to be recruited when you click the recruit button.
Then look for these units with most countries units near the militia.

Thank you for the answer and the link. I should have been more specific though. :)

What is special about Depot units and why should they be the only units I train? Do I have to do anything with them to get the full advantage from them?

Durk

Tue May 24, 2011 3:38 am

Oh, the depot units provide replacements for your other units without having to spend EP. I do train other units, but the others on this thread suggest not bothering with anything except replacements.
You do not have to do anything. They just appear in the replacement tab until used.

Anazagar
Lieutenant

Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Durk wrote:Oh, the depot units provide replacements for your other units without having to spend EP. I do train other units, but the others on this thread suggest not bothering with anything except replacements.
You do not have to do anything. They just appear in the replacement tab until used.

Let me re-state in single player game you can get by with producing new units and be able to manage your replacement situation. In PBEM it will be nigh-on-impossible to rely only on the ep options when it comes to elite replacements for Austria (they usually swim in regular replacements) and both kinds for Prussia which means you need to make as many as you can via depot units and it will tie up large ammounts of your resources.

The reason for this is that inf elements with even 1 star of exp that are stationary for a turn have a chance of upgrading (militia to normal to trained to elite IIRC) which means that by 58-59 most of your inf will be elite which means they need elite replacements to regain strenght. Due to general scarcity of those it leads to badly depleated armies of elite units.

Return to “Rise of Prussia”