Narwhal

Questions about Saxony surrender, Stralsund and interface

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:29 am

Hi there, people.

Great game, thank you ! :coeurs: Fun and represent rather well the era warfare, except for the habit of fortresses to fall in a few weeks only - but I read it was getting corrected :) . On my very first game, playing the BiA/WiA way, I managed to besiege Vienna (two consecutive turns) by 1757, having taken all the cities on the way. I failed at taking it and Frederick's army was ultimely wiped out (supply was cut), but with a couple lucky rolls he would have bathed in the Emperess palace.

I have a few questions / complaints (I like to call them "Pistes d'amélioration" but my English is too poor for that)

- On the Saxony surrender event.

The event is not so clear, so I have several questions :
- The event description says it will take 1 to 3 turns, but I never saw less than 3 turns in my games. Is it random or are there condition ?
- Is a simple cavalry unit "enough" to block a road and ultimaly force a surrender (if no, that's too bad). Does size matter ?
- Is keeping troops INSIDE the city of Dresden enough to block the road and force a surrender (actually, I don't see how the Saxons could be reinforced by Dresden, since all the country is controlled by Prussia)
- If a tile is shared (Austrian arrived South of Saxony and share the tile with Fred himself for instance, is Pirna Camp still considered "sieged". If yes, that's bad IMO because the Prussian player should be have to actively enforce the siege)
- Finally, several times, I saw Saxony army trying to break the siege on the last turn and trying to go North or East (never South, but most of the time it is the region I protect the most), fighting, WINNING the battle but still surrendering at the end of the turn. Is that normal ?

Generally speaking, this might need more information.

- On Stralsund

I read that the city is protected by code, so the Prussian player cannot wipe the Swedes from the war too early. I can understand this, but this is unfair to players not informed of this, as Blitzkrieging Stralsund to keep the Swedes out of the war looks like a sensible things to do on paper, all the more since Prussia has about 3 to 6 months before the attack from France/Netherlands ramps up (esp. if he refuses to evacuate - which I believe is the best strategy). I believe the first turn the Prussian player besieges Stralsund, an "Event in Red" should pop up telling the player that Stralsund is really a tough nut to crack due to the supply by Sea and the determination of the defenders and add that in game term Stralsund has a bonus in defense) (no other effect for the event). This would keep the player from sieging for nothing and believing he had bad luck.

Also, the unlikely taking of Stralsund should have create an event (recognizing the achievement) and have diplomatic consequences (I believe Sweden would commit more ressources to the war, so loss in NM but increase in EP and money for Austria). I admit I actually NEVER took Stralsund but only read it has no effect :mdr:

- In term of interface, several suggestions
(for your next games) :

It should be possible to "open" two windows with the full description of a brigade / general / whatsoever to ease comparisons. Right now, if I want to compare two brigades, I have to open the window for one unit, remember the numbers, close it, open the window of the second unit.
When hovering over a brigade, it should say whether this unit can recover lost hits and/or receive new elements (and if not, why not like "no available elements for this unit").
Several times, I want to add a general and his troops to an army, and I cant. The info-bubble is not specific ("It might be because..."). I believe it should ("You cannot because this group lacks 2/3 stars general without brigades attached") because sometimes I have the impression that all conditions are met (took me time to understand that a general with attached brigades cannot lead an army).
When I succeed an ambush, there should be a big, fat, "AMBUSH" on the top of the battle screen, I never know whether I succeeded or failed otherwise (I can't be bothered to read all the very small stuff down there I am sorry. I am not a pure Grognard - I was attracted to your games by Paradox)
I would be very grateful if I could promote leaders without detaching them. I know what "engine limitation" means, but really it is tiresome to look for the good leader, extract him from the group, and hope he is not attacked next round).

Well, that's all. :neener: For now.

kosmoface
Corporal

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Narwhal wrote:
- In term of interface, several suggestions
(for your next games) :

It should be possible to "open" two windows with the full description of a brigade / general / whatsoever to ease comparisons. Right now, if I want to compare two brigades, I have to open the window for one unit, remember the numbers, close it, open the window of the second unit.
When hovering over a brigade, it should say whether this unit can recover lost hits and/or receive new elements (and if not, why not like "no available elements for this unit").
Several times, I want to add a general and his troops to an army, and I cant. The info-bubble is not specific ("It might be because..."). I believe it should ("You cannot because this group lacks 2/3 stars general without brigades attached") because sometimes I have the impression that all conditions are met (took me time to understand that a general with attached brigades cannot lead an army).
When I succeed an ambush, there should be a big, fat, "AMBUSH" on the top of the battle screen, I never know whether I succeeded or failed otherwise (I can't be bothered to read all the very small stuff down there I am sorry. I am not a pure Grognard - I was attracted to your games by Paradox)
I would be very grateful if I could promote leaders without detaching them. I know what "engine limitation" means, but really it is tiresome to look for the good leader, extract him from the group, and hope he is not attacked next round).

Well, that's all. :neener: For now.

Very good suggestions. Especially comparing units is a bit tiresome because there are so many numbers to look after.

Regarding Stralsund:
If I don't mix things up, the coalition was formed AFTER Frederick attacked Saxony, in other words: it doesn't make a lot of sense to Blitzkrieg BEFORE the coalition has formed. It's historically correct and I like it like that.

And I like how sieges work. You never know how and when you will capture a town and this is, at least for me, very exciting, because I never know if I have to wait one more turn or not. The more I can calculate how and when a siege is successful, the less I have to think about it and that is boring.

Narwhal

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm

kosmoface wrote:Regarding Stralsund:
If I don't mix things up, the coalition was formed AFTER Frederick attacked Saxony, in other words: it doesn't make a lot of sense to Blitzkrieg BEFORE the coalition has formed. It's historically correct and I like it like that.

This is true, but I was talking 3 to 6 months between the moment Sweden joins the coalition and the moment French pressure starts to be really bad. And even then, by cutting the supply chain, attacking the smallest stack with an army from Hannover and in general leading some sort of "petty war" you can really slow them down enough for besieging Stralsund.

Right now, I am playing in Alt-Tab, I am early August 1757 and I have taken Kiel, Hambourg, Lubeck and Rostock - the enemy has not even taken Wesel as of yet, Dortmund is still sieged and only Lippstadt should fall soon. The other cities are fine. It will probably take them 6 to 8 more turns to threaten Minden and Hannover, and by then one of the two armies in the North will be back to reinforce. (I had 3 stacks under Keith grand control - one half of the total Hannover forces led by Cumberland, an average sized Prussian army led by Keith and the Braunschweig army reinforced by a sizeable Prussian force - after the fall of Hamburg Cumberland came back to be kept in reserve in Minden, in case Zastrow column in Munster meets difficulties).

Narwhal

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 pm

I bump this thread because I am wondering whether the "surrender of Saxony" event work. In Late October 1756, I lost control of Dippodiswalde (I had a retreating unit there, and 2 huge enemy stacks) but still Saxony surrendered at the end of the turn.

PhilThib

Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Yes it does, because most likely the change of control was effected after the event calculation during the hosting phase....you may consider that the Saxon, desperate of not seeing help on the way, decided to surrender ;)

Narwhal

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm

PhilThib wrote:Yes it does, because most likely the change of control was effected after the event calculation during the hosting phase....you may consider that the Saxon, desperate of not seeing help on the way, decided to surrender ;)

It is what I would have thought if it was not the Saxon army that had broken my army :)

Return to “Rise of Prussia”