Rise of Prussia on GamersGate

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:05 am

Well, for the ones that haven't seen it yet... here it is:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ROP/rise-of-prussia

:coeurs: :coeurs:
:thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Cool, good price as well, it doesn't say if it will be a boxed version or a digital download version or both does anybody know? :)

Rafiki

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Gamersgate = digital download
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Bertram

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:14 pm

DRM = other?

Longhairedlout
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:19 pm

good stuff, I was planning on purchasing by digital download :)

Rafiki

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Bertram wrote:DRM = other?

Though I cannot vouch 100% for this, I am quite sure that DRM will be no different than what you are used to, i.e. supplying a serial key upon installation.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Ironclad61
Major

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Well, price is like the phisical edition here but i prefer wait and try to buy this, if no phisical edition here i buy digital.

Nial
Colonel

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Will it be sold by AGEOD in Disc form?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tc237
Colonel

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:12 am

This was one question I thought of after the Paradox deal was announced:

Will there still be Direct Downloads through AGEOD?
(they were a simple and easy way to purchase AGEOD games)

Or do we have to go exclusively to GamersGate? (have never do that yet)

boboneilltexas
Corporal

At last!

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 am

great. Too close to Napoleon! but still good to get.
For one grandsire stood with Henry,
On Hanover's Sacred sod,
And the other followed "Harry"
In the Light Horse' foremost squad.
And my grandsires stood together
When the foe at Yorktown fell;
"Stock" like this, against oppression
Could do naught else but REBEL.

Jeff Thompson - Brig Gen. Missouri

Generalisimo

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:31 am

tc237 wrote:This was one question I thought of after the Paradox deal was announced:

Will there still be Direct Downloads through AGEOD?
(they were a simple and easy way to purchase AGEOD games)

Or do we have to go exclusively to GamersGate? (have never do that yet)

Well, if you check the AGEOD main page:
http://www.ageod.com/en/
At least on my end, it shows a banner of Rise of Prussia and it says:
[SIZE="4"]>> On Sale March 09 <<[/size]

So, I guess it will be sold in there too... :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 am

Generalisimo wrote:
[SIZE="4"]>> On Sale March 09 <<[/size]

GODZILLA! :wacko:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

dooya

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 pm

The game description on gamersgate should include that there are 3 language versions (English, French, German) coming with the game.
No quote - No bullshit!

tc237
Colonel

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:53 am

So, I guess it will be sold in there too...

You "guess" does not help.

It is a serious question, I would appreciate a serious answer from anyone at AGEOD that would know for certain how the game will be made available.

Thanks
-TC

PhilThib

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:13 am

The launch is confirmed on March 9 on both AGEOD and GamersGate ;)

Respenus

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:35 am

I must say, this is the most wonderful news. I was wondering which game I'll be playing on my birthday and apparently France is going to ensure that the German Empire is newer, ever born.

A very special thank you to everyone at AgeOD! :thumbsup:

vonRocko
Colonel

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Will a box version with cd be available anywhere?
thanks

Pocus

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

dooya wrote:The game description on gamersgate should include that there are 3 language versions (English, French, German) coming with the game.

I'll tell them to update the page, thanks Dooya.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

boudi

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 pm

vonRocko wrote:Will a box version with cd be available anywhere?
thanks

1) Download the setup.exe,
2) Burn it with your serial number in a txt file (with notepad, by exemple) on a CD/DVD.

You have your box version. :D

Lannes
Major

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm

lol

Jarkko
Colonel

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:25 pm

75% off of BoA2 if you pre-order RoP :thumbsup: Finally time to get BoA2 too then :)
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Nial
Colonel

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:38 pm

vonRocko wrote:Will a box version with cd be available anywhere?
thanks

So, since no serious answer seems to be forthcoming. I'll assume the unfortunate answer is No. *sigh*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:44 pm

In fact the response is: I have no idea yet.... the sole case when a box is made nowadays is when a (local) publisher decides to manufacture a boxed version for the retail market...

... but the retail market is slowly dying all over the world for PC strategy titles, so less and less opportunities to produce boxed versions will occur :(

Some people like Matrix Games do produce boxed version rather regularly, so it might be where we "could" find a box...if and when Matrix makes an agreement with Paradox on that title :cool:

....OR.... if Paradox decides to produce a box :thumbsup:

So wait and see ;)

Ironclad61
Major

Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Lol, i have all previous games (except original BOA) and the 75% is MIA... well i can wait because i expect a box version here that is a good retail version but if no version here download it isnt a true problem, no more manual to read in the "Royal trone" :thumbsup:

Nial
Colonel

Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 pm

PhilThib wrote:In fact the response is: I have no idea yet.... the sole case when a box is made nowadays is when a (local) publisher decides to manufacture a boxed version for the retail market...

... but the retail market is slowly dying all over the world for PC strategy titles, so less and less opportunities to produce boxed versions will occur :(

Some people like Matrix Games do produce boxed version rather regularly, so it might be where we "could" find a box...if and when Matrix makes an agreement with Paradox on that title :cool:

....OR.... if Paradox decides to produce a box :thumbsup:

So wait and see ;)

Thanks for the answer. :)

In reality, I had no idea that boxed games with CD/DVDs in them were so rare. I almost always order the physical copy of the games I buy, including AGEOD's. I have all but one of AGEOD's games in disc form. Though I can surely see how producing them could be getting harder and harder for a small company like AGEOD. So I guess I will also be hoping Paradox comes through.

Nial
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 pm

PhilThib wrote:

Like the retail market, I guess I'm a dying breed. You know, the kind that wants something physical and tangible for my money. I'm old fashioned like that.
Maybe I'll miss a good game but, for me, it's no box=no sale. There are other games. I also have every other Ageod game with a box,why not this one?
Thanks

mjw
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 am

Yeah...love the game box. I'm old fashoined but something about a big AGEOD glossy manual. Still scroll through the old AACW manual from time to time.

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:56 am

I used to think boxed versions are the only real games. Then I was made aware of some economical facts.

1) Producing boxed games costs money. Burning the DVD's, printing the manual, packing and wrapping, all that costs money. The boxes also have to be stored somewhere, and storing stuff costs money (alternatively you can print on demand, but then the price per box goes up because of the shorter print-runs).

2) Wholesalers needs their share of the game-box price. They too need to handle and store the boxes, and all that costs.

3a) The shop-keepers also need a living, so they want a share too. Just by making the box available does not guarantee any sales, you actually have to pay to the shopkeepers to put the box up on their shelves in a visible place.

3b) If sold directly from the wholesaler via mail, there are the postal fees. And you have to keep the prices down and not charge the buyer the postal fees, because sites like Amazon will else eat you out from the market.

All that means the game-producer will not see much of the money from a boxed game, even if the price-tag would say $50 (think Matrix or Shrapnel games for example). Meanwhile in digital distribution the price of the game can be kept to reasonable levels ($19 or $29), and the producer actually gets the money. For niche-markets, like strategy games for example, that can be a major thing between survival (which means new games, patches etc) or going under.

Nowadays I buy strategy games only as digital downloads (when available; for example some Shrapnel games titles (like Dominions 3) are not available as digital downlads) from the producers own e-shop (if there just is one). I burn the file on a DVD, print the manual (I still need something to leaf through, makes me feel like I own something *proper* :D ) and am happy that I did my little thing to make the game-developers actually get some well-deserved money for their hard work :)
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Generalisimo

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Jarkko wrote:I used to think boxed versions are the only real games. Then I was made aware of some economical facts.

1) Producing boxed games costs money. Burning the DVD's, printing the manual, packing and wrapping, all that costs money. The boxes also have to be stored somewhere, and storing stuff costs money (alternatively you can print on demand, but then the price per box goes up because of the shorter print-runs).

2) Wholesalers needs their share of the game-box price. They too need to handle and store the boxes, and all that costs.

3a) The shop-keepers also need a living, so they want a share too. Just by making the box available does not guarantee any sales, you actually have to pay to the shopkeepers to put the box up on their shelves in a visible place.

3b) If sold directly from the wholesaler via mail, there are the postal fees. And you have to keep the prices down and not charge the buyer the postal fees, because sites like Amazon will else eat you out from the market.

All that means the game-producer will not see much of the money from a boxed game, even if the price-tag would say $50 (think Matrix or Shrapnel games for example). Meanwhile in digital distribution the price of the game can be kept to reasonable levels ($19 or $29), and the producer actually gets the money. For niche-markets, like strategy games for example, that can be a major thing between survival (which means new games, patches etc) or going under.

Nowadays I buy strategy games only as digital downloads (when available; for example some Shrapnel games titles (like Dominions 3) are not available as digital downlads) from the producers own e-shop (if there just is one). I burn the file on a DVD, print the manual (I still need something to leaf through, makes me feel like I own something *proper* :D ) and am happy that I did my little thing to make the game-developers actually get some well-deserved money for their hard work :)

I can only say this: +1 :thumbsup:

Great summary! :coeurs:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Nial
Colonel

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Thats all fine and good. But with a disc, I can have a comp crash, which just happened recently, and still install an old game that I want to play, no matter how long it's been since I bought it. Right now as I write this, I can't play the latest version of EU3 because I bought it from gamersgate under a different user name than the one I bought the original under. So it just sits there on my HD useless. How F***ed is that? I still regularly install and uninstall old favorite games that I bought 5+ years ago. Will GG or Ageod let me re download a game in 5 years for no cost? Will they even be around 5 years from now? No, I'll stick with my physical disc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Rise of Prussia”