Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Cannot recruit troops or build ships as Pre-Meiji Japan (1860)

Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm

If the Japanese player chooses the historical path to the Meiji Restauration, each major event chain increases the Rebel loyalty throughout all mainland provinces. After Ii Naosuke is assassinated in 1860, this Rebel loyalty reaches 100% everywhere. This means that the player can no longer recruit any troop nor build any ship for several years afterwards.

Basically, I'm stuck with what I have until the Meiji restauration happens.

Is there a way to manage this by decreasing Rebel loyalty in Japanese provinces? I tried garrisons, MP units, cavalry, decreasing militancy... but none of these bring that Rebel loyalty down.

Thanks!

Durk

Re: Cannot recruit troops or build ships as Pre-Meiji Japan (1860)

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am

This is a challenge. Japan is the most challenging of all the major factions to play for a number of reasons, but there are a few things you can do to enhance loyalty.
1. The most difficult is to win a war with a large enough war score to annex a region. There are several avenues to pursue to achieve this; however, most involve a war with China which may not be so much fun until your reach the reforms. But victories in battle really win a population over.
2. A simple thing to do is to station a regular infantry unit in each of Japan's home regions. A regular infantry unit will tend to raise loyalty each turn it is stationed in the same area. Militia and cavalry do not help. While MP units should assist your infantry units, they will not do it on their own, and yes, use all the governmental options you have to reduce militancy.
You indicate garrisons do not work for you, but regular infantry should do it.
3. If nothing else works, station a major army in each of your Japanese home islands objective cities and wait for the revolt. Then crush it.

My thoughts. Not sure your solution.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:19 am

Thanks for the suggestion and the help!

However, that does not seem to work as I have my big "musket cap" army in Edo, but the Rebel loyalty does not decrease. So I am at loss of what I can do here. :blink:

Durk

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:20 am

Hopefully, someone with more experience playing Japan can add their thoughts. I am currently playing as Spain and with the Carlist revolt I find that even some of my armies change to the rebel faction. So I am at a similar loss as with troops stationed there changing sides and loyalty complete outside the standard rules.
Two small thoughts:
1. Is at least one of your infantry divisions inside the city? That might just help.
2. If you have Decision cards, like sewer or telephone, build some infrastructure as that always makes the population happy.

Return to “Pride of Nations”