Bateman1982
Private

Risorgimento - How to win as Austria

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi all,
After a long break, I've come back to Pride of Nations for another attempt at getting more comfortable with the battle system.
I like the Risorgimento scenario for this as it's small and allows easy trial and error of strategies.

I'm able to win fairly readily as Sardinia Piedmont but so far have been unable to win the scenario as Austria.

I'm assuming that more experienced players than me are able to win with Austria; if that's the case what actions do you take to repel the insidious Italian menace in this scenario?

Durk

Re: Risorgimento - How to win as Austria

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:56 am

My experience with the DLCs has been a fun one, but as they are more historical than balanced, do not worry if you cannot win as the side which lost historically.
My suggestion, try a different battle game. My favorite is the Spanish American War as this is the only treatment of that conflict I know. Try winning as Spain and you will appreciate Austria's problem in Risorgimento.
Because the DLCs are a small slice of the PON game system they were not rigorously tested for play balance. However, if you love the Risorgimento scenario, consider slowing the Italian movement toward nationhood a major success.

Bateman1982
Private

Re: Risorgimento - How to win as Austria

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Thanks, I can see why the Austrians had a hard time!

After a few more attempts trialling different approaches, I'm getting better at the scenario.

I seem to get more success if I mount an offensive against Alessandria quickly, but defend and retreat rather than taking the city.

Things get a bit easier when you get the decision to deploy another army (in my first 2 attempts, I was somehow defeated before that event fired!)

Slowly getting the hang of it anyway.

Return to “Pride of Nations”