Don Powell
Sergeant

Quick PON Survey

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:18 pm

1. How many times did you finish a Grand Campaign Game?

2. Of those times, how many instances were due to meeting the victory requirements early?

3. How many times did it end in 1920?

4. If, in your series of PON game plays you did both : Did you find one more enjoyable than the other? (Campaign time limit vs early victory requirements)

5. Grand Campaign enjoyment by country : In the games you completed, did you have a favorite country in terms of the game play experience ? If so - what were the enjoyable elements that set it apart from the rest ?

Durk

Re: Quick PON Survey

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:49 am

This is an interesting series of questions. I am assuming you mean in play against AI as pbem games are very long. So my answers come from only pbem games.
1. Never
2. Has not happened
3. Never got to 1920 as game are still in the 1880s or 90s.
4. No actual idea of what you are asking.
5. Answering without having completed any, but playing many. Britain is so fun to play as there are so many opportunities and challenge, but it is a burden, also.
France seems to be just about right. Lots of colonial opportunities, but not too many burdens, but you have to be strategic in play to gain needed coaling stations and productive colonies.
Germany and Italy are really a challenge with the dual challenge of unification and not falling too far behind in developing colonies.
Austria is a weird bird, huge military advantage early which can bring colonization. Fun, but ahistorical.
Just learning Japan, seems to be hopeful of expansion.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 am

1- 1
2 - End 1920
3 - 1
4 -
5 - Have completed one game as Italy and gone deep into games with Russia, France and Prussia. Clearly I am biased to the Italy game (not least its got a complete AAR etc) as the move from minor power to being seriously important was great to play out (the feeling of panic when I first got into war with the Ottomans compared to the epic late game world war vs Austria, Prussia and GB).

of the others - Prussia remains a good intro option, you have some real choices and are powerful from the start, France as Durk says has a lot of options and Russia is immense. Losing all my save files (& AAR notes) for a Russia game with a PC move is a real regret and may yet go back to having another go at it.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks for the replies so far ....

Let me rephrase :

4. If, in your series of PON game plays you did both : Did you find one more enjoyable than the other? (Campaign time limit vs early victory requirements)

to

If you completed at least 2 Grand Campaign games and won at least one game by satisfying victory requirements early and at least one game by finishing the Campaign time limit in 1920:

Which experience was more enjoyable (i.e - did you feel the game dragging towards the end or was it fun right up to the last turn. / On subsequent plays would you try to rush for the requirements or be happy to take the full ride to the end?)

Personally - I am only a few years in as Russia - and already am starting to see PON as its own hobby rather than a normal strategy game. :)

More answers welcomed on this one - if folks have other experiences to share ....
Last edited by Don Powell on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Although I played many both, MP as well as SP, I never actually finished one to the last drop. MP games tend to break at some point for various reasons. SP I abandon when the outcome becomes so clear that it is hard for me to keep motivation up.

I get more fun out of finding the best way to use the game engine, explore the possibilties of the economic games, get a certain colony with a totally unfit faction and such things.

I never heard of anybody who achieved early victory, it is a tuff challenge.

I like to play the underdogs. The fun can be limited though, when playing with the wrong guys in MP :P
Ottomans are my favourite. They practically have no chance of winning but got a lot of potential and when you reach the 1890's with the empire mostly intact you really played a good game.
US is also fun because you mostly kinda play against yourself, meaning the Civil War and the contentment of your population.

Austria is another country that gives you a headache, at least if Russia and France are counterweighing you in early game. If not you really have a steamroller there.

Durk

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:05 pm

Here is a thought - if the game has become addictive, try a game where you play all of the major factions. PON is really well designed for solitaire play with the player taking all ten listed factions as it is more about development and less about battle; but even major wars are enjoyable. It takes more time, of course, but it lets you see the strengths and challenges of each faction.

andrzej
Major

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Gentlemen, anyone wants to join our international MP grand campaign PON 1850-1920 .search for players began in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53435 .
Currently there are already 12 players in the game. Now there is an 8th turn.

Return to “Pride of Nations”