allan_boa
Colonel

The perfect grand strategy game ?

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:28 pm

I purchased PON years ago [2011] but never played it. In between I learned to love AGEOD games very recently with RUS and AJE.
And PON is a RUS/AJE ++ with the same military accuracy but with a powerful economic/trade/colonization mechanics, I'm stunned ! Could it be THE perfect game ? How could I have missed it back in 2011 ? Anyway, I'm back ! :dada: :dada: :dada:
Just started a GC as France. See you in 1680 turns from now :papy: :papy: :papy:

PS: and many thanks to Joe from Slitherine for generating a new steam key for me ! Greatly appreciated ! Good customer care. :hat:
Last edited by allan_boa on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Durk

Re: The perfect grand strategy game ?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:10 am

Yes, it may be the perfect game. In my view it is, but then I am always lost in games which need economic oversight.

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 am

Well, on one hand it's great that PON had all these economic/trade/diplomatic/colonization/politics features and they make it a very complex game with a huge potential. But at the same time I fully understand why AGEOD abandoned all these aspects in later games and decided to solely focus on war. It was a good move in my opinion because war is fun and when I see games like RUS, it was clearly a wining change. But at the same time I'm glad that PON exists ! Not sure I will be able to play a full campaign but the game is fascinating. I particularly love the colonial things, and trade.

Durk

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 am

Your are likely correct. PON was an intended replacement for the Victoria games, and it is so much grander.
I learned PON by playing all factions against myself, but now I find pbem games with lots of players a whole lot of fun. If you ever decide to do pbem drop me a PM.

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 am

Durk wrote:. If you ever decide to do pbem drop me a PM.

Sure ! Will remember your offer. Will continue my solo game for a while to get more confortable with all game mechanics but then, I'll surely want to try to pbem !

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 am

pbem games with lots of players

What do you mean ? I thought that pbem was limited to 1v1 ?

Durk

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:43 am

Oh no. In PON you could have a dozen players, though the default is about 10. Same with WON.
Large player games can be lots of fun.
In the AJE game there are a lot of three player games, as in RUS. ROP has a very nice four player game.

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:49 am

WOW !!!! That's the great news of the day !! :fleurs:

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:26 am

Generally speaking, is it easy to find pbem opponents ? I suppose it depends on the games ?
What about PON ? For example, could you easily arrange a 10 players game ?

Durk

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:37 am

It is probably easier to slip you into an ongoing game where a player has quit the game due to some reasons. But new games do form with some frequency.
For other games, you can often pick up an opponent. WON is kind of open.
What would you like to do?

allan_boa
Colonel

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 am

Well, for the moment I'm still learning PON. It's fairly complex so it will take some time, a week or so. Then I'll be happy to start a pbem :-)

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 am

I am always ready for a new PON.

allan_boa
Colonel

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Well, if you guys don't mind playing with a beginner, we can maybe start to organise the game ?

I was wondering how pbem works with several players as it's wego ? I guess everybody has to play it's turn in sequence (i play my turn, send the file to the next guy, etc) and the last player on the list press the end turn button and all is resolved at the same time and we see the result next time we receive the file ?

Durk

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:07 pm

What happens is all players create their ord. The game host collects them. When all factions have submitted and ord, the game is run. So all faction ords are used each turn with a common host.
You can try this yourself as you practice the game. Open Britain, make a move and save. Then open France and make a move and save. And so on for a half dozen factions or so.
Then run the turn.
Last edited by Durk on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:08 pm

In the case of PON there is a host file and turn files for every country. Everybody opens his/her turn file simultaneously, does their turn and saves it, wich produces an orders file. This orders file is being sent back to the host or put into dropbox. Then the host puts all in the same save folder and processes the turn. Wich produces a new host file and new turn files that the host sends out to the players and so on.
File endings are .hst .trn and .ord
The host file operates as general memory of the game. That way a turn per day can be processed, which normally is being done because even so a game lasts three years.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

beats me by a minute
I write too long texts. :papy:

allan_boa
Colonel

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm

Thanks for these explanations !
One more question, in general, how many turns/day or /week are played ?

Durk

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 am

Not sure exactly what you are asking. The game uses two week turns.

Not all pbem games use the same interval. Some play a turn a week, some have bi-weekly turns. Most try for a turn a day. As the events of this game are not as deterministic as other games, that is, if you are not at war it is not fatal to miss a turn or two, a typical game runs once a day with players who did not submit a turn having the game master do a save for them.

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 am

Yes I was asking the frequency at which you have to play/send a turn to the host. For example if you play a turn per day, as a GC has 1680 turns then you will need 1680 days to finish a game, which is 4 years (!!) :-) If it's a turn per week, you will need 1680 weeks which is about 30 years :papy: :-)
So if I understand well,if you don't send your turn, it is like pressing "end turn" without providing new orders ?

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 am

allan_boa wrote:So if I understand well,if you don't send your turn, it is like pressing "end turn" without providing new orders ?

Correct.
Either the AI for that specific country is being turned off or the host does a save, so that the AI doesnt take over during turn resolution.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:52 pm

allan_boa wrote:I purchased PON years ago [2011] but never played it. And PON is a RUS/AJE ++ with the same military accuracy but with a powerful economic/trade/colonization mechanics, I'm stunned ! Could it be THE perfect game ? How could I have missed it back in 2011 ? Anyway, I'm back ! :dada: :dada: :dada:

You did well waiting, as PON has been so patched on many years that now the patch is the game itself ! ,
it's a patch just for commercial purpose, protection of the game. :D

Return to “Pride of Nations”