vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Shamil bug?

Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm

In my game as Russia, it is 1855, and I have been having a fascinating time putting down the Shamil rebellion.

I have retaken all of the Caucasus, except for the province of Grozny, where Shamil is sitting with the remainder of his army. When the rebellion started, Shamil appeared in Grozny with a strong army and never moved out, though he did send some of his army out to attack, without him.

I moved a strong force to attack him, and the game crashed in the middle of the battle being displayed, with a pop up box saying that several errors. had occurred. After I clicked on one of the choices, the game crashed to desktop.

I tried the resume button, which took me back to just before I ended turn, ended the turn, and the same sequence described above happened.

I tried resume again, changed some of the moves and decisions, but still attacked Shamil. Same error, at the same time

I tried several other ways of saving, reloading, going back a turn or so, etc, and there was always a crash in the middle of the battle with Shamil.

Finally, I went back to the situation just before I ended the turn the first time, and did not attack Shamil, did not move any troops into Grozny. The turn cycled normally and ended perfectly.

It seems clear that this has something to do with attacking Shamil.

Has anyone seen this before, and does anyone have any ideas on how to attack Shamil without the game crashing?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Shamil bug?

Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 am

Yep, that exactly matches my experience - except he was in that fort in the middle of the Caucasus. It was clear it was the attempt to attack him that triggered the crash.

Since this was late in the year I decided I would let winter and supply do the damage so I blocked him in - easier in my case as of course Grozny would keep him well supplied.

When I attacked in the spring he collapsed - suspect low supply/cohesion - so no idea if it the crashes would have continued or if it was time limited

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 03, 2017 3:30 pm

loki100 wrote:Yep, that exactly matches my experience - except he was in that fort in the middle of the Caucasus. It was clear it was the attempt to attack him that triggered the crash.

Since this was late in the year I decided I would let winter and supply do the damage so I blocked him in - easier in my case as of course Grozny would keep him well supplied.

When I attacked in the spring he collapsed - suspect low supply/cohesion - so no idea if it the crashes would have continued or if it was time limited

Shamil and his force actually do have very low supply and cohesion...Their estimated strength has gone down from an original of 494 to 97, and the third bar of the stack is almost completely white.
The first time I tried to attack him, he was down to 197, and the game crashed.

After letting two turns pass while surrounding him, he was down to 97, and I attacked him, and got the same crash.
But you have given me the solution. It is actually winter, so i will keep him surrounded and wait for spring, just like you did.

This does make me think it is time limited.

Thank you so much for this valuable information, Roger.

Regards,

Vaalen

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I think there maybe something wrong about that event. The multiple choice ones have often proved to be problematic.

My suspicion is we have both seen the same crash trying to engage his army - and I vaguely recall someone a long time back reporting crashes at this phase. Equally its almost as if his army doesn't engage with the map - he's not there if you attack him and he seems not to pull in supply?

In your case, even if isolated, Grozny should keep a bunch of irregulars well supplied.

Its not exactly critical but wonder if the best solution is simply to rework as a standard event - ie force the revolt as I suspect very few Russian players would take the VP hit and delay things?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 03, 2017 11:04 pm

That makes a lot of sense. No Russian player worth his vodka is going to take a big prestige hit just to delay a revolt that will happen later anyway.

I also find it odd that his army is starving in Grozny. It did fine for several months. Now that I think of it, his army did not lose strength until winter came, so maybe that has some thing to do with it.

Also, a number of the event generated rebels that I fought were described as native regular infantry, not irregulars, when I moused over them when reviewing the battle report.

Just guessing, and i think your solution would work.

Offworlder
General

Sun May 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Yes the issue is tied to Shamil himself. He'll die/is removed a couple of years later and one can stroll in wherever he spawned.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Offworlder wrote:Yes the issue is tied to Shamil himself. He'll die/is removed a couple of years later and one can stroll in wherever he spawned.

Thank you for explaining this. Until he dies or is removed, he seems to have the malignant power to crash the game whenever I try to attack him.

Offworlder
General

Wed May 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Indeed he does. One other thing you can do is manoeuvre him into the mountains (sometimes he does move...very rarely though) by vacating them and moving your forces on the plain. He'd die through attrition

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Offworlder wrote:Indeed he does. One other thing you can do is manoeuvre him into the mountains (sometimes he does move...very rarely though) by vacating them and moving your forces on the plain. He'd die through attrition

Thank you for the excellent idea. I will try it.

Regards,

Vaalen

Return to “Pride of Nations”