empusas
Corporal

What does the L mean in the units being built (F3) screen

Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 pm

As the title states, I've not seen any documentation and cannot find any discussion about this. But when I have units being built, sometimes when I check on their progress under F3, I see a Big green "L" under the turns remaining box and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it signifies.

Any advice would be appreciated!! ;)

Empusas.

empusas
Corporal

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 am

Any guesses? 30 views and 0 replies so far. Maybe only USA sees this in the military screen (F3), so it's really really rare??

Its when you are looking at the units you have ordered to be built (that are in que). In the top right of each unit box, you see what looks like a little clock with a number by it telling you (if you can read the tiny print) how many turns left till its built. Well, right under that little clock in the top right corner, on occasion a Big Green Box appears with a letter "L".

Can anyone venture a guess, even, at what this "L" signifies??

Even if you don't know, I'd be interested in people's guesses!!

Thanks, Empusas

sirhiggins
Sergeant

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12 am

Same here, maybe L like learning? :) But no clue anyway.

empusas
Corporal

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Hey! Thanks for the guess!! thats more than anyone has ventured so far. I know they still complete the build, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the order being delayed or next in line , or just in line. No idea.. I get the L sometimes when it is the only thing ordered for that territory to build.

James D Burns

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 pm

Don't know for sure what it might mean, but late makes sense. But that is just a guess I pulled outta thin air.

Jim

empusas
Corporal

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:38 pm

OK, I am venturing my own guess. I'm thinking the "L" means "locked". I'm guessing you don't get the L to start with because you can cancel the build up until it becomes locked. And locked would also mean its locked and cannot move yet.

That's only my best guess, if anyone has another or actually knows the meaning of it, I'm all ears :)

Emp

uglyr
Private

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 pm

empusas wrote:OK, I am venturing my own guess. I'm thinking the "L" means "locked". I'm guessing you don't get the L to start with because you can cancel the build up until it becomes locked. And locked would also mean its locked and cannot move yet.

That's only my best guess, if anyone has another or actually knows the meaning of it, I'm all ears :)

Emp

Nope. There must be something else. I started to build transport ship (8 turns). Up to 5 turns left there were no L. Later L appeared and stayed to the end. I'm not sure and maybe it took longer than planned, so there is a chance for "Late".

empusas
Corporal

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 pm

That "late" would be my 2nd guess. I should pay more attention to my expected completion dates to find out. But, if you started those transport ships and no L till 5 turns left, I would think maybe you could cancel the build up until the L appeared in the last 5 turns where it was locked and also you couldnt move the unit until it was complete, so I guess that would fit the "locked" scenerio as well.

I guess until a developer happens upon this thread we will never really know, cause it seems no one reallly knows the real meaning of it.

Emp

Pocus

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:18 am

It means 'Laid', this means the ship has been launched and is being finished while floating. I think :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

empusas
Corporal

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Ahhh, so maybe that means the shipyard is available for another ship since its not still in the shipyard?? makes sense :)

By the way Pocus, I first saw that quote years ago on your signature in AACW forums, and I've remarked to others about it, but not sure who Hofstedter (sp?) is... its an interesting quote!!

czert2
Brigadier General

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Does that l appear only for ships or for different units too ?

empusas
Corporal

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 pm

It appears for ships frequently, cant remember but I thought I saw it appear for larger army units before too.

Lemoni
Sergeant

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Pocus wrote:It means 'Laid', this means the ship has been launched and is being finished while floating. I think :)

You think? ha ha... you created this masterpiece but you can t remember what is the meaning of the L...

James D Burns

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 pm

Lemoni wrote:You think? ha ha... you created this masterpiece but you can t remember what is the meaning of the L...

Don't forget he's coded all the AGEOD titles, so having a little brain overload spill out his ears is more than understandable. Not to mention the fact he coded this title many years ago, at about 10 years I think, maybe longer.

Jim

Egg Bub
Major

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:40 pm

empusas wrote:It appears for ships frequently, cant remember but I thought I saw it appear for larger army units before too.

I think that it should only apply to ships. Typically the soldiers are not "laid" as part of recruitment and training.

Pocus

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:41 am

It should appear only for ships. It has no real impact on gameplay but you can check if this is the point where cohesion is high enough to move the ship, while it is still reported as being built. Yes, I forgot about that! But the truth is that the idea originates from Philippe Thibaut, which is a fan of all things marine, so I'm more fuzzy than if the idea was mine :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Pride of Nations”