Bulldog69
Conscript

Britain invading Egypt

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:27 pm

I am new to PoN, so this is probably a very stupid question.

I'm playing as Great Britain in the Scramble for Africa scenario, and decided to invade Egypt (I had a long-term CB against them). All went OK, but I don't seem to be able to annex the place.

Also, I found myself fighting British generals (eg. General Gordon) and seemingly having the option to build Egyptian Camel Corps troops, but being unable to actually start building these anywhere.

Did I do something wrong?

Does Britain get the option to go in and basically put a puppet government in charge, as in history? Should I have waited for that option?

I am unable to play any Colonial Options in Egypt (presumably because it is a minor country or something, rather than a tribal area), so I don't see how I can rectify the position I am now in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim-NC

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Welcome to the forums Bulldog69. :wavey:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Welcome ...

Egypt is a problem (Siam is similar), in that you can't annex it nor is it a colony. There is no in-game equivalent to the historic form of British occupation (I found out this the hard way).

You really have 2 choices - accept the game can't simulate control over an organised minor state or get into scripting the outcome you want to achieve. I personally would make Egypt into a protectorate but I'm not sure what else that might break (in my game I just gave up and retreated)
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Bulldog69
Conscript

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks Loki

So its not possible to actually 'own' Egypt, and they will keep rebelling as long as I am there, I suppose?

If one doesn't invade Egypt, I wonder if there is any sort of 'event' which triggers a British protectorate state over the country and allows you to play the whole Rescue of Gordon thing?

And any thoughts on the Camel Corps troops? I was delighted when they appeared in the build options (lots of memories of Charlton Heston in 'Khartoum' etc) but unable to place them anywhere?

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:59 am

I've never played as Great Britain, but I know that some nations have the colonial option to control the railroads of another country. This requires building railroads in Egypt first. I don't remember exactly what the option does, but it seems like the closest you can come to having a puppet state.

Christophe.Barot

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am

loki100 wrote:Welcome ...

Egypt is a problem (Siam is similar), in that you can't annex it nor is it a colony. There is no in-game equivalent to the historic form of British occupation (I found out this the hard way).

You really have 2 choices - accept the game can't simulate control over an organised minor state or get into scripting the outcome you want to achieve. I personally would make Egypt into a protectorate but I'm not sure what else that might break (in my game I just gave up and retreated)

I am strongly in favour of changing situation to a colonial Egypt (like Tunisia or Morroco), as well as Persia btw, but that's a game design to make by AGEOD
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

Return to “Pride of Nations”