Kensai

Suez Canal as of v1.03d

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:40 am

Anyone else playing with the latest stable release? To me, at least, the Canal works only for the owner of the structure (and possibly of the region as well, but haven't checked on Egypt). All other nations cannot pass Suez, even if allied with the owner of structure (again, must check for allies of Egypt as well).

I have to admit that in my game I had to respawn the Suez Canal structure because it was destroyed by player action. But this should not play any role. Other than that, the structure works alright, giving a tax income every turn to the owner of the structure normally.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

PhilThib

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 pm

The event which makes the canal open is the one which changes the terrain type of the Suez region (i.e. the one allowing crossing by ships), so even if the structure disappears, it should not become an issue...what is the terrain type of Suez?

Kensai

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Indeed, the structure itself does not play a role. The Suez Channel special region appears (ie the graphic of the channel), but only Germany seems it can pass through. I think I should upload the last save game.

[ATTACH]26042[/ATTACH]

Nonetheless, I have created a script to make the structure reappear (so Germany, the legal owner in my alternate reality, can profit from it).

Code: Select all

SelectFaction = $GER
SelectRegion = $Suez
StartEvent = Fixing Suez Canal (1883)|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Suez|NULL

Actions

SelectFaction = $GER
SelectRegion = $Suez
  ChangeStrucPool = $Canal_Suez;1

CreateStruc
  SetType = $CANAL_SUEZ
  SetName = Canal (German Share)
  Apply

EndEvent

Things to see:

• why can't other nations use the canal (especially region owner Egypt, not sure)?
  • if there is the possibility to bind the region to the structure owner, so the decision to open or close the channel remains to the owner of the structure
Attachments
1883-04-01.rar
(2.89 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:54 pm

something I notice in my AAR is the builder (in my case Italy) can pass in peace time but not once at war (when no one can use). I'm now not sure if I noticed this playing with 1.03e or the 1.04 beta.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Kensai

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 am

I am at peace. Only Germany can pass which is not the owner of the region (let alone the structure which was destroyed). How is that, I do not know. I think the code of the channels got somehow bogged through the various patches.

In my opinion, it should be as simple as I suggested in the previous post. This way, the scripted events already in (that produce the structures) would not need to be altered. Let me rephrase it:

• Suez, Kiel, and Panama are built through events that produce decisions. The player decides to build them.
  • Structures, once built, should be indestructible. If region changes hands, structure remains to the original owner, unless at war with him as well.
  • Owner of the structure should be tied to owner of the canal.
  • Structure switch (ON/OFF) should decide if canal is open or closed. For all, including region owner.
  • Nations at war with structure owner should not pass the canal, even if it is open.

This way, respectively:

1. Nothing changes in the original events, ie France builts Suez and is the original owner.
  2. Players will not be able to delete the canal, as it happened to our PBEM, what a ridiculous action.
  3. The nation that owns the canal infrastructure (the structure) is the one that controls the traffic. The region (which almost always will be Egypt, unless occupied) is simply a neutral host.
  4. The switch is a good reason for the structure owner nation to keep the channel ON, as it will allow for money to be earned as well as trade traffic. A player should only close the channel at critical situations.
  5. This is done to help the AI which will not have the logic to close down the channel itself. It is also a good approximation of the real thing, as it makes the canals important geostrategic targets.
Großdeutschland Mod

Christophe.Barot

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 pm

seems nice
especially see thread about closing straits wishlist - this plus improved AI naval game would add more strategic depth to PON - of course one needs to take special cases into account, closing Dardanelles , Gibraltar, Entries of Baltic (give control to Germany to simulate mining possibilities, historically British couldn't get into Baltic, nor Russians get out when at war with Germany - late game of course) were political and strategic objectives (as well as not having Italy in both sides of Sicilian straits)

[color="#FF0000"]remainder : think about building Suez canal when Egypt control is British [/color]- needs some dupliaction/adaptation
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

cohimbra
Conscript

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi all, thanks to AAR Manufacturign Italy I retake this title and I'm in 60th turn (GC whit Sardegna-Piemonte).
I've read more times about the Canal Suez issue, but now that I've expansion plans in Horn of Africa, I want
to know this issue more in detail (if it's possible). Can you give me a link to a page that analyze the Suez
Canal issue and what are the consequences of this issue? Or, in alternative, can you explaine the issue to
a 'new' player? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my terrible english. Regards.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 pm

cohimbra wrote:Hi all, thanks to AAR Manufacturign Italy I retake this title and I'm in 60th turn (GC whit Sardegna-Piemonte).
I've read more times about the Canal Suez issue, but now that I've expansion plans in Horn of Africa, I want
to know this issue more in detail (if it's possible). Can you give me a link to a page that analyze the Suez
Canal issue and what are the consequences of this issue? Or, in alternative, can you explaine the issue to
a 'new' player? Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my terrible english. Regards.

Hi

your english is fine.

There are several problems. First you need to enable the Suez card for Italy - simplest is to find the Suez event in the France files and copy it over for Italy - just make it work for ITA.

Having said that, there are other problems. I've found it not to work when I was at war. But, if you own Palestine, which you can usually take in a war with the Ottomans you can order your ships to there, and then on to their final destination. This is not ideal, but it does work.

I fear we need to wait till Pocus can spend some time on this problem and at the moment just do the best we can. This affects all 3 canals but usually Suez is the most important.

cohimbra
Conscript

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:04 am

loki100 wrote:Hi

your english is fine.

There are several problems. First you need to enable the Suez card for Italy - simplest is to find the Suez event in the France files and copy it over for Italy - just make it work for ITA.

Having said that, there are other problems. I've found it not to work when I was at war. But, if you own Palestine, which you can usually take in a war with the Ottomans you can order your ships to there, and then on to their final destination. This is not ideal, but it does work.

I fear we need to wait till Pocus can spend some time on this problem and at the moment just do the best we can. This affects all 3 canals but usually Suez is the most important.

Thanks for quick response. I founded the Suez Canal Event in GBR Events.sct file (located in ...\VGN\Events folder), not in the France files:

SelectFaction = $GBR
SelectRegion = $Suez
StartEvent = evt_nam_CMN_SuezCanalOpened1869|1|2|evt_txt_CMN_SuezCanalOpened1869|Event-img_CMN_SuezCanalOpened1869|$Suez|NULL

Conditions
EvalEvent = evt_nam_GBR_Suez;=;0
MinDate = 1869/11/17
MaxDate = 1889/11/17
EvalRgnStruc = $Suez;FACALL;STRUCDEF $Canal_Suez
Probability = 75

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_CMN_SuezCanalOpened1869
ChgObjective = $Suez;10
SetEvtOccurs = evt_nam_GBR_Suez;MaxOccurs;0

EndEvent

Is this? Or I'm wrong?

PS. I don't want invade this thread with my question, but I take the opportunity to solve this issue.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:49 am

Ah no. Sorry I misled you the key part is in the 'canal events' file. You need to modify this one:

SelectFaction = $FRA
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1|1|0|NULL|NULL|NULL|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/07/01
MaxDate = 1877/08/01
EvalIsAtPeaceWith = EGY

SelectFaction = $EGY

EvalRgnOwned = $Suez

SelectFaction = $FRA
EvalResource = $merCapital;>=;1000
ActorEnabled = $gmaOptionGov;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859
CheckOption = $gmaOptionGov;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;=;1

Actions
ChgRgnDecisionFP = $rgdBuild_Suez_Canal;1
GenTextMsg = opt_notify_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1;1;NULL;NULL;NULL
ChangeActorPool = $gmaOptionGov;MaxUse;0;SubType;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859

EndEvent

to something quite simple (all you need to do is to give Italy the card that can be played to make the structure, so I'd make that:

SelectFaction = $ITA
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1|1|0|NULL|NULL|NULL|NULL

Conditions
MinDate = 1857/07/01
MaxDate = 1877/08/01

Actions

EndEvent

There is another problem which is that Egypt will take the canal away (think of Nasser a century early) unless you have relations over 25. This is not too hard, just play the 'diplomatic support' card and get a commercial agreement

good luck

Kensai

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:04 am

Why would someone need to do this? Or for Kiel and Panama for that matter. Is France's AI broken and won't fire the decision card itself?
Großdeutschland Mod

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 am

Kensai wrote:Why would someone need to do this? Or for Kiel and Panama for that matter. Is France's AI broken and won't fire the decision card itself?

if you look at the full chain, there are some tests for the AI around possession of key goods - I think it never meets this so will not build the canal.

What is needed is obviously for Pocus to look at the pathfinding code etc, but also reconsider the event chain (I think I'd rather see this card given to all the major European powers and a test applied around relations with Egypt) and to ensure that Egypt doesn't simply nationalise the canal (excellent idea though that is) as in the context of PoN you can't take it back

Christophe.Barot

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

ditto fo french building event, it works if Egypt holds Suez area, if we implement British takeover, conditions SelectRegion = $Suez Evalregionowned = EGY will no longer be fulfilled, we'll need same event with Evalregionowned = GBR in parallel in case it hasn't fired yet
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

[/color]

Kensai

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 am

The needs for the buildings of the Suez channel by the AI should be probably relaxed then. The event should fire easier. If time is a problem, a minimum date could be set.
Großdeutschland Mod

Christophe.Barot

there is a minimum date but no provision for AI making choice (in multiple choice)

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:38 am

Line 55902: ------------------------------
Line 55904: SelectFaction, selected: France
Line 55905: Started processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Deprecate
Line 55905: Event already referenced, [color="#40E0D0"]current occurences 1 Max allowed: 1 [/color] >>Sleeping<<
Line 55907: Too many occurences for event evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Deprecate further processing aborted.
Line 55916: Finished processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Deprecate
Line 55916: ------------------------------
Line 55918: SelectFaction, selected: France
Line 55919: Started processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1
Line 55919: Event already referenced, [color="#40E0D0"]current occurences 0 Max allowed: 1[/color] <<Active>>
Line 55922: Min date evaluated: 1857/07/01 converted to turn 2581 current turn 3092 True
Line 55923: Max date evaluated: 1877/08/01 converted to turn 3063 current turn 3092 False
Line 55926: SelectFaction, selected: Egypte
Line 55930: SelectFaction, selected: France
Line 55941: Finished processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1
Line 55941: ------------------------------
Line 55943: SelectFaction, selected: France
Line 55944: Started processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice2
Line 55944: Event already referenced,[color="#40E0D0"] current occurences 0 Max allowed: 1 [/color] <<Active>>
Line 55947: Min date evaluated: 1857/07/01 converted to turn 2581 current turn 3092 True
Line 55948: Max date evaluated: 1877/08/01 converted to turn 3063 current turn 3092 False
Line 55958: Finished processing event: evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice2
Line 55958: ------------------------------
[color="#40E0D0"]
events evt_nam_FRA_LessepsConcession1854 and evt_nam_FRA_CompagnieSuez1856 happened normally in 1854 and 1856 respectively but choice hasn't been made by French Player, no provision made for his choice- rather logical as I play Germany and AI the remainder of nations[/color]

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Suez
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_ON|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Suez|NULL

Conditions
EvalEvent = evt_nam_FRA_LessepsConcession1854;=;1
[color="#40E0D0"] EvalIsAtPeaceWith = EGY

SelectFaction = $EGY

EvalRgnOwned = $Suez[/color]
MinDate = 1858/07/01
MaxDate = 1878/07/01
Probability = 25

[color="#40E0D0"] minimum date maximum date is OK - ownership of Suez condition can easily be dropped to cover situations when Ottoman Britain France herself or any other power owns Suez during the crucial building period (after, no chance ever of building) but [/color] [color="#FF0000"]I wonder if anything happens when no player is there to click, imho nothing happens by default[/color],[color="#40E0D0"] so no building as I did not found AI building event here[/color]
[color="#FF0000"]
this has apparently other effects as Egyptian debt 1876 seems linked to it - further , so Egyptian chain of events does not fire either[/color]

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_CMN_SuezCanalProject

SelectFaction = $FRA
ChangeActorPool = $gmaOptionGov;MaxUse;1;MaxChoices;2;ImageID;Contract_ON.png;Title;opt_title_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;MsgString;opt_desc_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;ToolString;opt_hint_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;SubType;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;SParam1;FRA;TextChoice1;opt_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_desc_Choice1;ToolChoice1;opt_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_hint_Choice1;TextChoice2;opt_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_desc_Choice2;ToolChoice2;opt_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_hint_Choice2;SParam2;Suez_Construction_1859.png

EndEvent
[color="#40E0D0"]
then come the 2 choices ...[/color]

[/color]

Christophe.Barot

AI event for suez - script attempt

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

[color="#40E0D0"]I wrote this one to fill the void, Kensai, can you check if sysntax seems OK for you ?

if OK will write the same for Panama and Suez[/color]

SelectFaction = $FRA
SelectRegion = $Suez
StartEvent = evt_nam_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_AI|1|1|NULL|NULL|$Suez|NULL

Conditions
EvalEvent = evt_nam_FRA_LessepsConcession1854;=;1
EvalIsAtPeaceWith = EGY
[color="#40E0D0"]// hardly a problem but we can drop it[/color]
MinDate = 1858/07/01
MaxDate = 1878/07/01
Probability = 25

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_CMN_SuezCanalProject
Actions
GenTextMsg = opt_notify_FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859_Choice1;1;NULL;NULL;NULL
ChangeOption = $gmaOptionGov;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859;=;1
[color="#40E0D0"]// makes things as if we had clicked on it[/color]
ChangeActorPool = $gmaOptionGov;MaxUse;0;SubType;FRA_TheSuezCanalConstruction1859

EndEvent

[/color]

Return to “Pride of Nations”