vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

When will the latest version of 1.04 be fixed?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Gentlemen, the latest release candidate for 1.04 has some game breaking bugs, as has been mentioned here in a number of posts. I know that you have been very busy with new releases, but life without a working version of PON is just not the same.

Please consider this a respectful but firm, if somewhat desperate plea that you fix these problems as soon as circumstances allow. And if you can provide some sort of estimate as to when you can work on this, it would give us more a date to hope for.

It is wrong, somehow, to bring such a masterpiece into the world, and leave it in an unplayable state for those who have installed the latest release candidate.

And there is another reason. My son , an economics major, will be visiting from college this thanksgiving week, and has expressed great increase in PON and how the economy works in the game. He wants me to show him how to play it. This is a chance to secure another fan for Ageod. But not if the game does not work.

Thanks for considering this request.

Kensai

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Being an Economics major he might even propose some corrective ideas for a future adjustment, which makes it even more interesting! :)
Although for me it is not gamebreaking (as I have not installed it), v1.04 will let me continue my AAR. I really want to see the channels fixed and working.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

czert2
Brigadier General

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:55 am

well i found REALY groundbering bux - weven if youelimiate whole enemy units you will NOT capture city/fort/provience, even if you have 100 % military control. Whis is not nice bcese it realy slow down regenaration fom causalties and much more imortant - kan waging wars realy pointless.

bobbylev1
Conscript

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello, just wondering if there was any news yet on when we can expect to see a new patch?

Thank you, Bob

Slitherine Iain

Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi guys,

we're sorry you are having problems. We don't have any time set aside right now for PoN bug fixes but I'll talk with the team and see if there is anything that can be done.

Tuoweit
Conscript

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Slitherine Iain wrote:Hi guys,

we're sorry you are having problems. We don't have any time set aside right now for PoN bug fixes but I'll talk with the team and see if there is anything that can be done.

It would be nice to be able to play this game one day without having it crash irrecoverably, but I don't hold out much hope. Such a shame, it has a lot of potential.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:48 am

Slitherine Iain wrote:Hi guys,

We would deeply appreciate the bugs being fixed, Iain. A number of us consider this to be the greatest game ever published, and the last patch broke it. I miss it. I have the greatest respect for the team, and hope they can find a way to get it done, with your help.

Gen. Monkey-Bear
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 am

Agreed. I haven't even downloaded 1.04 yet because of all the complaints I've read. We all realize that the game is not a priority and not the most profitable, but I think most of us still dream . . .

And honestly, I'm surprised to see a Slitherine response about this. I thought the Philipes were the only two people who work on this? And of course people like Kensai, who are unofficial :)

bobbylev1
Conscript

Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:30 pm

vaalen wrote:We would deeply appreciate the bugs being fixed, Iain. A number of us consider this to be the greatest game ever published, and the last patch broke it. I miss it. I have the greatest respect for the team, and hope they can find a way to get it done, with your help.

Totally agree! I hope something can be done with the game as it would be such a shame for it to be left unloved.

Kensai

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:33 am

I wish I knew the inner workings of the AGE engine to patch it myself. But I am a simple scripter-event writer for that matter. Of course, AGE is so flexible you can really morph interesting situations out of the current state (which as of v1.03 is stable and almost fully-featured). I have stopped my "Game of Victorian Thrones" because I want to wait for the v1.04, cause in this game the Canals are not working properly. The Suez Canal has been disbanded and now ships make the long way around Africa. Game-breaker. I cannot even script in the structure back into the game, as for some reason it crashes it.

Once I am done with the Großdeutschland Mod (I am checking its progress, now) I will try to return to the AAR, even with v1.03. Since PBEM is one of the few ways to really enjoy the full extend of a strategy AGEOD game, I strongly suggest anyone to join me or any other multiplayer game. But I would really love to have v1.04, honestly, with the three channels working properly.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Kensai

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:01 am

Alright, I want to give you something even if the events have no descriptions or graphics so far. So perhaps players that start a 1850 campaign with Austria can troubleshoot and report any potential issues. Let's call it version v0.9. :)

You need to unzip this file in the Events folder of your game. I presume you have the vanilla version with no other modifications. It will add an updated index file for all 1850 Grand Campaign events and the new Austrian ones. In order to achieve unification you need to do the opposite of Prussia. Start from the Southern German States (Bavaria, Württemberg, Baden) and when done work your way to the rest of them. You can also play your decisions to slow down the Prussian ones. If Prussia achieves NGF and Austria SGF, then it is a deadlock.
Attachments
Grossdeutschland v0.9.zip
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Großdeutschland Mod

Jonathan Pollard
Major

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:24 pm

vaalen wrote: My son , an economics major, will be visiting from college this thanksgiving week, and has expressed great increase in PON and how the economy works in the game. He wants me to show him how to play it. This is a chance to secure another fan for Ageod. But not if the game does not work.

Speaking as an economics minor, I think the most blatantly unrealistic thing about the economic model is that there is no demand elasticity in your internal market based on price. This would be most important for luxuries, less so for common goods and food. For example, in the game your internal market will have the same demand in terms of number of units for automobiles regardless of whether the price is 50 or 2.
"Two suspects are in FBI custody after a truckload of explosives was discovered around the George Washington Bridge...the FBI...says enough explosives were in the truck to do great damage to the George Washington Bridge." Dan Rather of CBS News, 9/11/2001
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Jonathan Pollard wrote:Speaking as an economics minor, I think the most blatantly unrealistic thing about the economic model is that there is no demand elasticity in your internal market based on price. This would be most important for luxuries, less so for common goods and food. For example, in the game your internal market will have the same demand in terms of number of units for automobiles regardless of whether the price is 50 or 2.

Actually in real it is the other way around. Luxuries will be bought regardless of price, for the people that buy it don't want to save money, they want to make their neighbors jealous. Food on the other hand must be bought, (obviously)
regardless of price. If the price gets to high (a.k.a. too many labour reliant people are unemployed or poorly alimented) people start to riot. Whereas common goods are most prone to a price-demand-relativity. So the most important commodity in the game is food. The most blatant unrealistic thing in the game is, just my opinion, that there is demand of luxuries in the lower classes at all.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

epaminondas
Colonel

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:13 am

I think maybe there's confusion here between the way 'demand' is interpreted in economic theory and the way it's conceived in game terms.

As I see it, the concept of 'demand' used by the game is intended to represent an abstract want, whereas in economics its viewed as a realisable action. Thus, in the game, the fact that the lower classes can't realistically aspire to luxuries does not prevent them from wanting these in the way that I want a 60" Ultra HD LCD/LED television set. The fact that my income is necessarily directed toward more humble purchases doesn't dilute my desire to possess such a luxury, and the fact that others can afford one when I can't has a significant impact on my level of satisfaction with the world as it is.

Similarly, the fact that my demand is in this way 'inelastic' is not likely to affect the production plans of Sony since my want is so far removed from its expression via purchase that it can't be factored into economic modelling at all.

If we want to go back to the basics, I think that what 'demand' represents in game is the inexhaustible human capacity to want more.

Kensai

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 pm

The abstracted economy, albeit its unavoidable simplifications, works surprisingly well for the scope of the game. The only real shortcoming, in my humble opinion, is some missing safe mechanisms to deal with borderline or extreme situations, for example a human player playing in very mercantilistic way. In our PBEM, as far as I remember, we had managed to have a relatively stable and prosperous world economy with ups and downs (and lots of discussions!) as products were changing from highly demanded to highly supplied.

All in all, my only real concern is the aforementioned safe mechanics for the single player as well as a slower pace generally for the first 30 years of the game. This second part can actually be rectified through the options, by modding.
Großdeutschland Mod

Christophe.Barot

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 pm

problem with pace is that it will affect AI as well as player

and a micromanaging player will ALWAYS get superior results

in my game, AI fares well (for an AI), except :
- she has no long term view (anticipating need of steel or coal, or manufactured parts, or goods) and therefore won't build thelm unless it is profitable, which won't be before some delay - or may become locked in later stages (need of coal to operate things, but need manufactured parts for running it, electric pieces for the manufactured parts factory and so on, effectively creating a production ceiling as those may be in short world supply ...
- she has no redispatch option (that is without a player - run neighboorhood (germany, Austria, France, Italy, or Argentina Brazil, landlocked areas (namely southern germany and the south center of south america) won't be accessed, sometimes when they offer in abundance coveted goods

but it seems very difficult to program this correctly (or even script) whatever the game

- all in all the progressive cost of building is a brake to growth, even for a "production-mad" player in charge of the utmost efficient germany (Britain or USA will do too, Russia in some extent - high populatiion and resources, short of coal, lower productivity, will be more difficult for Italy Japan France for coal population ) so this seems relatively OK

all in all, and especially with basic floor production to help minors, and programmed railroad construction, system works rather good (with a reservation for endgame, where big industrial states do not reserve resources enough from consumption to dedicate them to production increase (when population and consumption industry - very profitable, uses all manufactured goods or steel or coal you get, well, your economy stagnates ...)
[color="#FF0000"]- (ordnance) Your Lordship, sorry to awake you, but The french are at our door !

- Alarm, alarm, how did you let this happen and not awake me ! repel them, counterattack at once !

- err, your Lordship, ahem... French are our allies, Marshal de St Arnaud is expected to attend to a conference with you !

- ahem, well, .... very well ..let them in !

(charge of the light brigade movie)
[/color]

Return to “Pride of Nations”