Mac Linehan
Private

Basic Game Question

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 am

Gents -

During the turn resolution, one of the messages that comes up is "15th Volunteers are now trained". I have gone through the rules and the patch information - but seemed to be missing the point. Does this type of message mean that a particular element is now active and is now active as part of a force on map?

Thank You for your help.

Mac

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:13 am

Mac Linehan wrote:Gents -

During the turn resolution, one of the messages that comes up is "15th Volunteers are now trained". I have gone through the rules and the patch information - but seemed to be missing the point. Does this type of message mean that a particular element is now active and is now active as part of a force on map?

Thank You for your help.

Mac

its one of two things (not got game open so have to guess a bit). I don't think it is that a new unit is ready - if I recall the turn before it is active you get a message 'unit X in Y has almost completed its training', the turn after it is available as an active unit. My suspicion is you have unlocked one of the techs that upgrade your units and this message is telling you that unit X has taken on the new weaponry - best to check your replacements (F3) screen as this sort of upgrade will eat through your spare chits.

Emre Yigit
Conscript

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Normally, loki100, that would be the case. When you unlock a tech, especially if you have sufficient reserve units, you get a mass of "xyz now trained" messages. However, these keep popping up later as well. One reason is that (I think) you need to have the units in a depot for them to be trained (not at all sure). However, I too get these messages, and they affect units which were already upgraded. Could there be auto-training going on?

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Emre Yigit wrote:Normally, loki100, that would be the case. When you unlock a tech, especially if you have sufficient reserve units, you get a mass of "xyz now trained" messages. However, these keep popping up later as well. One reason is that (I think) you need to have the units in a depot for them to be trained (not at all sure). However, I too get these messages, and they affect units which were already upgraded. Could there be auto-training going on?

This happens when you get a new tech that improves the weapons of your troops. As long as you have some replacements for the type of unit that can upgrade, the AI will automatically upgrade some of your units. This will not happen if you have no replacements in the pool. You do not need to be in a depot for this to happen, but you do need to be in supply, and I think you need to have the troops in national or possibly controlled territory. This will usually take several turns, as long as you have some replacements in the pool. Eventually, all your units should be upgraded.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm

no it also happens to units in colonies - I've just unlocked a new artillery type and some fort/naval guns I have in my colonies have upgraded along with the rest of the artillery formations

Mac Linehan
Private

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Gentlemen -

Very clear and concise answers to my question.

Am really hooked on PON - once the rules and game concepts are understood, PON moves along quite quickly.

I am most grateful for your help.

Mac

Kensai

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 am

vaalen wrote:You do not need to be in a depot for this to happen, but you do need to be in supply, and I think you need to have the troops in national or possibly controlled territory. This will usually take several turns, as long as you have some replacements in the pool. Eventually, all your units should be upgraded.

Even with Historical Attrition ON? The replacements, at least, happen in that case only on depots which are the equivalents of "organized bases".
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Mac Linehan
Private

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Gents -

Another question, please.

F2 "List of Forces" has an "Autonomy" column. Am not sure what this column represents.

I am using patch 103d.

Thanks -

Mac

Jim-NC

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 am

I must say I have never used it for anything, but looking at the values, ships have the highest values.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Egg Bub
Major

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

Mac Linehan wrote:Gents -

Another question, please.

F2 "List of Forces" has an "Autonomy" column. Am not sure what this column represents.

I am using patch 103d.

Thanks -

Mac

I have seen tribal units that were given to me after declaring a colony (and which have high "autonomy") take it upon themselves to fight by themselves. As GB I declared war on China and while I fought a campaign in the East, my Burmese irregulars ran amok and captured some Western Chinese cities by themselves.

Mac Linehan
Private

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Jim-NC, Egg Bub -

Thank you for your replies.

Autonomy means - IIRC, self sufficiency and independence. Perhaps, in this case, Autonomy means the level of self sufficiency and ability / freedom to move into adjacent regions?

Mac

Pocus

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 am

No, autonomy here is the number of turns they can stay supplied by themselves.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Mac Linehan
Private

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Original:

No, autonomy here is the number of turns they can stay supplied by themselves.

Pocus -

Thank You for your clarification - this is a very useful table.

Mac

Return to “Pride of Nations”