Moriety
Major

Loyalty

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:27 am

Apologies if this topic has been raised before, but my search for it brought up a tiny box, and once the word was entered yielded no results so I guess it's broken.

I noticed only one of the colonial cards can shift loyalty, except it doesn't as it's broken. (For Russia at least)

It got me thinking about the colonial era and how the actual reality was on the ground.
Same-nationality colonies such as British Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA were initially more loyal to the British Crown than most UK subjects were it seems. But over time the loyalties to these "new" nations grew and the ties to the former mother country shrank.

I was wondering, surely, if an area achieves 'Colonial' status, then the loyalty should be set at 100% to the mother nation, and then decline naturally overtime as a sense of national identity slowly takes root? (For the USA it could be modelled by the South and the North developing separate cultural identities until the Civil War, then with a common USA identity slowly binding them together post-war)

If I look at Protectorate status within the old British Empire, most peoples had no loyalty to Britain, it really was just the nations that had Crown Colony status (and in the case of the big 4: Canada, Aus, NZ and South Africa) rapidly achieved Dominion (Independent) status, linked together only by a common culture, trading and defence.

To handle the declining loyalty the new forming nations could pay for industries that they take control of when loyalty drops to 50%, and an automatic friendship alliance be set, if the player agreed, along with preferential trades to the former mother nation. It would certainly model the total reliance the UK had with nations such as Canada, NZ and Australia for food and other supplies.
This would also allow the former Spanish empire (for instance) to give up the rod with grace or by war if the player disliked the break up with the new nation.

I'm thinking more of a PoN 2 for this, but what do you players think?
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Kensai

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Have you tried to bribe the locals or sign a treaty with them through the colonial cards? This definitely raises loyalty. It's not broken.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Moriety
Major

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Kensai wrote:Have you tried to bribe the locals or sign a treaty with them through the colonial cards? This definitely raises loyalty. It's not broken.

Yep, It never makes any difference. It must be a Russian problem, or WAD for Russia then I assume.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Egg Bub
Major

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 pm

From my experience the colonial cards work for most regions, but sometimes they never work at all. I reckon a combination of other factors affects whether their effects are implemented.

Return to “Pride of Nations”