Mr Bill
Corporal

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Mowers wrote:Stick to a simple diplomatic model, a more basic model will give better results most of them. As much as I love paradox's work, Paradox's diplomatic model doesn't really work and is overly complex.

I don't know if I agree with you that Paradox's diplomatic model was overly complex, but I do agree it doesn't work. :D

I don't automatically favor complexity for complexity's sake, but I do feel the diplomatic model should be sufficiently complex. Too much simplicity may lead to an overly rigid and insipid system. I have faith that AGEOD will try to make the simplest model that still offers players interesting choices and yields realistic results within the framework of historical plausibility (yeah, I'm an idealist sometimes :o ).

VoN's diplomacy may be more or less complex than Paradox's. In some respects it may be more complex than Paradox's, perhaps less in others. I will guess (guess being the operative word), though, that there will be a net increase in complexity. I'm guessing this complexity will arise in there being more factors affecting international relations and how nations behave on the world stage. Bear in mind, my crystal ball is on the fritz, so anybody's guess (aside from the VoN dev and beta team's, who have a bit of an inside edge :niark :) is as good as mine. :)

On another note...VoN's official forums have opened up. w00t! :dada:

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 am

Yay! Our own forum for VGN! Game news can't be far behind! :thumbsup:

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Speaking about diplomacy complexity... I hope treaties are like those in Diplomacy (Paradox). I liked the various types of treaty, how everything was drag-and-drop, and how the game would remind you if you were doing something illegal. Still, the EU3 model was easier to see and harder to mess up.

Mowers
Captain

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Mr Bill wrote:I don't know if I agree with you that Paradox's diplomatic model was overly complex, but I do agree it doesn't work. :D

I don't automatically favor complexity for complexity's sake, but I do feel the diplomatic model should be sufficiently complex. Too much simplicity may lead to an overly rigid and insipid system. I have faith that AGEOD will try to make the simplest model that still offers players interesting choices and yields realistic results within the framework of historical plausibility (yeah, I'm an idealist sometimes :o ).

VoN's diplomacy may be more or less complex than Paradox's. In some respects it may be more complex than Paradox's, perhaps less in others. I will guess (guess being the operative word), though, that there will be a net increase in complexity. I'm guessing this complexity will arise in there being more factors affecting international relations and how nations behave on the world stage. Bear in mind, my crystal ball is on the fritz, so anybody's guess (aside from the VoN dev and beta team's, who have a bit of an inside edge :niark :) is as good as mine. :)

On another note...VoN's official forums have opened up. w00t! :dada:

So why doesn't it work? At a base level the model doesn't work, and it doesnt work because it's almost impossible to program an AI diplomatic model to deal with so many factors. So whilst I like having all the shiny buttons and wide range of options it is a model that is inherantly not going to work.

So what is the answer? Create a model that does work and build upwards. Unfortunately that probably means a rigid system but something that works will always be better than something that does not work after the first couple of turns.

Rafiki

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 pm

[color="Blue"]Guys? There's a whole forum there to discuss whatever you want to discuss about VGN; no need to stick it all in this thread ;)

In fact, I'll be closing this thread soon; get your topics out and into their own threads while there is still time!! :wacko: [/color]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Peeking Duck?
Conscript

Sun May 17, 2009 7:26 pm

PhilThib wrote:But we want to hear players' wishes first, to see if we missed stuff or if there are useless features.

Please, please, please make the game compatible with high resolutions (ie, 2560x1600 etc). Nothing worse than seeing beautiful game artwork and carefully crafted font faces distorted due to res differences.

Also, since you're asking, will the game support a windowed mode?

Can't wait...

Cheers,
Peek

RELee
Lieutenant

Mon May 18, 2009 8:59 pm

So many great ideas in one thread, the deadline approaches way too slowly for my tastes.

I have nothing new to add. I just wanted to reiterate my pleasure in seeing this game being released this year. AGEod has become my new company of choice. Turn-based games, decent prices, and a commitment to excellently researched war games that don't bog down my computer with cd protection schemes and forcing me to use the cd in the drive to play a game - all these points make AGEod my company of choice.

Y'all come back now...y'hear?

Pocus

Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Peeking Duck? wrote:Please, please, please make the game compatible with high resolutions (ie, 2560x1600 etc). Nothing worse than seeing beautiful game artwork and carefully crafted font faces distorted due to res differences.

Also, since you're asking, will the game support a windowed mode?

Can't wait...

Cheers,
Peek

There is no resolution constraint, now, it also depends of your video card GPU, with such resolution, you better have the latest one!
Windowed mode, no problem.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:00 pm

deleted

Hohenlohe

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Anything new about VGN...??

greetings

Hohenlohe :coeurs:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Pocus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:58 am

Still on schedule, meaning several months after Victoria II, as planed ... I'm currently reworking some windows and adding new ones too. Graphical User Interface creation is always a long process if you want the result to look good while being practical.

Some of our volunteers are in the midst of building the roster of generals and admirals for Spain. That is rather interesting...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 am

This game looks to be a gem! I cannot wait to buy it!
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Has it really been three years in the making?

The time goes so fast.

Pocus

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Well, Rise of Prussia slowed its progress, but basically yes...

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm just getting old i guess, it seems like it was only yesterday to me.

beatoangelico
Private

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 am

wasn't VGN the very first project of AGEOD, started before you shifted all the resources on the "smaller" Birth of America?

PhilThib

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 am

Not exactly, we started to work on another "big" project which stopped in 2005 because the publisher cancelled it, and shifted ressources to BOA (which was released early 2006). The VGN project started immediately afterwards, but was constantly delayed as we released other titles (AACW, NCP, WIA, ROP) almost every year...

Nevertheless, because all these games work on the AGE engine, each individual game contributed to the final development and is a precious stone brought to the VGN building... :cool:

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

PhilThib wrote:Not exactly, we started to work on another "big" project which stopped in 2005 because the publisher cancelled it, and shifted ressources to BOA (which was released early 2006). The VGN project started immediately afterwards, but was constantly delayed as we released other titles (AACW, NCP, WIA, ROP) almost every year...

Nevertheless, because all these games work on the AGE engine, each individual game contributed to the final development and is a precious stone brought to the VGN building... :cool:
I remember that Rome game you did years ago, though I have since forgotten the name of it.

Ever consider returing to the ancient world using the AGE engine?

Might be fun to run about as Celts or Persians clobbering Greeks and Romans.

Le Ricain

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:10 am

Chris Stavros wrote:I remember that Rome game you did years ago, though I have since forgotten the name of it.

If you look in the General Discussion section you can find a thread containing a poll which asked AGEOD fans in which historic time periods they would like to see a game set in.

It seems many Forumites agree with you as ancient Rome came second behind a Napoleonic campaign game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

steveuk
Civilian

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 pm

Chris Stavros wrote:I remember that Rome game you did years ago, though I have since forgotten the name of it.

I believe the game was called Pax Romana.

RELee
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm

PhilThib wrote:...

Mmmm. Almost poetry.

Marcelo
Conscript

Pax Romana

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 pm

steveuk wrote:I believe the game was called Pax Romana.

Yeap, that was the name. Great, great idea which did not quite work well. It reminded me of an old boardgame, Republic of Rome. It seems Paradox borrowed more than a few elements and put it into EU - Rome, but that one did not work well either. Maybe it's Phillip's turn again? ;)

I was in the beta group and still have the CD Antik (Phillip) sent me. It has a sort of sentimental value to me but I will sell it for a thousand dollars if someone wants it. :D

Marcelo

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Preview of Pride of Nations in French Canard PC. I didn't read yet as I'm waiting for it in my mailbox.
Look at the very top of http://www.canardpc.com/img/couv/couv_Canard_PC_234.jpg
EDIT: 1 page (p.42)

Caccio
Sergeant

My Heartiest Congratulations

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Great work, guys. I've only been messing with this for a couple days, but it's already an obvious classic on the order of AACW. I really like the strong economic element; reminds me of my favorite game of this era from a long time ago: Imperialism. I guess I'm showing my age. :thumbsup:

PhilThib

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:35 am

Which should be about the same age like mine :mdr: ... Thanks for the support and congrats :cool:

Didz
Civilian

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

I downloaded the Pride of Nations Demo earlier in the week, and my first reaction is that I would like to see a bit more thought given to the presentation of the tutorial.

This is likely in effect to be the first insight that someone thinking of playing the game will get of how it plays, and to be quite honest the current format it doesn't do the game any favours.

I struggled through the first two tutorials without really being inspired, and found that by the end of the second I was just clicking buttons and my brain had gone into zombie mode. I wasn't taking anything in at all.

I would have preferred something that demonstrated what the game was like to play. Other games I've played have tutorials that are integral to a mini-campaign scenario, so that its more like a walkthrough of actual game play rather than a mechanic's handbook.

I know most people only go through the tutorial once, but it is a very important event especially in a demo when one is trying to persuade the player to buy the full game.

Aphrodite Mae

Wow!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Dixicrat and I have downloaded the demo, and all I can say is "Wow!" :w00t:

...OK, actually, I can say more than that.

Like, to start with, let me say what a wonderful masterpiece you've created! Thank you, AGEod, so much for creating a beautiful, fascinating, intricate and challenging work of art among strategy games! :coeurs: The Victorian era is one of my favorites, and I think that my husband and I will be spending a lot of time with this one!

There's so much more I could say, but I don't have time, because I want to hurry back to exploring this beautiful, amazing game!

Merci Beaucoup, AGEod! :)
Aphrodite Mae

Generalisimo

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:54 pm

It is great to hear that you like it :coeurs: ... but this gets better... the demo is now "old" :blink: ... the game has been improved A LOT to the current version (1.02 official patch to be released ;) ).
:thumbsup:
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Hohenlohe

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:Dixicrat and I have downloaded the demo, and all I can say is "Wow!" :w00t:

...OK, actually, I can say more than that.

Like, to start with, let me say what a wonderful masterpiece you've created! Thank you, AGEod, so much for creating a beautiful, fascinating, intricate and challenging work of art among strategy games! :coeurs: The Victorian era is one of my favorites, and I think that my husband and I will be spending a lot of time with this one!

There's so much more I could say, but I don't have time, because I want to hurry back to exploring this beautiful, amazing game!

Merci Beaucoup, AGEod! :)

Hi Aphrodite,

nice to see you back.I can only remind that PON is wonderful even playing the Ottomans means to be funny. I tried some cheating and now saw that my overflow on ressources was reduced due to corruption.

But all in all it means fun...

greetings

Hohenlohe :love:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Return to “Pride of Nations”