McNaughton

1 month or 2 week turns?

Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi there, I am working on a mod for PoN and have a querry..

I was trying to have a dynamic system where the game is 'regularly' on a 1 month turn basis, until the human player enters war, then the system changes to 2 week turns. However, this causes errors in the time-space-continuum and won't work.

I was thinking of the following solutions...

#1. Have 1 month turns (making a whole game playable).
#2. Have shorter scenarios (1850-1880 as one scenario, 1880-1920 as a second scenario).

Any suggestions for the mod?

Durk

Mon May 14, 2012 3:49 am

For what it is worth, my vote would be monthly turns. I would really like this pace.

Of course, truly whole game scenarios would be delightful, too. The short options available at the moment are only battle games.

McNaughton

Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 am

Yeah, scenarios definitely 2 week turns, I think I will work on 1 month turns for the mod. Thanks for the feedback!

PhilThib

Wed May 16, 2012 7:23 am

Yes, the monthly turn would be better...now just take care of some of the changes it could impact (especially in terms of income / cost ratios)

sagji
Lieutenant

Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I think even with monthly turns most people won't finish a game. With monthly turns you also have problems with wars - the 7 week war only lasts 2 turns.

I would suggest a number of medium length.

Unity and Disunity
Covers the unification of Italy, and Germany, the secession of the CSA and its adsorption after the ACW and the splitting of Austria into Austro-Hungary.
Key wars - Second Italian Unification, Austro-Prussian, Franco-Prussian, ACW.
Start date Jan 1859.
End date Dec 1879.

Colonial Rush
Covers the rush for colonies - so about 1880 to 1900

End Game
Covers 1900 to 1920 - mainly working towards WWI.
Includes the German-British naval arms race.

Ideally plus some shorter 5 or 10 year campaigns.

yellow ribbon

Wed May 16, 2012 1:39 pm

i agree, a lot of gamers cant imagine a timeline more than 100-150 turns and hereby it doesnt matter how long the turn processing is, or whether weekly, biweekly of monthly turns...

for a short run solution, i opt for monthly turns. about mis-calculation in PON, we did some testing with multiplying the resources in- and output times 10 and times 100, to get rid of them.
we played around with rounding the construction time to end the 29th each months, but messed up thereby.

question to the senior modders, do you consider a solution of 10 year long scenarios as possible, when you can make the own choice of entering the next 10 years with your current state of the game OR picking up simply the next scenario fromthe main menu with a predefined setup up materials/structures etc...?
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Sir Garnet

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I like the half-month turns for military orders and supply, but adjustments for a month could be managed.

Return to “Pride of Nations”