Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:24 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:http://shopeu.ageod.com/fiche.html?REF=737144

however, even the dollar price for the disc version is lower in most cases

and NO i dont work for them :D

But you're still stuck with a download if you want to play right away.

I have a disk copy of AACW and GG download versions of everything else. The disk version is the slowest to install.

On the other hand, I think AGEOD makes more money on direct sales, so there's that advantage.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Caccio wrote:Yes, I have 1.01o, but that's not the unpatched PON recommended by Pocus.

Don't you have whatever you installed before you patched it to 1.01o? In other words, you do own the game, right?

I'm not familiar with all the versions that have come out on disk, etc., but if the version you have installed originally as 1.01o, then just install the patch over that.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:29 pm

richfed wrote:Oh, I see that I do have the installation files .... let me see how this works out. Not familiar with this format. I have all my AGEOD games saved for future installations. This GG thing is different.

If you have the GG files, there should be a setup file with the GG icon and a folder of temp files. Click on the GG icon and it will ask you for your log-in information. It will go online to identify you, then you'll be able to install the game from the temp files. Works like a charm.

Also, my memory is that each DLC (Franco-Prussion War scenario, etc.) has its own GG setup icon. If you downloaded them all at the same time, or even at different times to the same place, my guess is that you'll have one temp file with everything in it and several GG setup icons.

Make sense?

Cohnman5
Corporal

For ONCE Steam got it right!

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:31 pm

For the first time ever, the Steam patch to 1.02 from 1.01 went flawlessly and without a hitch. Maybe, just maybe, the Steam platform is not so bad. And THANKS for a GREAT patch 1.02!

VIVA LA FRANCE! :thumbsup:

yellow ribbon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Queeg wrote:But you're still stuck with a download if you want to play right away.

I have a disk copy of AACW and GG download versions of everything else. The disk version is the slowest to install.

On the other hand, I think AGEOD makes more money on direct sales, so there's that advantage.

sorry, i grew up with the C64 and the that days innovation of datasette...

i think in different terms and dont plan to stare any progress bar down but in case of automatic reboot and password demanded afterwards.

anyway, usually dont install games more than once if not needed :mdr:

richfed

GamersGate version will not patch to 1.02

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Clean install of GG download; then a patch attempt. This is the view attached ...
Attachments
PON Patch Error.jpg
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:38 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:sorry, i grew up with the C64 and the that days innovation of datasette...

i think in different terms and dont plan to stare any progress bar down but in case of automatic reboot and password demanded afterwards.

anyway, usually dont install games more than once if not needed :mdr:

I'm an old guy too. Adapt! :thumbsup:

A fresh install is always a good idea with beta patches. Logically, it shouldn't always matter. But, realistically, it often does. Fewer headaches in the long run by starting fresh.

yellow ribbon

Crc 32

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm

[color="Red"] cyclic redundancy check for 32 bit version...[/color]

as i guessed you have a mess with the unzipping program, not with the installation...

have you tried other programs like 7z and then use only the rightclick and the order extract here ???

i know this kind of problems at work, when we use .iso backup files and cant do anything but with the original .rar-program

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:47 pm

richfed wrote:Clean install of GG download; then a patch attempt. This is the view attached ...

I can't tell from the screenshot exactly where in the process you're getting the error.

Try this. The patch is in a zipped folder. Unzip the folder to your desktop. (You can just right-click on it and do "Extract All.")

That will put the unzipped patch executable on your desktop. Try running the patch from there.

You may be trying to install the unzipped patch, which may give you that sort of error.

Sorry if this is off base, but it's the best I've got.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:[color="Red"]
as i guessed you have a mess with the unzipping program, not with the installation...

That's my guess too.

yellow ribbon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:55 pm

Queeg wrote:I can't tell from the screenshot exactly where in the process you're getting the error.

Try this. The patch is in a zipped folder. Unzip the folder to your desktop. (You can just right-click on it and do "Extract All.")

That will put the unzipped patch executable on your desktop. Try running the patch from there.

You may be trying to install the unzipped patch, which may give you that sort of error.

his winzip is still open and giving the error reporting,

CRC(32) is evaluating (sorry bad English, dont know to describe it better) a value of polynomial division for each data block, so even if the file is ok, he will get a error message as soon winzip is messing up...

merely problems are identified, not datas integrity tested

Caccio
Sergeant

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Queeg, if you're asking whether I bought the game, I did, by direct download from Ageod months ago. I've patched over that version many times, and I'll patch it again with 1.02 if I have to. However, since Pocus recommends patching 1.02 over an "unpatched PON", I'd just like to know where I can find it, which is not an unreasonable request. Paradox could easily post an unpatched 1.01 in Tech Support, to which PON players have access only if they have a Paradox forum key. You have to prove you actually bought the game, one way or another, to get such a key.

richfed

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:11 pm

I just tried 7Zip ... I get a message that it is an unsupported compression method. ???????
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

lodilefty

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Queeg wrote:I can't tell from the screenshot exactly where in the process you're getting the error.

Absolutely do NOT try to run installers or patches from "inside" a zip file.
Extract, then run
(I always delete the zip after extracting and running, so I remember what I've installed:blink :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

yellow ribbon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Caccio wrote:Queeg, if you're asking whether I bought the game, I did, by direct download from Ageod months ago. I've patched over that version many times, and I'll patch it again with 1.02 if I have to. However, since Pocus recommends patching 1.02 over an "unpatched PON", I'd just like to know where I can find it, which is not an unreasonable request. Paradox could easily post an unpatched 1.01 in Tech Support, to which PON players have access only if they have a Paradox forum key. You have to prove you actually bought the game, one way or another, to get such a key.

Caccio, calm down, no one is accusing you!

there is ONLY ONE WAY you could have a 1.00 Version of PON and thats the DVD

EVERY OTHER DISTRIBUTION WAS DONE WITH 1.01 from the very beginning.

if you have the DVD, i gave you the link.

if you have a online distributed game, you make a normal new installation in a clean folder without any rest of older patches in it.

before it, you may copy the saved games to the desktop and put them back after the installation!

after the installation just run the patch 1.02 over it

thats all... :bonk:

yellow ribbon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:16 pm

richfed wrote:I just tried 7Zip ... I get a message that it is an unsupported compression method. ???????

do you use Win7...

Vista and XP never made any problems for me, neither last evening... :confused:

Did you pick up a 32bit or a 64bit version of 7zip ???

richfed

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:47 pm

I use Win 7 -- 7Zip was the 32bit version

Let me ask, if you download the game from Ageod, what is the default installation directory?

Caccio
Sergeant

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:08 pm

With all due respect, YR, how am I supposed to make a "normal new installation" when the only version of the game I have is 1.01o?

yellow ribbon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Caccio,
game went public in June as 1.01, till now Beta patches were supported, now the official 1.02.

to be able to patch to 1.01 OSCAR, which was a BETA PATCH, you needed to have already either

a.) dvd plus patch 1.01 plus beta patch OSCAR

b.) online version of the game

b.1) which could derive from steam. it now comes already as 1.02 and there is no need to patch

b.2) it was downloaded from AGEOD was a 1.01 anyway, redownload, and you can run it and then patch to 1.02

b.3) gamersgate or "other" ways i frankly dont know the normal pattern...

otherwise you could NOT have 1.1 OSCAR.

so either you have 1.01 already from the very beginning, or you have to patch to it if you own the dvd, or you did a mistake while patching a online purchase copy which does not "refill back to 1.01" and now you sit on the 1.01Oscar...
for steam this would not have work, thus the re was the need to drag and drop patch it into another folder...

theres only one sngle way you do not operate on 1.01 already, and thats IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED FROM THE DVD...

so dont worry, install the game and patch it with 1.02

EDIT:

If they advise you to use a clean installation its kinda fail-safe for them:

makes it easier to derive where remaining bugs / new problems derive from and eliminates a part of the risk to run into trouble which Pocus lately named regression errors, triggered by a patch, solved by a patch and not even named in the change log ^^
just install the bloody patch.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Caccio wrote:Queeg, if you're asking whether I bought the game, I did, by direct download from Ageod months ago. I've patched over that version many times, and I'll patch it again with 1.02 if I have to. However, since Pocus recommends patching 1.02 over an "unpatched PON", I'd just like to know where I can find it, which is not an unreasonable request. Paradox could easily post an unpatched 1.01 in Tech Support, to which PON players have access only if they have a Paradox forum key. You have to prove you actually bought the game, one way or another, to get such a key.

Sorry, didn't mean this to go off in that direction. I assume you no longer have the original download? In that case, sounds like your choices are:

1. Redownload the game. It's been awhile since I ordered a game from AGEOD directly, but in the past I've always received an email with the download link. Not sure how long they're valid, but check your email and try the link.

2. Email AGEOD and ask for another link.

3. Install the patch over your current version and don't worry about it.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:53 pm

richfed wrote:I use Win 7 -- 7Zip was the 32bit version

Let me ask, if you download the game from Ageod, what is the default installation directory?

I use Win 7 too but not 7Zip. I just use the utility that ships with Windows (and WinRAR for rar files).

I think the default directory for the game installation is C:\Program Files (x86)\Pride of Nations. I always install my games into a C:\Games\ directory, though, to avoid Windows UAC weirdness.

I think YR is right. Your problem isn't with the installation. It's an error when 7Zip is unzipping the patch folder.

What shows up when you right-click on the downloaded file? In default Win 7, there will be an "Extract All" option that will use the default Windows extraction tool to unzip the folder to whatever location the zipped file is at. (If the zipped file is on your desktop, it will extract the folder also to your desktop.) You'll get a folder with the same name as the zipped file, but it will be unzipped. In that folder will be the patch. Run the executable (double-click the patch) from there.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm

richfed wrote:I just tried 7Zip ... I get a message that it is an unsupported compression method. ???????

Looking again at your screenshot, it looks like you're trying to run the patch from inside the compressed (zipped) folder. You have to extract (unzip) the patch first.

Simplest way is to do what I described in my last post. Let Windows do it.

Caccio
Sergeant

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:09 pm

I've calmed down, and I appreciate the interest you've both taken in my little problem. I've now patched over 1.01o with 1.02, run the game, and everything seems to work fine. The issue arose only because I have tremendous respect for Pocus, and I tend to take what he says seriously, even when I don't understand the technical reasons. In this case, his recommendation about patching over an "unpatched PON" surprised me, because I don't recall similar prior advice in my four years of buying, patching and playing Ageod games. Moreover, the game's file structure is so simple (one .exe and a handful of data file folders) that I can't see how the patch process would affect performance.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Caccio wrote:I've calmed down, and I appreciate the interest you've both taken in my little problem. I've now patched over 1.01o with 1.02, run the game, and everything seems to work fine. The issue arose only because I have tremendous respect for Pocus, and I tend to take what he says seriously, even when I don't understand the technical reasons. In this case, his recommendation about patching over an "unpatched PON" surprised me, because I don't recall similar prior advice in my four years of buying, patching and playing Ageod games. Moreover, the game's file structure is so simple (one .exe and a handful of data file folders) that I can't see how the patch process would affect performance.

Glad to hear you're up and running.

Someday, though, you're gonna need that original installation file. If you downloaded it direct from AGEOD originally, I suggest you:

1. Find the email with the download link and (if the link still works) download and save that file. Or

2. Email AGEOD with your serial number, etc. and get a new download link. I had to do that once with Birth of America when I lost the original download.

rogs
Sergeant

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 am

Hullo, i'm getting annoyed by this patch

i have downloaded it twice from AGEOD at a net cost of 350M in bandwidth and when you click open or extract using winzip you get:

Extracting to "C:\Users\Fish\Desktop\"
Use Path: yes Overlay Files: no
Warning: skipping "Patch_PON_1.02.exe". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header

so i went back to gamersgate - there is no separate 1.02 patch file on gamersgate - and re-downloaded the whole game file (@ 1.3G) because it said it was version 1.02. when it installed, and when the game loaded, it said it was v1.01 !!!

can someone - pocus - please fix this i have wasted almost 2 Gig of my monthly 7 Gig on this exercise
[SIZE="1"]M. THERESA D.G.R. IMP. HU. BO. REG.
Justitia et Clementia[/size]

Panama Red
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 am

rogs:
That is the exact message I have gotten for ALL SIX downloads of the patch, so i do not think that it's just a "bad" download, but a bad patch.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:48 am

Guys,

I'm 99% sure this is a WinZip problem, not a patch problem. Here's why.

I downloaded the patch last night and it installed fine (over a Gamersgate installation). Downloaded it again just now and again it worked fine.

But I don't use WinZip. I just use the default extractor that comes with Windows.

So I downloaded and installed the latest WinZip. And got the same error you guys are reporting when I tried to open the patch.

So I uninstalled WinZip, tried the patch and it works again.

So no WinZip, no error.

Unless you guys have some compelling need for WinZip, you might try uninstalling it and just using the extractor tool that's built into Windows. Once WinZip is gone, you can just right-click on the zipped patch file and select "Extract All..." That will extract the patch to whatever location the zipped file is located. You can then run the patch.

I haven't used WinZip in many years. I use WinRAR for rar files and the Windows default for everything else. I've never had a problem like this.

sagji
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Queeg wrote:Guys,

I'm 99% sure this is a WinZip problem, not a patch problem. Here's why.

I downloaded the patch last night and it installed fine (over a Gamersgate installation). Downloaded it again just now and again it worked fine.

But I don't use WinZip. I just use the default extractor that comes with Windows.

So I downloaded and installed the latest WinZip. And got the same error you guys are reporting when I tried to open the patch.

So I uninstalled WinZip, tried the patch and it works again.

So no WinZip, no error.

Unless you guys have some compelling need for WinZip, you might try uninstalling it and just using the extractor tool that's built into Windows. Once WinZip is gone, you can just right-click on the zipped patch file and select "Extract All..." That will extract the patch to whatever location the zipped file is located. You can then run the patch.

I haven't used WinZip in many years. I use WinRAR for rar files and the Windows default for everything else. I've never had a problem like this.

Actually this proves it is a patch problem. If WinZip doesn't unzip it then it isn't a valid zip file. Also 7-Zip has the same problem.
It isn't necessary to uninstall WinZip, or 7-zip, if you right click on the zip, select open with..., and select explorer from the list, and then copy the exe somewhere else.

yellow ribbon

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 pm

sagji, i tried it on three different OS, with four different programs and did not run in any problem with the patch-folder itself, nor with the .exe

the fellows wrote that they downloaded it a couple of time, nor problem therein...

some 5 years ago i would had simply stated there might be a famous problem of "enhanced method" vs "portable compression"
but 7ZIP never made me any problems for years, thus i asked him to try it with a different program.

What Queeg described is know for three years, WINZIP is causing such problems, but event then 7ZIP should solve it.

I for myself do know this problems from total other occasions, backup files. WINZIP often is unable to extract/list iso-backup files when they were packed with .rar or 7ZIP...

but again, then 7ZIP should have been able to deal with it

alpha117
Conscript

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 pm

sagji wrote:Actually this proves it is a patch problem. If WinZip doesn't unzip it then it isn't a valid zip file. Also 7-Zip has the same problem.
It isn't necessary to uninstall WinZip, or 7-zip, if you right click on the zip, select open with..., and select explorer from the list, and then copy the exe somewhere else.

Thanks.......that worked for me

Return to “Pride of Nations”