Offworlder
General

Unilateral decisions and other issues....

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 pm

One of the things I can't understand is when a state takes a unilateral decision regarding affairs in your country, you can't do anything about it. I have played Prussia till '59 and grew increasingly pissed at the Austrian army lounging in Berlin because it was at war with Britain... go figure. So I broke off my alliance with Austria in order to kick them out. 2 turns later and Austria just unilaterally decided that it had the right to walk in Prussia and I couldn't do anything about it. Frankly I'm lost on this one...

Secondly, the alliance system at the begining of the game tends to destabilise the game. The alliance between Prussia and Austria and the one between Austria and Russia has far reaching effects. Usually Sardinia gets overrun by Austrian forces when the Crimean War breaks out. France is essentially on the defensive and the UK is nowhere to be found. (Incidentally when Austria wakes up it seems to go on a conquering spree of the minor states that surround it) Since France doesn't seem to be allied with either the UK or S-P, this leads to imbalances. Frankly I believe that the three states should be neutral towards each other, though with high recognition of each other that gets eroded over time. That would allow each major power to play its own game. (I haven't got there yet but I believe that come the time for German Unification, Russia would barge in on Prussia)

Regarding Germany, maybe it would be better if both Prussia and Austria are allied to the minor states, so that if one of them decides to act funny, the other will act as a counterweight.

The same should apply to the minor states in Italy, the bulk of which were Austrian satellites. If they are allied to the Austrians, it should prevent them from falling prey to the Austrians. Austria was all about preserving the balance of power and thus supported all the small states.

Don't take it as a rant but I'm just putting my ideas forward on these issues....

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:36 am

[quote="Offworlder"]Regarding Germany, maybe it would be better if both Prussia and Austria are allied to the minor states, so that if one of them decides to act funny, the other will act as a counterweight.[quote]

Yep, and there's an excellent historical reason why they should be that way at 1850 start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Confederation

There is a German Confederation event in the game. A message pops up, but what the practical game effect of it is I have no idea (does it do anything?).

This should probably be in the game too (mutual trade agreements with pretty much everyone in Germany except Austria): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein

The good news, is, all this would be very easy to mod, I would think.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE="1"](Click HERE for AAR)[/size][/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 am

deleted

Pocus

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:56 am

Austria should not be able to decide unilaterally she can have passage right into your territory. She can give you unilaterally passage right to her though, but this is not you are talking about.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Offworlder
General

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:16 pm

jimwinsor wrote:
Offworlder wrote:Regarding Germany, maybe it would be better if both Prussia and Austria are allied to the minor states, so that if one of them decides to act funny, the other will act as a counterweight.

Yep, and there's an excellent historical reason why they should be that way at 1850 start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Confederation

There is a German Confederation event in the game. A message pops up, but what the practical game effect of it is I have no idea (does it do anything?).

This should probably be in the game too (mutual trade agreements with pretty much everyone in Germany except Austria): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zollverein

The good news, is, all this would be very easy to mod, I would think.

That's my point exactly. I wouldn't want anything which alters the game dramatically. But if the big powers are constrained, hopefully the AI won't go on conquering sprees.

More troublesome in my opinion is the Austro-Russian alliance which tends to have a negative impact upon the game. It must be remembered that both nations were essentially loath to engage in armed conflict due to the fact that their armed forces had a policing role at home and other factors. Also just as much as the Austrians and Prussians were rivals in Germany and Poland, so were the Austrians and Russians in Poland and the Balkans. In fact, it should be pointed out that Austria double crossed the Russians in the Crimean war through armed neutrality. In essence the Holy Alliance came to an end due to the Crimean War. Though not completely precise wiki gives a good and succint account of the diplomatic turn about of Austria vis-a-vis Russia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War. Maybe it would be wise that the outbreak of the Crimean War event also breaks the Austian-Russian alliance, in essence not having Austria destroy S-P in the process while France starts off allied with S-P, with the latter breaking the alliance once it turns into Italy. I know this may be a tall order to ask the developers at this junctures, but my and others comments may serve as food for thought.

Pocus regarding the unilateral decision, please note that I continued a game from version f to g. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Pocus

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 am

It should not... I would be interested in a save when the Austrians can trespass in your territory without your authorization!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PhilThib

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am

The Crimean war event does indeed cancel the 'Holy Alliance'.... AUS and GER will no longer be allied with Russia if she goes to war by then....

Now, we would may be need some way that alliances have a limited duration (10 years may be?)

Offworlder
General

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:47 am

I started a new game under the latest patch in order to see how the AI reacts. Maybe mine was a freak game or something :mdr:

"The Crimean war event does indeed cancel the 'Holy Alliance'.... AUS and GER will no longer be allied with Russia if she goes to war by then....

Now, we would may be need some way that alliances have a limited duration (10 years may be?) "

That would shield S-P from Russia.

Return to “Pride of Nations”