Education

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Education.

Prusia, January, 1850: 100 %

Prusia, April, 1862: 74 %

Because it goes down constant?

Since it is possible to rise?

:wavey:
Sorprende al enemigo mediante la estrategia y el secreto, mediante lo inesperado y la rapidez de tus operaciones

Dulce bellum inexpertis

Cruzeiro
Private

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Educational System will appear in your tech trees eventually

picaron

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Cruzeiro wrote:Educational System will appear in your tech trees eventually

Thank you, but it is not it, is because it goes down constant :( ?

Sorprende al enemigo mediante la estrategia y el secreto, mediante lo inesperado y la rapidez de tus operaciones

Dulce bellum inexpertis

Cruzeiro
Private

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:29 pm

after educational system is researched you gain 3 options as decrees. they increase literacy directly. and: you get access to "finance universities" via regional decision. Can be played onto one province each time. And literacy will increase in that province afterwards.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:12 pm

It has no meaning anyway.
Decrease seems to stop at 60%.
What really helps in the game is funding your inventions.
Muzzleloader as example is a must. imho
Once population rise is over 1,7 in one of your cities education goes inevitably down. Dont care much about that, it is not understandable, it is as it is and has no meaning or effect afaik.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Alas! You are just trying to behave in an ethical way to improve your country and you can't understand why it does not respond to your efforts. Did Prussia view the American Civil War? t

Cruzeiro
Private

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

It has no meaning anyway.
Decrease seems to stop at 60%.
What really helps in the game is funding your inventions.
Muzzleloader as example is a must. imho
Once population rise is over 1,7 in one of your cities education goes inevitably down. Dont care much about that, it is not understandable, it is as it is and has no meaning or effect afaik.

this is not completely correct. as "financing universities" can be authorized more and more times (just like your public building projects) at some point you can fund enough provinces to keep literacy constant and slowly raise it in average. Mine is currently around 67 % in 1880 while I can finance universities in 6 provinces at the same time. And I can probably finance even more universities in the upcoming years.

But he´s right in tech funding. It improves your tech rating much faster. In the 70s I always funded at least 15 techs and in the 80s I fund all the ones available. Causes additional costs of state cash (2 or 3k maybe). I believe the technology system was not meant to work like this. Guess, it will be modified sooner or later.

Eoghammer
Sergeant

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:48 pm

The first problem i see is that it must be impossible to reach 100% in education...
During this period, education wasn't such a priority as in most country, you start with the right to make work childrens ... (then you gain the right to abolish the children work)...
The second problem is what means education? is it limited to a first step before university (college in the british and american system)...

The third problem may explain the decrease ... the value represent the knowledge penetration so when you start to discover some new sciences, the KP decrease until the news is understand by the people... but then it can't be named education...

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Cruzeiro, if you have a that far advanced game 1880... tell us how does your landscape in europe look like?
Are there still minor countries - Bel, NL, SWE, S-P in existance or all still occupied by some rivals?
How do you go along with your generals? Do they still die that fast?
Do you have enough replacements?
How often do you have CTDs of some or other kind?
Somewhere else I read you are playing totally Vanilla, therefor that experience could be valuable for many players.

Cruzeiro
Private

Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:20 pm

I´m in 1882 now. But I´ll restart as soon as I get the feeling that most major bugs and glitches are taken care of.

There are some strange tendancies while looking at my current map. I´ll give a few examples:

1.) Bug related to the rebellion system:
Austria is allied to Russia. I´ve reported a problem to Phil concerning recapturing rebellious provinces. If such a province is freed control does not go back to the original owner. It looks as if whoever recaptures that province keeps it. So in my game Austrian forces were faster than Russian ones at several places which made them owner of several strange regions. For example, Austria has possessions in the Baltic region and in the Ukrainian areas which cannot be possible under normal circumstances. Phil already assured me that this will be taken care of.

2.)Other nations:
I don´t have any problems with German minors as - at some point - I simply used the Force Unification command since there was no other possibility to trigger it. Belgium and the Netherlands however are as aggressive as ever. Often declaring war on Germany and France without any chance to win. I like the Netherlands as an opponent though because you can squeeze some colonies like Paramaribo (sugar!) as war gains out of them ;)
Sweden has been occupied by Russia almost since the beginning of my game. I´ve never seen a peace treaty. Same for S-P: they were occupied by the French almost from the beginning. I also used Force Event for Italy since there was no other possibility to create unification as well. However, they are eventually at war with Austria and cannot defend against them.
Another strange observation: The CSA split from the USA and managed to negotiate a peace treaty afterwards. So the divided house did never reunite. At least not yet.

3.) Generals: They still die often. But most times you get replacements immediately, although they´re usually not as good as the former generals (3 stars are usually replaced by 2 stars)

4.) Stability: 1.01g + hotfix has made good progress. I rarely face a CTD now. And when that happens it´s usually a memory leak related issue after 30 - 45 minutes of gameplay. Can easily be avoided by restarting the game from time to time. In general it´s very stable compared to the beginning.

5.) Diplomatic problems: I still have nasty problems concerning diplomatic options. Sometimes they are established but can NEVER be cancelled afterwards (although ingame message confirms you - mutual supply and military access) and sometimes you are notified about a new defensive alliance via ingame message but it never appears in your diplomatic window. There is also a problem with "Partly mobilization" as military decree. It can be used EVERY turn which cannot be meant like that. It seems some cooldown time is missing. The consequence is: all major powers have relations of -100 which favors even more declarations of war.

6.) Technology:

It turned out that the effects of funding are limited. Although I fund all technologies at the same time they never make more progress than 1% per round. And literacy started decreasing again. Financing universities in 6 or more provinces is not able to compensate population growth and decay. I´m at 63 % now. In the 80s technological progress becomes very problematic.

Vanilla? I´ve heard of it, but I don´t think I´ve ever used that before. Isn´t that a mod?

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Thank you for answering.
So you simply played along, when I said to myself, now it is so weired politically I give it a new try.
When I (Prussia) had Belgium occupied and Austria S-P. There is simply no reason, that rewards the winner to restore independence to former foes.

Vanilla describes an unmodded original version of a game or the offically released version of the game.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Ah - to your Point 1)
I use that rebellion provinces to simply take them for not having to declare war to a to be colony. And I guess that is very much wad. Mombasa and Dar es salam are such provinces that become rebellious against Oman -10Soi
very early ingame. Whenever I have a positiv colonial score against one of those I take them.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 pm

What is force unification command? When can you trigger it? And does that mean that the scripted german unification did not work out for you?
And how can you even trigger it for a country that is not yours (S-P) and is even under french control?

Cruzeiro
Private

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Concerning those rebels. Yes, in colonial areas it makes sense. But not in core areas of major European powers. It looks somehow wrong that Austrian forces occupy the baltic regions without having fought the Russians before.

Regarding Unification Command: I meant the console command. There was no other possibility to trigger the Northern German Confederation since several war events were bugged and province ownership did not change as intended.
It does not matter which nation you play. You can type in any unification command into the console for any nation. As the French had occupied SP for around 20 years I decided to enter the Italian Unification command, too (for testing reasons). Surprisingly the French accepted peace with Italia almost immediately after their unification.

Luckily, the rest of the game was playable without any further manipulation as I´m not a friend of any cheat code.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:03 am

That could mean, that I am able to make my 1858 game sensible again.
So what do I typ where? I have no idea what that means - console command.
Where can I read or find out about that?

Cruzeiro
Private

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:27 am

They can be found in the event folder. But it takes some time to find them ("German Unification Events" and "Italian Unification Events" opened with editor).

Just open the console via ö or ä button (not sure which one of both it was) and type in:

ForceEvent evt_nam_PRU_NorthGermanConfederation1867 and/or
ForceEvent evt_nam_PIE_ItalianUnity1870. This does not happen immediately, but next turn both events take place. The console should confirm your code by repeating it. Then it worked. If it says "Unknown Command" there was something wrong. Btw, copy-paste works, so you dont´t have to type in every single letter.

I don´t know if the minimum dates are overrun by the commands as I used them quite late when it became obvious that they won´t trigger themselves anymore. You´ll just have to give it a try.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Was the Italian Unity really that late, I thought it was in the early 60, def. before the german one, after Solferino 1859? But I never went in that issue deep enough.
Nice is that the historical knowledge improves too, doing this kind of games. Thx for Info, but now I have do decide either to let Italia be Austro-Hungarian still a while, or to unite it a bit early. But to have the choice is nice. For my Prussia I have at last decided to use the WAD. One may not be able to build colonies, so one can still do a lot and leave some footprints on the worldmap by using the possibilities that show up by chance.
And with the 21 diplomat alteration new wars are likely not to erupt. So I will not have the chance to have Dutch colonies and sort of this.
Do you know why sometimes it is possible to build structures in foreign land and most times not. In friendly it works mosttimes, in neutral most times not, in -relation land nothing goes. Its like a very costly lotterie, but what else to do with all the money one has, invest - risk - and loose in that the game is very real.
Would you mind if I use your experience post to start a thread, where other long time players may tell how their world looks like after many years of game play, since here most players will oversee that post?

Cruzeiro
Private

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm

In fact, there are several unification events (including unhistorical ones) which can be "forced". I guess it does not matter which one you choose. I simply took the last one from that long Italian list and it seemed to work.

btw, forcing Northern German Confederation does not give you extended colonial options. After forming NGF you get access to them in 1870 by occupying Alsace and Lorraine which triggers the German Empire Event. So, I did not have to do much colonizing business until then. Concerning this I kept playing WAD.

Which territories do you exactly mean? Probably the non-colonial areas?
If I remember correctly someone stated that it is WAD that basing upon relations foreign investments are accepted or rejected by the targetted nation.

I´ve made the experience that investing into foreign territories does not offer much gain in the long run. First, it´s very unreliable since many of my foreign production sites tended to be shut down or be conquered during wars and strikes. Secondly, as all production sites have 3 levels, all of them become obsolete after having researched level 2. Your production capacities will already "explode" in level 2 if you manage to replace all former structures with the newer ones within your borders. You can neither delete nor upgrade foreign production sites. I guess that will be changed sooner or later via patch, too. But for now, you´ll leave them behind after some time because they are unreliable and stay on a low production level.

Of course, feel free to use any information. I´m glad if I can help. Btw, my game has finished in the midst of 1883. It looks as if Great Britain was not able to catch up to me. But I´ll continue because I´m curious to see the first tanks and airplanes which should be available in the 90s or after 1900 ;)

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:50 pm

I take Dar es salam, Mombasa, The island there with the 2 opium fields, then later Duala, explore the surrounding area, missionize and do what I can to leave footprints in "German-african" soil, whereever I have a positiv SOI and there is a town and maybe a rebellion ( For owning the land and not only occupying it). I build, what I can build, depot, coaling station, collecting point, pre industriell fort, garrison and so on. After a while it is capable maintaining even fullsize colonial troopbodies, Arty and so on.
So pretty soon I have the first german population parts, 35 % colonial interest and some needed exotic fruits, opium, dye.
It workes like a colony, but I will not get the colonal points from that venture.
Ok, not historical, but possible and whatelse to do if not that?

Cruzeiro
Private

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah, I guess it makes sense to do any possible colonial business until extended options show up after German unification. Creating the basis for further colonial development. And if you´re lucky like me you´ll even get the first overseas areas via crisis. In my case, Angola and later Mosambik from the Portuguese.

Czert
Sergeant

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Is problem with education fixed in latest patch ? With regions which grow rate is faster than "planed school build program" ?

Cruzeiro
Private

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:14 pm

As far as I could observe until now there has not been any change yet.

Schattensand
Lieutenant

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Yes, but the game is unbalanced now. The more I do the less AI does.
I took the overall lead over Britain 1860, only Austria is somehow keeping up in military might, Russia, France, England are all below 40% of mine.
AI is building railroads, but it does not build up montan industry, wood, coal, iron and it does not build army, so it does not use its possibilities.
To teach AI some fighting seems somehow difficult, to teach it commerce and colonisation must be impossible right now. My state money is at 50000 now, that should be capped too, somehow, by funding all technologies. I have achieved some colonial goals by owning Duala, Daressalam, so I get 500 VP every turn and the game will be won by 1865.
No more wild wars at all right from the start and the scripted ones ended by forced scripted treaty after 1 side has won this or that key point would be what I like to see. So the AI and the player will no more be able to exploit a country completly and indefinetly.
And I like to have a begin at 1870 as option.
For german players that would be great and still a long, long way to come to an end.
They were able to finnish all CTDs in very short time, lets see what more will develop down the patches.

Generalisimo

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 pm

picaron wrote:Education.

Prusia, January, 1850: 100 %

Prusia, April, 1862: 74 %

Because it goes down constant?

Since it is possible to rise?

The problem is related to the Faction Attributes... currently the values are too low, so, that makes almost all regions go down a bit.
We are thinking about a way to properly solve this...

Anyway, having 100% education in 1850 is a bit weird... so, it is normal that the value goes down to "normal" values. :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Return to “Pride of Nations”