OneArmedMexican
General

Peace treaties - getting a province

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:18 pm

In my current game Belgium forged a casus belli against me (Prussia). I answered by declaring war on them, destroyed their army, captured their fleet and occupied the whole country. Result: a war score of 91 points.

I was sure I could get Luxembourg (on which Prussia has a claim due to the German minority) in a peace settlement. But to my surprise that would require a war score of 218! Is it even possible to get such a high war score against a small country like Belgium?

[ATTACH]15168[/ATTACH]

If I click on Luxembourg in the top of the screenshot all that happens is that the war score on the clock turns -127 and the red "ok" button disappears preventing me from sending my demands.

Am I doing something wrong?

It seems to me that this might be a balance issue. If a country is completely subdued shouldn't it at least agree to sensible claims?

Also, the balance between different demands in a peace treaty might be off: It would cost me only 7 points in war score to demand 98% of Belgium's wealth over the next 19 years in reparations. :blink:

I am not sure if this is a bug or an example of me failing to grasp a game concept. Any help would be appreciated. :)

----------------------------

One final question: what is keeping me from occupying Belgium indefinitively? The revolt risk is fairly low and the industrial sites would be worth having.
Attachments
PON1.jpg

Thrall
Civilian

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm playing as Prussia and have questions regarding unification. I've been using my unification decisions (primarily on Holstein), but they seem to have diminishing returns. Do I just need to keep going for years to hit 100% loyalty?

I invaded Saxony, captured 50k men, and have been there for a decent number of turns. I've so far gained 37 points in war score. I need 250 to claim the region in peace. Do I just have to wait years and years? By holding the region I am getting a slight WS income, but it is a trickle. I've played unification on Sachsen a few times and now have 71% loyalty - does loyalty factor into this equation in any way? thanks

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 am

Some good questions.

That warscore for that much reparations looks .. very odd. Then again, maybe it's value is calculated as the actual hard number instead of the percentage of the country in question's income. So Belgium's 98% would be quite small compared to Britain 98%. :w00t:

Still, I'd hope reparations had some minimum values at certain percentages.

von Sachsen
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:47 am

While on the subject, is it at all possible to make white peaces without really any fighting? As the US I went to war over Samoa and so far the only thing that has happened in about 2 years blockade of Hamburg and some very ineffective Prussian raiders. I have sent multiple peace treaties but none have even been responded to.
EDIT: Sorry but another thing about peace treaties, France and S-P went to war and now all of S-P except La Spezia and Sardinia is occuppied and has been for some months, but no peace. What's up with that?

beuckelssen

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 am

von Sachsen wrote:EDIT: Sorry but another thing about peace treaties, France and S-P went to war and now all of S-P except La Spezia and Sardinia is occuppied and has been for some months, but no peace. What's up with that?

Yes something seems to be wrong with the peace treaties. I´ve seen Russia occupying Moldavia during a complete year and that war never ends. :blink:

At the same time, the Belgium AI felt a little cocky and declared war to France. The result is that France had the control of all the Belgium provinces during the last six months and again there is no peace sign.

All this behaviors seems wrong to me. A country can´t occupy other during a whole year and still no sign any kind of peace. This needs to be fixed.

von Sachsen
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Is there any way to use the console to bring these wars to a close? '?' says that there is an option for "diplomatic entries" but I couldn't get it to work.

marcusjm
Colonel

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:31 pm

I am more surprised that Belgium thought they could win such a war. Does not AI calculate forces/alliances before doing something stupid like that?

Aragos

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

first, forget everything you know from playing other games (Victoria, Civilization, et al).

PON doesn't reward aggressive annexation and conquest. It just doesn't. The game won't come to the peace table two days after you occupy the last province.

To get Luxemborg, you are going to have to occupy it for a while. Meaning a year or two. The -127 (IIRC) is telling you that you still lack 127 WS to ask for Lux.

beuckelssen

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:27 pm

marcusjm wrote:I am more surprised that Belgium thought they could win such a war. Does not AI calculate forces/alliances before doing something stupid like that?

If you liked that you are gonna love this...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Good luck S-P!! :bonk:

cobraII
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:34 pm

In my game I saw belgium declare war on france they took metz, and the two regions west of their top region, and france sued for peace. The entire time this war was happening France had a 1888 power army in Marseilles
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Pocus

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 pm

AI in the current version is too bold yes, plus the fact most of the diplomatic biases were not there, so this explain wars against too powerful countries for example, although I'm quite surprised that SP declared war to GBR, this should never happen.

Beuckelssen, if you have the save around, I would like to check this DOW, this seems suspicious.

The wealth you can get from reparations (say 98%) is not 98% of the national wealth, but 98% of the maximum war reparations that you could get, which is around 20% of the estimated income... :)

Gaining enough WS from a small country to get one of their core region is extremely rare. Too rare? Just check history. Belgium never ceded a region in this era, same for Saxony... There was special cases, like the NGF or German Unification or Risorgimento, but they are special... forget about gaining new national regions, most of the time. I'll in any case double check the code, perhaps there is a miss.

Last, about Unification, you don't need to reach 100% loyalty, but between 60 and 80% I believe, PhilThib will have to precise the correct value, this is not exactly my turf.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:58 pm

You can still get some specific regions in a peace treaty that your country has claims to, though, correct?

For instance, when you turn on the 'Owned & Claimed' filter, on the right side of the mini-map, it'll show your home regions in a solid color and your claimed ones in stripes. You can demand the striped ones in a peace treaty as your own, right? Because they have some of your own national population there and such?

beuckelssen

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Pocus wrote:AI in the current version is too bold yes, plus the fact most of the diplomatic biases were not there, so this explain wars against too powerful countries for example, although I'm quite surprised that SP declared war to GBR, this should never happen.

Beuckelssen, if you have the save around, I would like to check this DOW, this seems suspicious.

Files already attached. I´m glad to help. :)

This was the second war declaration for the brave men of S-P. They were already at war with Tuscany. I don´t know if it´s related but S-P in my game has a really low amount of prestige; only 64 points (perhaps de AI looks to gain prestige with the wars? :confused :)

But they dont care and continue to look for trouble. A couple of turns later they even create a casus belli with the Papal Estates. :D
Attachments
SPwarUK.rar
(937.59 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

Pocus

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:51 pm

NefariousKoel wrote:You can still get some specific regions in a peace treaty that your country has claims to, though, correct?

For instance, when you turn on the 'Owned & Claimed' filter, on the right side of the mini-map, it'll show your home regions in a solid color and your claimed ones in stripes. You can demand the striped ones in a peace treaty as your own, right? Because they have some of your own national population there and such?

True, everything in stripe is claimable, and you should be able (with enough WS) to obtain them in peace. Although there is a bug for totally conqueror minors... normally the aim was to limit to a max of 100WS the cost of one of their region, if they are totally conquered, but the code line has a bug and don't activate ... This is why you can still see a cost of 217 WS for Luxenbourg if you occupy entirely Belgium.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:51 pm

beuckelssen wrote:Files already attached. I´m glad to help. :)

This was the second war declaration for the brave men of S-P. They were already at war with Tuscany. I don´t know if it´s related but S-P in my game has a really low amount of prestige; only 64 points (perhaps de AI looks to gain prestige with the wars? :confused :)

But they dont care and continue to look for trouble. A couple of turns later they even create a casus belli with the Papal Estates. :D

Ok, I understand the problem... Too bold indeed! I fixed the error for our first patch...

DooberGuy
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Actually, in my game S-P declared war on Austria, Great-Britain, France and the Papal States. Needless to say they are a bit beat up at the moment.

Return to “Pride of Nations”