PhilThib

The Demo

Fri May 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Hohenlohe

Fri May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

MAGNIFICIENT!! And it seems that I am the first here...

THX!!

greetings

Hohenlohe aka MikeFrank :coeurs: :wacko: :thumbsup:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

LUDOPEREZ
Major

Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Hohenlohe wrote:MAGNIFICIENT!! And it seems that I am the first here...

THX!!

greetings

Hohenlohe aka MikeFrank :coeurs: :wacko: :thumbsup:

I'm the second

Finally long awaited
:mdr:

caranorn

Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

downloading...
Marc aka Caran...

Rysto
Conscript

Fri May 27, 2011 5:57 pm

URRA'! :coeurs:

DON
Sergeant

Fri May 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Hurrah! You can always depend on AGEOD!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 27, 2011 6:03 pm

We seem to be anxious... :D
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boores
Private

Fri May 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Go Go Go :coeurs:

Sol Invictus

Fri May 27, 2011 6:44 pm

I knew you guys would come through for the long weekend. :thumbsup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Hohenlohe

Fri May 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Sol Invictus wrote:I knew you guys would come through for the long weekend. :thumbsup:

Only a weekend...?? Har, come on, I think it will be a very long week...*grin*

I hope, I do not forget some duties, social project(cooking), new girl-friend, some good ole mates and such else, not counting sleepless nights...

greetings

Hohenlohe... :wacko:

:edit: I need a much longer day...how about 48 hours per day...*grin*
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

Respenus

Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 pm

So you haven't forgotten about us? I am so sorry to had ever doubted you, O exulted ones! On the down side, I haven't finished the manual yet. Well, still plenty of time to learn on hand what to do and what not.

count taaffe
Sergeant

Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Gordon Bennett - great news!!!

Thanks a million, Phil!!! :coeurs: :coeurs:

hgilmer
Captain

I downloaded it and am playing through tutorial...

Fri May 27, 2011 7:49 pm

Forgive my ignorance but Arthur, Duke of Wellington? THE Arthur, Duke of Wellington? If him, he does look older which is accurate.

The game is very slick looking. This is going to be a gem in the pantheon. People who have played other titles will breeze right through most of the tutorial if they even do it at all.

Franciscus

Fri May 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Downloading, thanks ! :coeurs:

Now, how can I give you money ? :D

(meaning, where are the pre-orders ? ;) )

Ebbingford

Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

hgilmer wrote:Forgive my ignorance but Arthur, Duke of Wellington? THE Arthur, Duke of Wellington? If him, he does look older which is accurate.

The game is very slick looking. This is going to be a gem in the pantheon. People who have played other titles will breeze right through most of the tutorial if they even do it at all.

Yes, he was PM twice and was C-in-C of the British army until his death in 1852.

cato12
Private

Fri May 27, 2011 8:12 pm

nice! cant wait to try this out. :thumbsup:

Sol Invictus

Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Hohenlohe wrote:Only a weekend...?? Har, come on, I think it will be a very long week...*grin*

I hope, I do not forget some duties, social project(cooking), new girl-friend, some good ole mates and such else, not counting sleepless nights...

greetings

Hohenlohe... :wacko:

:edit: I need a much longer day...how about 48 hours per day...*grin*

Yeah, PON is my new girlfriend, best buddy, and my only duty. :coeurs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Many thanks for this. Appreciated :)

noddy102
Conscript

Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Downloading right now!!

So thrilled to see the news that it has been released today.

Phil, to you and your team, thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm

Sol Invictus wrote:Yeah, PON is my new girlfriend, best buddy, and my only duty. :coeurs:

You are a very lucky man! :D

:thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Fri May 27, 2011 10:51 pm

hgilmer wrote:Forgive my ignorance but Arthur, Duke of Wellington? THE Arthur, Duke of Wellington? If him, he does look older which is accurate.

This is him indeed...just 35 year older than at Waterloo ;)

Fusilier
Conscript

Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 pm

Looks good, pretty epic! One small thing, and I may be wrong, but shouldn't Leinster and Munster be the other way around?

PhilThib

Fri May 27, 2011 11:18 pm

I am no Irish expert, so if you believe we made a mistake, please check and confirm, so we can fix that... :D

Fusilier
Conscript

Fri May 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Having just checked, I am pretty sure that I am right. Dublin is in Leinster. Thanks for the quick response!

Flop
Major

Fri May 27, 2011 11:55 pm

I guess this probably can't be changed, but the Yellow River didn't actually flow into the Bohai Bay in 1850. It had a major shift in 1855, after which it did flow into the Bohai Bay, but prior to that it ended further south, in the Yellow Sea.

Franciscus

Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

First impressions:

Game looks very, very good; the interface is topnotch, the way of changing between the various game modes seems very good, the music is arousing, but...

Oh Noooo, not the "NCP map errors" again ! :bonk: :grr:

I understand that no one cares much about Portugal, now or back then, but please, such absurd mistakes ? (see pic)

- You lumped together the Alentejo and Algarve regions and named the whole southern part of Portugal as "Algarve".
- The above is minor, but then you invented a City named "Beira" in "Algarve", with a size of 5 when the capital, Lisbon is size 4. What is the error ? - There NEVER existed a city named Beira ANYWHERE in Portugal (it was/is a region to the north of Tejo); the largest city south of the Tejo was probably Evora, that was and is much smaller than Lisboa (size 2 maybe, even abstracting that it represents all the towns and cities south of the Tejo).
- And then more "minor" things - gramatical errors ("Vibho" instead of "Vinho", that means wine), and names in spanish ("Lana del Alentejo" - the correct is "Lã do Alentejo"). If you do not know the correct terms, a much better option would be to keep it all in english (as you did in some (not all ?) the names in Italy ??)

I understand that all this looks minor to a non Portuguese player, I admit it... BUT the map and the game are supposed to be historically correct. What garanties do I have that other countries / regions / languages that I do not know so well as my own country are not so badly treated as my own ? :(

Please, if possible, try to correct this. If you want help, you know who to ask...

What saddens me most is that when NCP was released, similar errors were noted and never were corrected. :( :cursing:

Sorry for a bit of ranting, but as the saying goes, "the devil is in the details"
Attachments
map.jpg

cato12
Private

Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 am

it really pains me to say this but i feel somewhat disappointed with the demo.

my previous experience of AGEOD games are ACW and NCP. the 1st thing that struck me was the map. it just looks way to cluttered with all those city+tile improvement icons, they also look to big in general, defo not easy on the eye.

the terrain also looks poor compared to the gorgeous ACW+NCP ones. it just looks really low res and lackin as much detail. i just loaded up NCP and the difference is night n day. then there the lag issue as well which is annoyin to say the least.

even the inaccessible parts of the map look bad, just plane brown land, not nice. im also gettin blocky textures sometime when i reload which includes most of europe covered in white. it defo doesnt have the pinache of the previous game maps.

when i click on a city and hover the mouse over its card the population class details appear in the bottom right of the screen yet when i move the mouse to see what they are they disappear? is there another way to see those detail?

i invited a friend to download the demo and the 1st thing he noticed was the tutorial text overlaps the text box makin it hard to read. i persevered, he didnt. :(

the gameplay features look top notch and i know theres a great game in here but it hasnt been a good experience considerin how much i was lookin forward to it.

could a lot of these issues be down to it bein a demo and things bein missin?

i hope so.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 S775 2.66ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB (OC'd to 3400ghz)
4GB DD3 RAM
GTZ 260 1GB Video card
creative xfi extreme sound card
win 7 64 bit

McNaughton

Sat May 28, 2011 2:30 am

cato12 wrote:it really pains me to say this but i feel somewhat disappointed with the demo.

my previous experience of AGEOD games are ACW and NCP. the 1st thing that struck me was the map. it just looks way to cluttered with all those city+tile improvement icons, they also look to big in general, defo not easy on the eye.

the terrain also looks poor compared to the gorgeous ACW+NCP ones. it just looks really low res and lackin as much detail. i just loaded up NCP and the difference is night n day. then there the lag issue as well which is annoyin to say the least.

even the inaccessible parts of the map look bad, just plane brown land, not nice. im also gettin blocky textures sometime when i reload which includes most of europe covered in white. it defo doesnt have the pinache of the previous game maps.

when i click on a city and hover the mouse over its card the population class details appear in the bottom right of the screen yet when i move the mouse to see what they are they disappear? is there another way to see those detail?

i invited a friend to download the demo and the 1st thing he noticed was the tutorial text overlaps the text box makin it hard to read. i persevered, he didnt. :(

the gameplay features look top notch and i know theres a great game in here but it hasnt been a good experience considerin how much i was lookin forward to it.

could a lot of these issues be down to it bein a demo and things bein missin?

i hope so.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 S775 2.66ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB (OC'd to 3400ghz)
4GB DD3 RAM
GTZ 260 1GB Video card
creative xfi extreme sound card
win 7 64 bit

Well, here is the logic behind the changes. No, AGEOD was not lazy or incompetent for the change in details, but logically they had to be done...

#1. The scale of the structures and cities is manifest. Without them being scaled up to the territory, imagine all of the complaints people will be posting about having difficulty getting their mouse in the proper spot to access a city! Any smaller and there will be real user interface issues. And no, any larger of a map would severely increase the already high scrolling issues people with older machines are facing.

#2. The terrain does not look poor. I think it looks pretty sharp. However, we are not debating over an absolute, but rather an opinion. I could write an opinion about the lack of the letter 'g' in your post, causing a significant number of red lines to appear in your post that distract me when I am posting my response, but honestly I can totally understand your meaning and do not care about the improper grammar. Pretty spelling does not mean that what has been written is any good, nor does bad spelling mean that there is nothing of value to be read.

Are the graphics really bad, or are you just comparing the map of PoN to AACW/NCP and having overly high and specific graphics standards? One thing about creating, is if you keep doing the same thing, even if it is popular, you will lose touch. That is why successful 'artists' are always changing, and do not become one hit wonders trying to repeat old glories by replicating the same things.

#3. The reasons for the change of terrain are many. For example, the older terrain style was individually more of a visual drain on graphics cards. With the massive increase of provinces in PoN from all other AGEOD games the old map styles would have caused completely unplayable games for those with older computers. Also, the older maps were much more difficult to update or change (mod) given that everything was part of a provincial graphic (cities, towns, railroads, rivers, etc.). Given that terrain will be changing constantly in Pride of Nations (remember, this is also a game covering 70 years, not 5 years of AACW, or a few months in NCP).

#4. Reporting text inconsistencies would really help, as AGEOD would like to repair it. It is quite possible that a specific monitor setting would throw off the text, or that the text box itself at a specific length was off center. In all honesty, as a serious strategy gamer I would not have let this throw me off.

#5. Unlike Victoria, you do not have to assign workers in groups to factories. When you are hovering over that factory you are getting a snapshot of the population of the city, as well as the percentage of those working. If you want a detailed view that stays click F6 and this sends you to you Regional Census which shows you the population of all of your provinces. You do not have to micromanage your population, so you really do not need this window up to do anything.

#6. Yes, your last part is the most important. Pride of Nations has game play features. The graphics are contemporary (no way are they outdated), but unfortunately are the brunt of your review, but the gem of Pride of Nations is what the game can do.

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Sat May 28, 2011 7:01 am

I like it very much and will definitely buy the game. You guys really outdid yourselves and this is going to be my all -time favorite AGEOD game with this engine. You really found the right level for the engine to strut its stuff, so to speak.

I do find that the screen scrolling is somewhat "sticky" in the parts of the map that are particularly dense with information. Maybe "sluggish to respond to mouse inputs" is a more descriptive term. I can live with it if it does not get worse as the game progresses.

Game turn processing was a bit of a surprise, coming in at close to two minutes per turn even in the demo's first few turns. I can only imagine what late game turns will be like when there will be even more going on and more units and resources to track. Hopefully this can be optimized a bit down the road.

caranorn

Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 am

Just went through three of the tutorials so far (even the military ones just so I don't miss anything new). So far I like very much what I see...

I have also noticed text outside its box. I will try and give you my screen resolution settings later today as I'm certain that's the cause...

Otherwise, I have neither slow map scrolling (I changed the mouse over setting before launching the first tutorial, I think the immediate setting might be some people's problem) nor lag (I assume at turn resolution)...

A slightly more important issue probably also related to screen resolution is that when I click on a unit element the information window partially overlaps the bottom right list of elements. So if I want to take a look at the first three elements in a unit I have to close the detail window every time and can't switch between elements by simply clicking on the next one...

So far I'm quite happy about having the demo, only thing better would be having the actual game :-D ...
Marc aka Caran...

Return to “Pride of Nations”