Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

20 Euro pour PoN?

C'est une blague, non? :blink:
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it"

Generalisimo

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 pm

"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Anguille

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

It has been confirmed indeed...yet it does sound like a joke. Such a huge game like PoN for only that amount? Can't be serious.

Franciscus

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 pm

:blink: :blink: :confused:

I do not understand, really. Specially comparing other simultaneous prices.
For instance, Victoria 2, the main competitor, also sold by Paradox, is out for many months now, and it's sold for 34,95 € at Gamersgate. 19,99€ is the price for yet another expansion to EUIII (Divine Wind). :bonk:
And what about other Ageod games ?? WW1 gold is sold at Ageod at 29,99€. RUS is currently at 39,99€ (that's double of what PoN will cost!!)

Unless a serious rearrangement of other game's prices is done or it will be very difficult not to cross the thin line between being a fair priced game and looking as a bargain-bin "cheapo" second-rate game.

IMHO the many years and efforts of Ageod developing this game, that should be their "tour-de-force", deserved a better support!

Let's hope for the best... :(

ashandresash
Captain

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I suppose it's a great move to make the game more popular. As customer and devoted to ageod games, it's awesome.

In fact, I'll be giving another copy like a gift to a friend of mine (I'm assuming there will be Gamersgate release, right?). I think it's fair, and a good way of supporting developers in the better way: making broader fanbase of AGE games.

wosung

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Yes, that'll make some aggressive pricing. To make AGE more popular? Because PoN is "only" turn-based?

It might have been warranted for Nap and ROP. But from scope, engine, research, not for PoN.

Let's hope the AGE engine has a future, one w/o RT.
Let's hope the two Phils can make a living out of it.

Regards

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:10 am

Or just maybe they are finally taking the hint from ITunes store ;) .

Having overblown pricing like eg. Matrixgames didn't do much good for this hobby.

Franciscus

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:17 am

As a customer I am all for reduced prices, of course. But the disturbing fact is that this is not a concerted policy by Paradox to drop all their prices. As long as PoN is sold at 20€ but other older games like Victoria 2 are way more expensive, I think that it can hurt the perception of the quality of PoN.

I can not remember another Paradox game that was sold at release time at this price... :bonk:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 am

I think it could be a good starting price (but the minimal one):
For an history game (i.e. could be seen as "not so fun"), many won't buy it for $40. And later if the game is sold for less, that will be an OLD "not so fun" game and too won't be sold.
For $20, I think it will sold more than twice than for $40, and many would see that it's a "so fun" game (if they play using 96dpi fonts...). And in the future, when the price will drop, it will continue being sold.
I hope for Ageod my theory is good..

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 am

Franciscus wrote:As a customer I am all for reduced prices, of course. But the disturbing fact is that this is not a concerted policy by Paradox to drop all their prices. As long as PoN is sold at 20€ but other older games like Victoria 2 are way more expensive, I think that it can hurt the perception of the quality of PoN.

I think "quality" should not be directly related to price although there is abstract relation. I guess Paradox and Civilization games have big modding community and that should have a result in overall quality. By some extent, increase in modding community should achive the quality in the long run. I hope more people join the ageod community with PoN.

vonRocko
Colonel

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Baris wrote:I think "quality" should not be directly related to price although there is abstract relation. I guess Paradox and Civilization games have big modding community and that should have a result in overall quality. By some extent, increase in modding community should achive the quality in the long run. I hope more people join the ageod community with PoN.

I certainly hope I don't need mods too make this a good game. I never could install them properly. But, knowing paradix, this is probably going too be the way it is.

Raidhaennor
Private

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm as surprised as anyone by the price, I'd be curious to know what was the thinking behind it.

Is it possible that the game is sold at this low price because there will be additionnals scenarios (on top of those already announced) sold as DLC later on ?

edit : I hate DLC when it's overpriced worthless cr*p, or when it was clearly taken out of the game - game still being sold at full price.

But quality content added to a game sold at such a bargain price, it might not be a bad idea ; this is just speculation on my part though.

vonRocko
Colonel

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Raidhaennor wrote:I'm as surprised as anyone by the price, I'd be curious to know what was the thinking behind it.

Is it possible that the game is sold at this low price because there will be additionnals scenarios (on top of those already announced) sold as DLC later on ?

edit : I hate DLC when it's overpriced worthless cr*p, or when it was clearly taken out of the game - game still being sold at full price.

But quality content added to game sold at a bargain price, it might not be a bad idea ; this is just speculation on my part though.

I think you got it! This will be a typical paradix release, buggy as hell, leaving it too mods and dlc to fix. The $20 price shows me this is how it is going to be. It will cost an extra $30-$50 to get the whole game working properly. So don't get too excited for the cheap price, you're just getting set up for the later gouge. IMHO

JackoWords
Private

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 pm

von Rocko;

However justified that may, or may not, be re: Paradox, it's definitely *not* been the case re: Ageod, who is developing this game. The fact that they've pushed release back yet again (argh!) testifies to that. ;)

I'd pay $40 if they let me beta it right now. :)

PhilThib

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Anyway, the price has been confirmed by Johan on Paradox forum, so the matter is closed, we'll see how it unfolds when the game is released.

In AGEOD's past deliveries, we have always done our best that our AGE engine games are released with the highest possible degree of completion. This does not mean our games are perfect, far from this of course ;) ... but we do the utmost to follow up and improve on them... and nobody was ever forced to pay for our patches :thumbsup:

Thread is now closed. In case you want to discuss Paradox pricing policy, I suggest you do it on Paradox Forum, it's irrelevant here :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”