Reverend Zombie
Sergeant

Map style?

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:38 pm

I much prefer the hand-drawn style of the Civil War map than what we see in the screenshots for PoN. The hand-drawn style better fits the period.

Why the more-realistic looking approach for the map in PoN?

bobbob
Corporal

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:52 pm

I think that the map we see is not the one we'll see on release. Looks like it needs some polishing. I personally like what i see so far. I do hope the round citys are changed, maybe have the edges blended so as to feel more natural. Thanks

McNaughton

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:19 pm

This map is much more easily modified than the other hand-drawn maps. Plus, you are allowed to do a lot of other visual things with a map as this than the older hand-drawn version. The main aspect of the game map is to provide the player with easy to access and understand information.
'Prettiness' (which is subjective) may be sacrificed for utility.

Gray_Lensman

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:36 pm

deleted

FritzKraut
Conscript

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:21 pm

i would say that really good strategy games tend to have really not so nice graphics :mdr:

i think the city and port icons have a retro amiga flair but im pretty sure that
can easily replaced.

looking forward to game release :w00t:

Njordr
Sergeant

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:56 am

McNaughton wrote:'Prettiness' (which is subjective) may be sacrificed for utility.

I totally agree with you. A game could be visually amazing but if it's difficult to use and/or to understand it would be a pretty sure fail.

Reverend Zombie
Sergeant

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:24 pm

FritzKraut wrote:i would say that really good strategy games tend to have really not so nice graphics :mdr:

My standard for comparison is AGEOD's own Civil War game, which was both an excellent game and had a beautiful map.

Reverend Zombie
Sergeant

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:FYI, It took me 18 painstaking months (3000+ manhours) to redraw and modify the hand-drawn Civil War maps *snip* Easy enough explanation?

I'm sure no one wants you to have to do that again.

Gray_Lensman wrote:You can have maps that look extremely pretty and take weeks/months to correct OR you can have maps that can be corrected in a manner of days if necessary.

Okay, so a hand-drawn Civil War style map is not an option for capturing a vintage 19th century look for these reasons.

Nevertheless, that does not necessarily rule out stylized depictions of terrain, as opposed to the realistic-looking terrain in the screenshots so far.

I know that my linked-to examples are hand-drawn. I include them to show what I mean by "vintage" and "stylized," so as to query:

within the strictures identified by Gray, could something not (have) be(en) done to make PoN's maps have more of that sort of vintage look?

McNaughton

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Reverend Zombie wrote:My standard for comparison is AGEOD's own Civil War game, which was both an excellent game and had a beautiful map.

However, was not flexible for modification or correction.

McNaughton

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Reverend Zombie wrote:I know that my linked-to examples are hand-drawn. I include them to show what I mean by "vintage" and "stylized," so as to query:

within the strictures identified by Gray, could something not (have) be(en) done to make PoN's maps have more of that sort of vintage look?

I am sure that something could have been done to do this, but, then you have to think, is this really a 'necessity' or rather a 'personal preference'?

Reverend Zombie
Sergeant

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

McNaughton wrote:I am sure that something could have been done to do this, but, then you have to think, is this really a 'necessity' or rather a 'personal preference'?

Sure. But given the devs' affinity for the period and their stated desire to put the players into that period via the game, I am curious to hear about the thinking behind the direction for the map style.

Maybe it will come up in a future dev diary, or maybe someone will pop in here with an answer, whether it be "are you *nuts*, the map does put you into the period!" or "we missed an opportunity here due to technical/financial constraints" or what have you.

Rafiki

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Ooooo, we are veeeery careful about calling people "nuts", especially if there's any chance of Pocus being within hearing distance.... :blink:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

nats
Conscript

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Oops yet another post that covers something Ive just said myself. Oh well Ill have to check previous posts before I comment from now on. Agree with all of the above by the way I much prefer the hand drawn style that alone sets the previous games well apart from other bog standard strategy games. Certainly the look of the present screens leave me cold.

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 pm

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, some will love the map and all the info it shows at the same time... others will not like it... we just can't please everyone. You have to remember that PON will be covering the entire world but will require much less "horse power" than many other games that do the same... so, at least recognize something. ;)

But, I will like to point out that what you are doing, posting the same opinion over and over again on every thread is "almost spam" (at least you tried to rephrase it instead of copying & pasting :D ). So, please, be carefull the next time... ;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

marcusjm
Colonel

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 am

Personally I think AGEOD.s limited resources is much better spent on game mechanics/ai and mp aspects. These are the areas where success and failure will be determined.

It still looks better than any other strategy game at this scale, certainly better than VIctoria 2 in my book.

I have waited for the better part of my life for a game like Pax Britannica on PC. I had hoped that Victoria was the answer but this looks more like it.

Might even do a fan page if this goes well ;) .

Just take a look at this nice shot:
http://www.gamestar.de/_misc/images/original.cfm?pk=2183490

How can anyone say this looks crap for a grand strategic title?

Micf2302
Private

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 am

No one said it ''looked like crap'' or not that I can remember. But some of us, are really drawn to the ''boardgame'' look of AGEOD games.

I can't say which ratio of AGEOD games buyers are like me. But I would think plenty are. I tryed to convince my gaming buddy (with which I used to play all my 1v1 strategy game, because he was the only one I wouldn't table easily all the time) never wanted to play any video game against me, even PBEM (which is what I tryed to get him into).

I just felt the whole fog of war aspect lacked from our ''boardgame'' experience. And Ageod are the only one that ever caught is interest and got him interested. To this day I still remember is first comment when I showed him BoA: ''Wow, this map is so amazing, it looks just like a boardgame map'' and then he sat beside me and listened (first time he even listened to me talk about a video game) to my while I explained the mechanics of BoA and how much more depth we could get by having the CPU do all that calculation and dice rolling for us.

That's the first time I ever got him into playing a CPU game. I don't play him anymore (living 5000KM apart has something to do with it). But the whole story goes to show that you DO sell products only because of the look of a game.

Anyways, this is just me (and I anticipate PoN for the game mechanics) BUT the map style of AGEOD's game really does it for me. It is something that COMPULSIVELY pushes me toward your games.

Just one comsumer's opinion, just so you know ;)
I like throwing money your way, and I like nice hand-drawn map much more than I dislike mistake on map :)

Franck

(this being said, with much information that is ''maybe'' bound to appear on the map as the game progress in PoN, maybe the ''computerised'' map is more usefull, I wouldn't know anything about that.)

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Micf2302 wrote:(this being said, with much information that is ''maybe'' bound to appear on the map as the game progress in PoN, maybe the ''computerised'' map is more usefull, I wouldn't know anything about that.)

That's one of the "problems" of this game... you need to show a LOOOOT of information on the "same board", from 1850 to 1920. :w00t:
Resources, Military Corps/Armies/Divisions, Industrial structures, Agricultural structures, Colonial structures, etc, etc, etc... everything must be there to show the player the information when he needs it. ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

alexander seil

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Generalisimo wrote:That's one of the "problems" of this game... you need to show a LOOOOT of information on the "same board", from 1850 to 1920. :w00t:
Resources, Military Corps/Armies/Divisions, Industrial structures, Agricultural structures, Colonial structures, etc, etc, etc... everything must be there to show the player the information when he needs it. ;)

Yes, but to achieve that, does the texture on the map have to look like the game came out in 1995? :w00t: It's painfully low-res. It actually looks fine zoomed out, but zoomed in is a disaster - at least on the screenshots (which are themselves low-res, of course).

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 pm

alexander seil wrote:Yes, but to achieve that, does the texture on the map have to look like the game came out in 1995? :w00t: It's painfully low-res. It actually looks fine zoomed out, but zoomed in is a disaster - at least on the screenshots (which are themselves low-res, of course).

That's because the game tries to keep the requirements as lower as posible... ;)
We can surelly increase the resolution of every region graphic but then you will leave out a lot of wargamers that have old PCs and have been buying all previous AGEOD games. ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

alexander seil

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Generalisimo wrote:That's because the game tries to keep the requirements as lower as posible... ;)
We can surelly increase the resolution of every region graphic but then you will leave out a lot of wargamers that have old PCs and have been buying all previous AGEOD games. ;)

If it's such a trivial thing to increase the resolution, why isn't it offered as an option?

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:55 pm

alexander seil wrote:If it's such a trivial thing to increase the resolution, why isn't it offered as an option?

Currently the game has 5741 images for the regions... plus 5741 thumbnails... that's 11482 images in total.
Be my guest and make 5741 hi-resolution images plus 5741 hi-resolution thumbnails for all these regions... ;) :D

Really, if we can later improve the resolution of the map, you can bet on that we will try to do it... but for the moment, that's not the top priority for us. ;)
Right now, the map works on a lot of different specs as it is and fulfills its job. :thumbsup:
Napoleon Bonaparte

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:21 am

No complaints about the map here. I love the look from the previous games, but the PoN screenies look pretty good too. It's all about the gameplay in the end anyway.

marcusjm
Colonel

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:07 am

I am not going to deny that the Civil War map looked better but if I am not mistaken this female artist left AGEOD for something else?

Anyway, one must also consider clutter and readability. Take the superb game Diplomacy for instance, almost no detail but it had the important parts figured out. It is also one of the best games covering this period(even if in a more abstract way).

Pocus

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 am

The female artist was Sandra yes. But the Rise of Prussia one is made by one of our freelance artist, and the style is close while being very good (ROP has my favored map style).

PON/VGN is made by another freelance artist. He went the 3D way because it was not realistic to ask him to paint by hand the world, ROP or WIA style. This is the same who did NCP graphics. The artist having done ROP also did WIA. Sandra did BOA1 & AACW.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

alexander seil

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Pocus wrote:The female artist was Sandra yes. But the Rise of Prussia one is made by one of our freelance artist, and the style is close while being very good (ROP has my favored map style).

PON/VGN is made by another freelance artist. He went the 3D way because it was not realistic to ask him to paint by hand the world, ROP or WIA style. This is the same who did NCP graphics. The artist having done ROP also did WIA. Sandra did BOA1 & AACW.

I don't have a problem with the style of the map. I just have a problem with the resolution. I have a feeling I'll be playing this game zoomed out all the time :w00t:

McNaughton

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:52 pm

alexander seil wrote:I don't have a problem with the style of the map. I just have a problem with the resolution. I have a feeling I'll be playing this game zoomed out all the time :w00t:

Having from seen the game as is, I can tell you that there is no visual issues that I have with the map zoomed in 100%. Things do not seem blotchy, or goofy. Screenshots are not really accurately representing the feel of the map, primarily because you cannot see all of the little active graphics (sailing ships, moving trains, lighthouse beacons, etc.).

marcusjm
Colonel

Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Who did the Revolution under Siege map? This map seems more like the older ones.

JackoWords
Private

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Looks like it was Gilles Pfeiffer, AKA 'The Dark Pepper':

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dark-Pepper/246490146705

...for the record, I prefer the older, more beautiful style of map, too. But that's just icing on the cake. :)

gpepper

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Yes it's me !
I did WIA, WW1 and WW1 gold, ROP and RUS !
Actually I am the artist who worked the most for Ageod !
[CENTER]. : G P E P P E R : .
[url]http://www.gillespfeiffer.com[/URL]
[url]http://www.frenchschoolofcg.com[/URL][/align]

JackoWords
Private

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Additionally, you are a sinister beverage? :)

Return to “Pride of Nations”