Private

Pride Of Nations?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 am

Has VG been renamed?

If yes, why choose such a stupid name?

If you dumbed down the name even further it would be Goo-Goo-Da-Da. :mdr:

richfed

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 am

Saw that, too, in a Paradox e-mail. As long as the game is good, I don't care what it is called. That's a marketing call.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

RELee
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

So I'm not the only one on the newsletter. Maybe it's the translator? ;)

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm

It is a purely marketing decision... from the Paradox forum:
Susana wrote:We believe it's a more approachable name from a sales perspective and we want to make sure we expand the existing gamer base for this game. The current fans who have known the name as "Vainglory" can take comfort in knowing this is a pure business decision made and the content will be exactly the same i.e high quality gameplay and class which you have come to expect from AGEOD titles.

Kind regards
Susana Meza

;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:12 pm

By the way, just in case you haven't seen the announcement...
Pride of Nations

Pride of Nations is a historical strategy game featuring a simultaneous turn-based engine, putting players at the head of the world’s Great Powers between 1850 and 1920. Eight nations are playable in single-player and multiplayer – USA, Great Britain, Germany, France, Japan, Russia, Austria-Hungary and Italy. Pride of Nations is developed by AGEOD set for release 2011.
Napoleon Bonaparte

vonRocko
Colonel

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Ageod sold their soul to paradix. Now they can't even name their own games! :mdr: LMFAO

Generalisimo

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:51 pm

vonRocko wrote:Ageod sold their soul to paradix. Now they can't even name their own games! :mdr: LMFAO

Well, if it is a marketing decision, to sell more copies of VGN/PON, then, it is good for AGEOD. ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:19 pm

richfed wrote:Saw that, too, in a Paradox e-mail. As long as the game is good, I don't care what it is called. That's a marketing call.

:thumbsup:

I will think seriously and probably ultimately buy any game designed by ageod folks, regardless of whatever big company "owns" them. Compared to the other paradox stuff I own, while I enjoy them, nothing comes close to the enjoyment wrought by ageod and their games :cool:

Franciscus

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Probably they are trying to expand the consumer base to include facebooked teenagers who wouldn't understand the word "vainglory"... :mdr: :bonk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mariandavid
Sergeant

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:29 pm

It is in fact a better title; 'vainglory of nations' is a little clumsy in English - the 'proper' wording would be " vain attempt at national glory" which is even more clumsy. 'Vain' is also a word now more commonly understood in North America to refer to minor movie actors and arrogant politicians. Mind you like the others I could not care less what the title is as long as it is a good game!

Krasny
Private

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Vainglory is such a wonderfully redolent 19th Century world. It's also a word that grabs the eye.

Pride is such a prosaic, blandly positive word.

Ageod sold their soul to paradix. Now they can't even name their own games! LMFAO

Paradix! :mdr:

Clearly the marketing/PR department at Paradox don't know their arses from their elbows when it comes to marketing niche video games. Or anything else for that matter.

This reminds me of the hilarious decision of Royal Mail to rename themselves "Consignia."

Greybriar
Corporal

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:45 pm

At least it's not Semper Fi 2. ;)
Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. --Calvin Coolidge

RELee
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Generalisimo wrote:It is a purely marketing decision...

That was my next guess. ;)

Either way. Call it what you will. It's a game just the same.

ham
Private

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Where is "Pride of AGEOD"?

Franciscus

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Time to change some sub-forum names and site banners... :D :neener:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord Irvine
Conscript

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

In fairness Vainglory is an obscure word. Sometimes I can go an entire day without using it once. :blink:

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Paradox Marketing suit: "Yeah, and since the name change to Pride of Nations was such a good move, we can change the names of the older titles to Napoleon's Many Battles, America when it was Really Young, Lifting up of Prussia and Ageod's Americans Being Naughty"

:bonk:

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Slick Wilhelm wrote:Paradox Marketing suit: "Yeah, and since the name change to Pride of Nations was such a good move, we can change the names of the older titles to Napoleon's Many Battles, America when it was Really Young, Lifting up of Prussia and Ageod's Americans Being Naughty"

:bonk:

Maybe not that last one. It sounds like something that is illegal to send through the mail (think Schenck vs. US).

Krasny
Private

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:54 pm

Ageod's Americans Being Naughty

I would buy that one! :mdr:

Moff Jerjerrod
Sergeant

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:49 am

What a shame, Paradix is so clueless. I'll still buy the game though because I support AGEOD and am proud of that! :thumbsup:

When I get my copy I intend to use paintshop pro to erase Pride of Nations from the opening screen and replace it with Vainglory of Nations.

I agree with the other posters who preferred Vainglory to Pride.

Krasny
Private

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:46 am

Paradox isn't clueless, but the idiots running the business are.

OK, they're making substantial short term profits, despite their last two games being pants, due to a large forgiving fan base.

They probably spent several brainstorming sessions coming up with Pride.

Imagine if instead of hiring business school also rans, they hired programmers, their games would be less like early betas on release.

Franciscus

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:40 pm

At least let's hope this is the only change imposed by Paradox on Vainglory's development...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Slick Wilhelm
Corporal

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:49 pm

All kidding aside, I'm disappointed that the name is being changed. Vainglory may be an obscure word, but it is the perfect word to describe the tragic folly of the empire building & arms race that led to that most pointless of all wars, WWI.

I will of course purchase the game, because I want to support Ageod. But I wouldn't be surprised if everyone still refers to it as "Vainglory of Nations". I know I will. The new "Pride of Nations" name is dumb and misrepresents what the game(and the period) is about.

Hohenlohe

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

I am a little bit disappointed too, but I will nevertheless support AGEOD by buying "Vainglory of Nations"(I love that name instead) as soon it will be released. Even any other game they will release with an AGE-Engine will be bought by me as long as I was able to finance the buy because I am a poor retiree...*sigh* But in my personal experience since my first computer anno 1991 and my first gameplay experience in March 1991 I love and prefer three companies until now: first SSI(sadly that they never exists anymore),then Matrixgames and above all AGEOD. AGEOD fullfilled me some dreams about good strategy games.The only little disappointment was World War One, but this has now changed.
Sadly to say that turn-based games are now a more niche market equivalent to former days but they offer mostly a relative good AI as an opponent gives some challenge for singleplay and offer even a good possibility for a good PBEM gameplay like WITP and AACW and such other games I like.

I am very confident and satisfied with the support by the AGEOD team and that I can even influence some features with my suggestions makes me very happy and proud about AGEOD. So I will never stop to support AGEOD as good I can.
Please good fellows from AGEOD never stop to do your best and you will make us happy. Thank you all for your good work. :thumbsup:

heartly greetings

Hohenlohe, who loves to be an AGEOD fan... :coeurs: :thumbsup:
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

kosmoface
Corporal

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:40 am

As somebody working in marketing I don't understand this decision.

Pride of Nations... you hear it, you forget it. You think somebody picks this up because the title is interesting? It just sounds like every other forgotten game in the dusty bin over there. This makes it really niche from the get go.

On the other hand:

Vainglory of Nations - what? <- This is the reaction you want.

A more obvious marketing decision would be something with WW1 in the title. THAT would sell more copies, that I would understand. This as it is, is a little tinkering with the original title and will do nothing to get more attention. It's too inbetween. If you don't like Vainglory of Nations - Pride of Nations isn't much better.

Whatever. I like Paradox and what the do very much, but that doesn't mean that they have a competent marketing office. Just my opinion, never mind.

Hobbes

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Well said Kosmoface!

Otherwise 'Rage of Empires' might do the trick :)

wosung

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Vainglory of Nations sounds more unique to me than Pride of Nations. But well, that’s just me. And it’s just a name.

What I find more interesting is the way this renaming happend:

A general Paradox announcement for Gamescon 2010.
But no renaming on Ageod’s own webside.
And no word from the two Phils about it. (Do they even know?)

It’s holiday time in France. Let’s hope this is the reason for their silence and it’s not a communication breakdown or some other fubar thing, so often happening when companies have been merged.

Regards

kosmoface
Corporal

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Hobbes wrote:Well said Kosmoface!

Otherwise 'Rage of Empires' might do the trick :)

"Rage of Empires" would certainly be better. You need something bold (-> 'Rage of Empires'), something strange (->'Vainglory of Nations') or something people can relate to/something everbody knows what it is about from hearing the title (->'Empires - The Road to WW1' or somesuch), if you want to be seen. What you want is immediate attention.

Pride of Nations. What does it say to you? Do want to know what it is about?

I will buy it anyway and I hope the games success won't be hampered by this forgettable title.

Hobbes

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:03 pm

kosmoface wrote:"Rage of Empires" would certainly be better. You need something bold (-> 'Rage of Empires'), something strange (->'Vainglory of Nations') or something people can relate to (->'Empires - The Road to WW1' or somesuch), if you want to be seen.

Well I was really just joking about jumping on the Age of Empires name :)

kosmoface
Corporal

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Hobbes wrote:Well I was really just joking about jumping on the Age of Empires name :)

Doesn't matter. That's not uncommon in marketing. ;)

Return to “Pride of Nations”