tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:30 pm

A: I prefer to judge a game by its whole content, not just a map i.e. WWI, sorry Luca. t :p apy:

McNaughton

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 pm

I believe that this thread is becoming devisive. Also, does not seem to be positively natured either. Best to end the back and forward discussions on quality of either released or un-released games.

Thjan
Civilian

Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm sorry to say that somehow but I'll pass on Vainglory for sure as long as the map is in such a poor resolution. Seriously, this looks ugly like hell compared to AACW for example.

Talking about which game will crush who is a bit stupid, they have different focuses and both will be great.

Rafiki

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Only time will tell how either game turns out, but I have every belief that there is room in the world for two games dealing with the Victorian era :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Rafiki wrote:Only time will tell how either game turns out, but I have every belief that there is room in the world for two games dealing with the Victorian era :)

I completelly agree... and we, wargamers, should support both so we have more options to choose from! :thumbsup: :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

McNaughton

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Thjan wrote:I'm sorry to say that somehow but I'll pass on Vainglory for sure as long as the map is in such a poor resolution. Seriously, this looks ugly like hell compared to AACW for example.

Talking about which game will crush who is a bit stupid, they have different focuses and both will be great.

Some of the best strategy games I have played are the most ugliest, some of the worst games are the prettiest. Also, looking at a static screenshot is a lot different than seeing the game in full motion and animation.

Adlertag

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Generalisimo wrote:I completelly agree... and we, wargamers, should support both so we have more options to choose from! :thumbsup: :D

Exactly, but if there is a room to play or support both games, many players won't be able to buy both so in the end, having 2 nearly similar games on the same "niche" will obviously lower their own sale potential. And knowing the ever critical financial health of small game companies, the challenge to make an acclaimed game is even increased...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Generalisimo

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Adlertag wrote:Exactly, but if there is a room to play or support both games, many players won't be able to buy both so in the end, having 2 nearly similar games on the same "niche" will obviously lower their own sale potential. And knowing the ever critical financial health of small game companies, the challenge to make an acclaimed game is even increased...

I don't think so, because even from the definition of each game, they are different. One is TURN BASED and the other one is REAL TIME... that's a HUGE difference on its own. ;)
There are a LOT of people that just hate real time strategy games... and exactly the same happens in the other side. ;)
Although they cover the same period, they are different games from the very foundations of them... its like comparing Pax Romana and Rome Total War and say "I can only play one of them because both are about Rome"... :blink: ;) :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

Adlertag

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Generalisimo wrote:I don't think so, because even from the definition of each game, they are different. One is TURN BASED and the other one is REAL TIME... that's a HUGE difference on its own. ;)
There are a LOT of people that just hate real time strategy games... and exactly the same happens in the other side. ;)
Although they cover the same period, they are different games from the very foundations of them... its like comparing Pax Romana and Rome Total War and say "I can only play one of them because both are about Rome"... :blink: ;) :D

And there is also a huge contingent of players who will accomodate themselves with a good game even if the gameplay system (TBS or RT) is at the opposite of their intimate preference and sometimes because the market has only one such game to offer.
I don't think the majority of wargamers won't forbid themselves to buy a good game even if based on the alternative system (at least for me, this won't prevent me to buy such game).
So if both "same-context" games are good and attractive, a logical dispersal of sales will occur because you won't prevent a competition between both games...again, if both are good ;)

Now, hoping one of the 2 will be bad is not what I suggested. :D

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Adlertag wrote:And there is also a huge contingent of players who will accomodate themselves with a good game even if the gameplay system (TBS or RT) is at the opposite of their intimate preference and sometimes because the market has only one such game to offer.
I don't think the majority of wargamers won't forbid themselves to buy a good game even if based on the alternative system (at least for me, this won't prevent me to buy such game).
So if both "same-context" games are good and attractive, a logical dispersal of sales will occur because you won't prevent a competition between both games...again, if both are good ;)

Now, hoping one of the 2 will be bad is not what I suggested. :D

Well, so, now we have identified three posible customer groups:
the ones that love RTS -> will buy Vicky2
the ones that love TBS -> will buy VGN
the ones that do not care and just want to play -> 2 groups:
---A will buy both if they like the period
---B will buy one of them if they do not have enough money

So, we should focus only on convincing the ones from the third-B group to buy VGN if they just can't afford to buy both... :blink: :D :mdr:

But IMHO, don't overstimate the "power" on the decision to buy a game or not when dealing with the epic battle "RT vs TB" :w00t: :D
I have met a lot of people that will just NOT play a game because it is TB... and exactly the other way around, people that will not play a game because it is RT... ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

caranorn

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Generalisimo wrote:But IMHO, don't overstimate the "power" on the decision to buy a game or not when dealing with the epic battle "RT vs TB" :w00t: :D
I have met a lot of people that will just NOT play a game because it is TB... and exactly the other way around, people that will not play a game because it is RT... ;)

Absolutely. I tend to play so called RT games when there is no better (aka TB) alternative available. So I bought Vicky I back then, but I'm unlikely to buy Vicky II when it comes out as there will be Vainglory. Now that won't mean I absolutely won't buy Vicky II, just that it's unlikely...
Marc aka Caran...

Adlertag

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm

caranorn wrote:Absolutely. I tend to play so called RT games when there is no better (aka TB) alternative available.

That's exactly what I said at the beginning of my post.

And we shoudn't also underestimate the fact that the first game released will also create the first appeal and then the first sales and even if the second one is good, some gamers won't be able to spend the extra money to buy the second one.

I still think that above the debate RT vs TB, the basic law of the market will be the same like on other sectors : more offers = more dispersal of sales.

Generalisimo

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Adlertag wrote:I still think that above the debate RT vs TB, the basic law of the market will be the same like on other sectors : more offers = more dispersal of sales.

Well, both games are already confirmed... so, there is nothing we can do about it... there will be two games about the Victorian period with different features each one. :D
Napoleon Bonaparte

Adlertag

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Generalisimo wrote:Well, both games are already confirmed... so, there is nothing we can do about it... there will be two games about the Victorian period with different features each one. :D

To clear up my comments above :
Now the official announcement about Paradox acquiring Ageod is done (knowing about the discussions since a long time), I can say that since the first informations about the development of Victoria 2 were revealed in August, I was very (and still) puzzled about the future success of both games as they are more close to each other than we may think.

I sincerely hope there will be a room for the two games but I'm not absolutely sure that Paradox did not make a mistake when launching Victoria 2 project after and in parallel to VGN (after all, it seems that even Fredrik and Johan were not on the same wavelenght at the beginning of Vic2 story...).

Anguille

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 pm

This is going to be weird... :blink:

yoshino
Conscript

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 pm

I DEFINITELY support AGEOD and your polite engine games than paradox's.
Hope your new business way well.

Le Ricain

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Judging by Paradox's confusing and possibly competing game release schedule, I would think that VGN and Vicky2 could both be released within a short time of each other.

For example:

HOI3 was released in August 2009 and Arsenal of Democracy, a HOI2 game, will be released in Q1 2010.

For the Glory, an EU2 game, was released in November 2009 and Heir to the Throne, an EU3 game, was released on December 15, 2009.

No reason that VGN and Vicky2 could not fit nicely into this system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Nial
Colonel

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 am

Well, I hated HOi3. Which was wierd since I loved all the previous incarnations. I have EU2 and 3 up to In Nominie. Am at this moment playing heir to the throne demo. And Im not that impressed. It's ok I guess. But it feels like just another add on. Not really enough new here to justify buying the complete game IMHO. Im also playing DA:O and have a Union campaign in AACW going. So I guess what Im saying is if they are both good? I'll get both. Though I tend to think I'll pass on Vicki2 since I wasn't all that thrilled with the first one.

Now I wonder? Will there even be a VGN?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rafiki

Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am

Nial wrote:Now I wonder? Will there even be a VGN?

Yes. If anything, today's news goes to strengthen my belief that we at some point in 2010 will be playing VGN, one and all :thumbsup:

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Generalisimo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Nial wrote:Now I wonder? Will there even be a VGN?

You can count on that my friend. :thumbsup:
Napoleon Bonaparte

ancient seaman
Corporal

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Generalisimo wrote:You can count on that my friend. :thumbsup:

I hope so.After all it is time to change my all times favorite game of imperialism 1 with something new and good.Even better if its about the same period(more or less).
So i hope for the best even thought the news about paradox and ageod were somewhat discouraging. ;)

wulfhund
Civilian

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Hey, TBH I have played paradox games for quite awhile now, a couple of years ago I decided to try BoA2 and loved it, picked up AACW and loved it even more and can safely say although I picked up all the paradox games I still played the AGEOD games much more.

I think it's great that you guys are now with Paradox, that being said, RoP is on their forums, where is VGN? :confused:

Generalisimo

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 pm

wulfhund wrote:I think it's great that you guys are now with Paradox, that being said, RoP is on their forums, where is VGN? :confused:

The next game in line to be released is ROP... ;)
Napoleon Bonaparte

Rafiki

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:43 pm

wulfhund wrote:Hey, TBH I have played paradox games for quite awhile now, a couple of years ago I decided to try BoA2 and loved it, picked up AACW and loved it even more and can safely say although I picked up all the paradox games I still played the AGEOD games much more.

I think it's great that you guys are now with Paradox, that being said, RoP is on their forums, where is VGN? :confused:

It has to do with scheduling. You can start looing for RoP at the end of January, while VGN is currently in the works for the second half of 2010 (which is an estimate).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Ian Coote
Major

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Doesn't Paradox have Victoria 2 coming out ? I'll put my money on VGN never sees the light of day. :(

caranorn

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Doesn't Paradox have Victoria 2 coming out ? I'll put my money on VGN never sees the light of day. :(

So far on the Ageod side everyone has said it will. I also assume at least RoP and VGN were explicitely dealt with in the contract between Paradox and Ageod, so I wouldn't worry about those two games seing the light...

But if you feel otherwise I'd sure take up your bet, could use some extra money :-P ...
Marc aka Caran...

dduff442
Private

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Given the advanced stage of development reached with VGN, I'm inclined to believe that it is Victoria 2 that will die a death.

Pocus

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 am

I would say (non educated guess, I don't have access to Johan secret logbook :) ) that Victoria II will be done before VGN... Is the game not planned for Q2?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Andrelvis
Conscript

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Pocus wrote:I would say (non educated guess, I don't have access to Johan secret logbook :) ) that Victoria II will be done before VGN... Is the game not planned for Q2?

If I remember correctly, Johan said it was going to be postponed.

RELee
Lieutenant

Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Aw, heck! Y'all know ol' Johan. He won't commit to nothing.

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Indeed. :niark:

Return to “Pride of Nations”