Jojo le Gouffy
Captain

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm

Euh...j'avais simplement posé la question parce que j'avais des doutes sur le sens de vain en anglais (qui pouvait dire prétentieux).
Il me semblait que le titre devait répondre en lui-même à deux exigences
a) une synthèse du mouvement historique propre à la période traitée par le jeu ce qui n'est pas évident.
b) un jugement moral concernant ce mouvement (ce qui expliquerait le vain)

A cela, il faut ajouter les contraintes du marketing (la gloriole c'est rigolo mais pas vendeur) et les éventuels copyright pour des titres déjà utilisés.

Et puis peut-on changer le titre aussi radicalement pour une simple question de traduction française ?

bbriley
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Chris Stavros wrote:In that case, how about 'The age of Imperialism' or 'L'âge de l'impérialisme' since that is what the era from 1850-1914 is usually called.

The Age of Imperialism is catchy and yet summarizes the era. It is true that it led to the shock of WW I, but I'd hate to focus on the negative. So Chris's title is the most brief and catchy of what I've heard. I.e., The Age of Imperialism (an era that began to crumble right after WW I).

PhilThib

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Can't use this, was used already by previous games... :p leure:

bbriley
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 pm

PhilThib wrote:Can't use this (Birth of Empires), was used already by previous games... :p leure:

I have already heard some earlier, catchy titles. Also, how about:
Rise of Nationalism (not Rise of Nations, of course)
The Move to Nationalism
The Developing Conflicts (i.e., culminating in WW I)
A World of Ambitions

And - take a vote, as someone else suggested, but in two stages: 1) a vote among all the title candidates proposed, followed by 2) a vote amongst the final three top candidates, with AGEOD of course making the final decision, regardless of the election, since the AGEOD team has the most at stake, by far.
BobR in New Mexico, USA
--
"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share.

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 pm

PhilThib wrote:Can't use this, was used already by previous games... :p leure:
Hmm, ok.

How about 'Of Nations and Empires' which is a nice sounding 'Des nations et des empires' in French?

Cat Lord

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:35 pm

"Vainglory of Nations" is a perfect title, please, do not change it. :cwboy:

Translating it is slightly more difficult, but shouldn't be impossible.

"Vanité des Nations" n'est pas une traduction exacte, mais n'est pas complètement à côté ("Vanité & Gloire des Nations" non plus, garde l'acronyme et sonne très bien).

En plus c'est l'ethymologie "vaine gloire" du vieux français qui a donné le mot anglais.

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

Lascar
Private

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Cat Lord wrote:"Vainglory of Nations" is a perfect title, please, do not change it. :cwboy:

"Vanité des Nations" n'est pas une traduction exacte, mais n'est pas complètement à côté ("Vanité & Gloire des Nations" non plus, garde l'acronyme et sonne très bien).

En plus c'est l'ethymologie "vaine gloire" du vieux français qui a donné le mot anglais.

Cat

I agree, Vainglory of Nations is a fine title and a succinct commentary on the hubris of 19th century European imperialism.

PhilThib

Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:14 pm

*guess why I chose this one :niark: :cwboy: :indien: :king: :siffle:

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Which one?

Pocus

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:56 pm

I agree, Vainglory of Nations is a fine title and a succinct commentary on the hubris of 19th European imperialism.

See, if someone can pull out a sentence like that, then he don't have to look into the dictionnary for the definition of vain or vainglory. ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

bbriley
Lieutenant

Good for Lascar's Comment!

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Pocus wrote:See, if someone can pull out a sentence like that, then he don't have to look into the dictionnary for the definition of vain or vainglory. ;)

Amen. I cannot speak to the French commentary or translation of "vainglory," but Lascar's succinct statement referred to by Pocus was excellent. Vainglory does imply a recognition of the hubris in several nations in Europe that set the stage for the 1914-18 conflagration. So, the AGEOD team's title carries the day, at least for me. An excellent book about the posturing that led to the war - and the early days of the war - was The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchmann.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Vainglory of Nations is a great title.

jdifool76
Private

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:14 am

Maybe you should call it the Age of High Hopes. Anyway I think Vainglory of Nations fits nicely although it emphasizes the negative side of things. If we exclude the brief wars of unification, the Civil War and the various conflicts in balkans and of course the World War, it was a rather peacefull era ... in the white man's world at least.

Le Ricain

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Cat Lord wrote:"Vainglory of Nations" is a perfect title, please, do not change it. :cwboy:

Cat

+1 - "Vanité & Gloire des Nations"

As Cat succinctly points out, the acronym, VGN, is preserved with both the English and French titles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:34 pm

How about: "The Vanity of Nations?" Don't know the French translation of that but most of the games are sold to English speakers anyway. T

Paul Roberts

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Queeg wrote:Vainglory of Nations is a great title.

I agree. An excellent title!

heckler_rider
Corporal

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Who cares what it is called as long as its fun! Would the following title changes have impacted the quality and fun of these games...

BOA = Tea Hating Rebellious Upstarts versus Wig Wearing Overbearing Imperialists

NCP = Vertically Challenged Guy versus the World

AACW = Good Ole' Boys versus Money Grubbing Industrialists

The answer is NO!

Let's go with Vainglory of Nations and stop wasting resources on this debate....

What I would like to see

grand campaign - more turns the better

somewhat detailed military structure - corps level is just to bland for me, I can't get emotionally attached to the IV Corps, but give me the 4th Royal Irish Gragoon Guards and I'm in heaven. Seriously, you need some flavor for the military - generic units dont cut it. I think corps level is also to high, many of the more famous battles were fought with smaller forces.
Rider....watch out for that droppppppp

DennyWright
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 am

Wasting resources? This thread died two weeks ago... :confused:

marcusjm
Colonel

Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 am

Irish Gragoons. Is that what they are called after too many pints? :D .
I agree about accuracy. I also want lots of detail on the "Important" colonies. Accurate portrayal of India and all it's factions for instance.

Commander Cody
Conscript

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:08 am

How is this game coming along? Can we get an update? I for one am looking forward to an excellent game on this era.

One thing that was dismal in Vicky was the naval sector. Here are some ideas:

1. Ships should require access to ports to go very far distances. However, as access to neutral and allied ports was common at the time, it shouldn't be too hard to have access to ports not in your direct possession (obviously, if you are shunned by the world due to bad boy behavior access to neutral ports might suffer).
2. Military threats should accomplish real objectives. Perry's black ships opened up Japan to trade. The threat of force in this case opened up diplomatic opportunities, so this this should be modeled in the diplomatic engine.
3. Port calls with impressive fleets should bolster diplomatic opportunities as well (through increased prestige or a like mechanism). The voyage of Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Fleet served notice that the U.S. was a new power to be reckoned with.
4. The number of ship types should be increased, and scrapping should be encouraged by increasing the maintenance cost of older ships over time.

I am a big fan of AGEod and hope you can pick up where Paradox left off and create a masterpiece.

Cheers, CC

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:53 am

Commander Cody wrote:How is this game coming along? Can we get an update? I for one am looking forward to an excellent game on this era.

1. Ships should require access to ports to go very far distances. However, as access to neutral and allied ports was common at the time, it shouldn't be too hard to have access to ports not in your direct possession (obviously, if you are shunned by the world due to bad boy behavior access to neutral ports might suffer).
2. Military threats should accomplish real objectives. Perry's black ships opened up Japan to trade. The threat of force in this case opened up diplomatic opportunities, so this this should be modeled in the diplomatic engine.
3. Port calls with impressive fleets should bolster diplomatic opportunities as well (through increased prestige or a like mechanism). The voyage of Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Fleet served notice that the U.S. was a new power to be reckoned with.
4. The number of ship types should be increased, and scrapping should be encouraged by increasing the maintenance cost of older ships over time.

I am a big fan of AGEod and hope you can pick up where Paradox left off and create a masterpiece.

Cheers, CC

Very good ideas all.

Martial-law
Conscript

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Phillipe,

I am anxiously waiting to hear any news about the game. Please inform. Also I would suggest adding the population system to this game like the one in Victoria; mentioning the cultural groups/religious groups their political tendencies etc. in pie charts. Also like in Victoria the populations should immigrate and emigrate however I would also request you to add one more thing which Victoria lacks; give the player more control over the immigration/emigration of the population of their countries/empires. Please also inform about this. Also as for a catchy name for this game how about the "Rise of Imperialism"? Please inform. Thanks. :coeurs:

PhilThib

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:41 pm

We are not sure for the time being that we want to let the players control emigration or immigration. The game shall not go where Victoria went...and failed... managing the population in details is not the aim of VGN.

We will have a good population model, and emigration will be in (via scripted events and some part of the engine), but the main focus of the game shall not be there :innocent:

Chris Stavros
Corporal

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:42 pm

I hope that there will be immigration to the Americas as actually happened in the period.

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Queeg wrote:Very good ideas all.

As an Eu III player, Vicky player, player of all AGEOD games, and naval enthusiast, I wholly concur with these comments. :coeurs:

Coaling was critical, but you did not need a friendly port to coal.

It's called "gunboat diplomacy" for a reason.

Go AGEOD!

Oh, name of game is GREAT!

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Commander Cody wrote:How is this game coming along? Can we get an update? I for one am looking forward to an excellent game on this era.

Cheers, CC

As an Eu III player, Vicky player, player of all AGEOD games, and naval enthusiast, I wholly concur with these comments. :coeurs:

Coaling was critical, but you did not need a friendly port to coal.

It's called "gunboat diplomacy" for a reason.

Go AGEOD!

Oh, name of game is GREAT!

Robert E. Lee
Private

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:18 am

PhilThib wrote:We are not sure for the time being that we want to let the players control emigration or immigration. The game shall not go where Victoria went...and failed... managing the population in details is not the aim of VGN.

Thank you....Vicky gives me so much headaches sometimes... :bonk:
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it"

DirkX
Lieutenant

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:19 pm

PhilThib wrote:We are not sure for the time being that we want to let the players control emigration or immigration. The game shall not go where Victoria went...and failed... managing the population in details is not the aim of VGN.

We will have a good population model, and emigration will be in (via scripted events and some part of the engine), but the main focus of the game shall not be there :innocent:

hooray! :fleurs:
i stopped playing vicky because of beeing totally inable to understand the "pop" model.

Grouchy Marx
Private

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Is it supposed to be able to model properly the Great War ? If true, I would love to see two things :

- Be able to see the spread of communist and anarchist ideologies and how they may make a whole country collapse. With real algorithms by opposition with a string of events concluding to the foregone collapse of Russia. For example, if France falls and economic performance of UK has been shaky throughout the game, it may collapse and become communist.

- If empires such as the II. Reich, Austria-Hungary, Russia or Ottoman Empire collapse, get a lot of chrome about internal political events (It may be difficult to simulate day-to-day events, but I would love that)

Many thanks for asking us what we would like to see.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Vainglory of Nations is a pretty good title and I rather like it. But if I had to propose an alternative, I would suggest "Blood and Iron" in honor of Bismark. The real title, of course, would be "Blut und Eisen", but that would only show up in mods or in the German market. But I'm sure someone, somewhere, must already be using this.

[edited because I've been looking at too much WW II material lately and Iron and Honor start with the same letter in German]

Return to “Pride of Nations”