Templer
General

Improve the performance!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am

I can´t say anything about the content, features or fun playing World War One Gold Edition.

Unfortunately, the game (demo) runs very slow on my PC. :(

Significantly improve the performance so that players can have fun without high end PCs!

I can´t understand why this game so performance hungry. :confused:

Chris Ferrous
Corporal

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:42 am

I guess it's the 'IF's.

The programme must read something like IF this THEN and IF that / IF this THEN and IF that / IF this THEN and IF that etc.......

Very memory intensive!

I created a 5Gb swap file (as described in Windows Help) and have had no lag problems since.

Originally I was getting lock-ups too but patch 1.08L seems to have largely fixed that. The only remaining 'running problem' for me is if I try to play as a single player in the four-player campaign (as Russia) when a freeze-up may occur about once in every four or five turns.

Consequently I now avoid the four player campaign, run with the large swap file, turn off army by army activation and do not give the AI maximum time. I do however allow the AI the all behaviours option.

Basically the game now runs fine but as a precaution I do an auto-save every turn, and if it's a big turn, I'll hit the quick save (f5) a couple of times during the turn too, just in case.

I'm not saying it's perfect as some of the drag and drop, mouse clicking, and clashing and changing colours create frustrations but these are small scale in relation to the incredible complexity of the game. For me the lack of a 'do you really want to progress to the next turn' warning is the biggest issue. There's been a number of occasions when I've thought I was ending a particular phase, rather than a whole turn, and I've missed out on combat for instance.

In addition, rarely, one or two strange things happen, like opposing armies both occupying the same territory or walking through each other without fighting, AI overstacking, or GHQs going walkies. Overall though these seem to be minor and very rare bugs which are compounded or possibly even created by the preponderence of 'decoys' or dummy Corps which are designed to distract the human gamer from what the AI is really doing.

Overall, the game is immense fun, very detailed, eminently re-playable, and complex. So I can overlook the odd minor bug providing it runs properly, which it does. :)

Templer
General

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 am

1. My system allows me to set only 4096 MB.
2. Does not help.
3. Too bad. Very sad.
4. I have installed the demo patch 1.08L.

Now when I want to start the game I get the following error message:

"Depug Error!

Program: C: \ Games \ World War One Gold \ WW1.exe
Module: C: \ Games \ World War One Gold \ WW1.exe
File:

Run-Time Check Failure # 0 - The Value of ESP was not properly saved acros a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling convention. "

:confused: I click "Ignore" and the game starts. But why do I receive this error message? :confused:

These are the given min.
Required system :
Processor : Pentium® IV 1800+ MHz
4 Gb free on hard disk
2 Gb RAM
Video card : 256 Mb
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Screen resolution : 1024 x 768 or more

I don´t want to believe World War One Gold Edition works with such a system! :non:

calvinus

Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:34 am

Templer wrote::confused: I click "Ignore" and the game starts. But why do I receive this error message? :confused:

Any problem with the DivX codec? What happens if you disable the "play logo" option in the config tool? Do you get still the debug error?

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:31 am

Chris Ferrous wrote:I guess it's the 'IF's...

Overall, the game is immense fun, very detailed, eminently re-playable, and complex. So I can overlook the odd minor bug providing it runs properly, which it does. :)

I have found crashes with the smaller scenarios, most notably the Serbian one in the week that I have played this game. Not too regular, but as soon as I moved on to the 1914 scenario and then the GC, then not one bad thing has happened - in fact it runs very stable.
My system is nearly three years old. I use:
Athlon X2 5000+ (Dual Core)
Nvidia 8800 GT (512)
Win XP 32 bit SP3
4 Gig of RAM, although XP only recognises 3.50 GB

I do not use an Anti Virus, apart from Spybot (running resident in memory) and Comodo Internet Security, that warns me about changes to my registry, outbound connections, etc. Also runs in resident memory and WW1G is a trusted application with that program. No problems (although I touch wood now just in case!).

Shame that it doesnt work for you Templar as the game is really good, fun to play and has a decent AI which I suppose would have to as there is no PBEM which is a shame. If there was a four player PBEM option, then I think that would also be a lot of fun.

Templer
General

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 pm

As I see now, many problems which I have described,are not with the game itself, but because I was playing (better try to play) the scenario in 1916, a scenario with several nations involved from the beginning, what slows down the performance (as I now know). :bonk:

I followed the advice of Chris Ferrous's and increased my swap file to 4096 MB (Windows does not allow me more).
Incidentally, it was already too set to low.
So thank you Chris Ferrous. :winner:
If I select now no more four player scenarios, the game runs smoothly, just as described by Chris Ferrous. :)

By the way, I can´t see no difference by scrolling, if I don´t choose the option to load the map from the beginning. :confused:

If I load the low color depth map, should there be a advantage in game speed? :confused:

Until now I was spared from crash.

I can´t say more right now because I have not gotten to play extensively and not enough sleep anyway (AGEod´s fault). :wacko:

The most important change/innovation/statement/message about the game and Templer´s pain is, that future messages relating no more to the damo version.

As a friend of complex strategy games I just couldn't pass the -50% a pop.
So I bought AGEod´s World War One Gold Edition this morning 1:20 am.
I rarely buy "valuable" games via download only without no boxed version.
calvinus should still gets his cigar now. :)

A serious concern.
Also four player campaign should (have to!), according AGEOD's system requiremants, be playable on systems like mine!
But I hope to the future calvinus and/or AGEOD continue working on the game.
Right now the game does not equal the high standards that I've now on AGEOD. :non:

Greetings and thanks
Templer

And let´s kick the Kaiser!

Kev_uk
Colonel

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:46 pm

Templar, congratulations. I waited two years to buy this game. So far, I am not disappointed.

Templer
General

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:56 am

@ Kev uk

The game looks really good.
However, in the moment everything is still confusing and incomprehensible.
But it looks to me that the game is worth it to work through themselves. :)

Return to “Help improve WW1!”