alexander seil

Greek and Serb Mountain Troops...not actually mountain troops

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 am

Seem like there's an oversight - neither Greek nor Serb mountain troops, either in scenario start or in the production screen, are actually labeled as mountain troops! The NATO symbol is that of regular infantry.

EDIT: Might be useful to check all the Balkan minors, frankly, maybe it's a trend! :w00t:

calvinus

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:18 am

I remember there was an Errata in the boardgame for Serbians.
I do not recall anything about the Greeks, instead.

Anyway, the Units.xls DB has been carefully designed by Bruno De Scorraille, the author of the boardgame.

So we should ask him... :(

PhilThib

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 am

IIRC, in the boardgame they are called 'Mountain' troops but are not really, this is why they are labelled as regular infantry. May be he just made the same in the PC game.

Checking actual OOB for the era in the Balkans, those units were actually not Mountain troops (as could be said of French Chasseurs Alpins, Italian Alpinis or the German Gebirgsjägers) :cool:

alexander seil

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Whatever the boardgame and formal unit designations say, those are Greek and Serb troops we're talking about. They should definitely have mountain units.

EDIT: The OOB in this game is mostly fantasy anyhow (it's quite abstracted), might as well tweak it to make sense :D

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

I disagree.

This isn't HO3 or a WW1 simulation, it's a conversion of a board game. The OOBs were put that way for balance issues, not for sheer realism.

Balkan mountain troops were maybe knowledgeable about terrain, but they were still line infantry, and sub-par compared to alpine troops in Italy and Austria. I fear giving them the TOE status of "mountain unit" might make the Balkans even tougher for major powers, while in fact they were push-overs except against Turkey and other Balkan powers, all of them second-rate powers.

Tamas

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Mountain units can be VERY powerful in the game, defend mountain with them with artillery support (or even without it) and the enemy will have a very hard time getting any results.

So there is no justification labelling those balkan units and such. They would become way stronger than they actually were.

Fastsnake
Major

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm

And has Bruno De Scorraille never come to this forum?

calvinus

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Fastsnake wrote:And has Bruno De Scorraille never come to this forum?

I saw him a couple of times, then he was abducted by the UFOs! :D

Return to “Help improve WW1!”