calvinus

Public Beta Patch 1.08C

Wed May 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm happy to open the first public beta patching session for WW1 Gold.

Here you can download the beta patch for the full version:
[removed for 1.08D]

And here for the demo version:
[removed for 1.08D]

Of course, there can be glitches, you will understand that this is a beta patch and not the official one. ;)

Herewith I listed all news...

[Version 1.0.8a]
[Version 1.0.8b]
[Version 1.0.8c]

Improvements:
- Introduced a time-stamp based sort procedure in orders execution in order to guarantee a perfect synchronization in Multiplayer mode
- Military AI improved by adding a urgent escape for isolated/out-of-supply stacks
- Military AI improved to give more strategic importance to Grand Offensives targets when planning attacks
- Military AI when defending targets of Grand Offensives is more willing to fight to the death
- The rule for max sustainable attacks by Central Powers has been tweaked in order to allow attacks in excess in case of Grand Offensives or escape movements done by isolated or out-of-supply stacks
- Modifiers for new Combat Doctrine adoption tests have been slightly modded in order to give a bit more chances od success
- Added a rule that prevents the redeployment of HQs and GHQs to rest-of-the-world areas (i.e.: Africa)
- Added some correction in Spanish game texts
- Diplomacy can now be done on Serbia in the very first Diplomatic pre-phase
- Main Offensives against nations that surrendered during the offensive are now counted as successful
- Introduced a replica mechanism for Interceptions in Multiplayers matches (moddable in WW1.ini file, see parameter 'InterceptionTimeoutThreshold' expressed in milliseconds)

Scenario corrections:
- Added a few corrections in Tutorial #2

Fixed bugs:
- Diplomatic missions planned by the enemy cannot be anymore spotted in Diplomacy window
- Fixed a bug that removed Grand Offensives planning in case of 2 armies commitment
- Fixed a bug in savegame procedure concerning the automatic reinforcement of RP flow of minor nations
- Fixed a bug of recursivity in diplomatic level progression that caused a too easy diplomatic escaltion (i.e.: for USA, UK)
- Corrected a mistake in German game texts that caused a crash when entering the Technological Researchs window
- Fixed a bug in air battles that allowed to reuse air squadrons during the second combat round even if destroyed during the first one
- Introduced a security check in interceptions and next battle clicks for single player mode to avoid game freezes related to those events

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm

FYI...my Norton Internet Security 2010 does not allow the download for the Demo, i.e., the .exe was removed due to Insight Network Detection.

I have not experienced any prior Norton problems re: other game/game patch downloads.

Bruit Bleu

Wed May 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Just when I have some time to play a bit ! :w00t:

Unfortunately :

Error
This file (...) can only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

:(
TYW Baroque music mod

« Dulce Bellum Inexpertis »
Erasmus

Franciscus

Thu May 20, 2010 12:25 am

Same error (see pic).

Please, Calvinus/PhilThib: make this patch available through Ageod telechargement, as usual...
Attachments
error.jpg

Johnnie
Captain

Thu May 20, 2010 4:03 am

Same error. Anyplace else to download this?

Incidentally, the link to the demo patch works fine. Go figure.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 4:33 am

Johnnie wrote:Same error. Anyplace else to download this?

Incidentally, the link to the demo patch works fine. Go figure.

The demo link works but my AV blocks downloading the .exe file. I had no problem downloading the demo itself :confused:

calvinus

Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 am

I uploaded the files on RapidShare yesterday night to be quicker for you. ;)
In fact, the office of AgeOD was closed. :(

Ok, I'm going to upload the files on AgeOD ftp server immediately.
I will update the links for download as soon finished.

My apologies,
Calvinus.

PhilThib

Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am

Under upload, links will be here soon :cool:

calvinus

Thu May 20, 2010 10:40 am

Download links are now updated.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 11:07 am

New link worked w/ no problem :thumbsup: Thank you sir....

Franciscus

Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 pm

A little word of warning: At least in my 2 PCs, the patch does not point to the actual directory where I have installed WW1 (as is usual with Ageod patches), but rather to a default directory in C:\. So beware during the patch installation to choose manually the actual directory where you installed WW1, or else you can get a messy installation.

PS @Calvinus:
In the new 1.08c WW1.ini file do you still recommend that we change the line:
"SecureConfirmInterception=1" or it is no longer necessary ?

calvinus

Thu May 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Franciscus wrote:A little word of warning: At least in my 2 PCs, the patch does not point to the actual directory where I have installed WW1 (as is usual with Ageod patches), but rather to a default directory in C:\. So beware during the patch installation to choose manually the actual directory where you installed WW1, or else you can get a messy installation.

Very strange, it does not happen on my PC, and the script for InnoSetup is well done... :wacko:

Franciscus wrote:PS @Calvinus:

For Multiplayer absolutely YES!

Go back to SecureConfirmInterception=1

Mowers
Captain

Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Okay, some good news and bad news

Good news.

AI much improved, nice work. The AI moves ships, tries to cordinate defences and acts pretty sanely.

The bad news:

I still cant select units properly

Its hard to move units between army groups

Its still hard to move groups on the map

Technology seems to be broken (my countries spend money on tech months after stopping any research)

Attacks dont appear to happen (or can you not attack against "sandbagged" units)

This all makes for a frustrating gaming experience. The interface is still pretty dreadful, to the extent that its hard to find what may be a great game underneath. Now I am used to complex war games but I am afraid there is work to be done.

Franciscus

Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 pm

calvinus wrote:Very strange, it does not happen on my PC, and the script for InnoSetup is well done... :wacko:

It happens both in my desktop with XP and my laptop with Win7 (where I did not install to default, but to a dedicated directory to avoid problems. But after I manually change the path, the patch installs OK (WW1.exe version 1.08.3).

Maybe it's because I have WW1 gold upgrade kit ?

calvinus wrote:For Multiplayer absolutely YES!

Go back to SecureConfirmInterception=1

SecureConfirmInterception=1 is the default, right ? Sorry for my asking, I just want to be sure... :bonk:

Tamas

Thu May 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Mowers wrote:Okay, some good news and bad news

Good news.

AI much improved, nice work. The AI moves ships, tries to cordinate defences and acts pretty sanely.

The bad news:

I still cant select units properly

Its hard to move units between army groups

Its still hard to move groups on the map

Technology seems to be broken (my countries spend money on tech months after stopping any research)

Attacks dont appear to happen (or can you not attack against "sandbagged" units)

This all makes for a frustrating gaming experience. The interface is still pretty dreadful, to the extent that its hard to find what may be a great game underneath. Now I am used to complex war games but I am afraid there is work to be done.

"sandbagged" units are entrenched units. You can attack them, unless you are over your turnly attack limit for trench warfare.
Maybe what happened was that the enemy had initiative and they attacked first into the hex you wanted to move out from?

I am sorry to hear you have problem selecting units and such, I have this greatly improved since the regular edition.

Regarding reorganization between army groups, use the reorg window, it makes it much easier.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Franciscus wrote:A little word of warning: At least in my 2 PCs, the patch does not point to the actual directory where I have installed WW1 (as is usual with Ageod patches), but rather to a default directory in C:\. So beware during the patch installation to choose manually the actual directory where you installed WW1, or else you can get a messy installation.

PS @Calvinus:

I'm using Win 7 and also manually setup a directory in C:\ for the gold demo. IIRC, the patch recognized this directory w/ no problem.

Mowers
Captain

Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Tamas wrote:"sandbagged" units are entrenched units. You can attack them, unless you are over your turnly attack limit for trench warfare.
Maybe what happened was that the enemy had initiative and they attacked first into the hex you wanted to move out from?

I am sorry to hear you have problem selecting units and such, I have this greatly improved since the regular edition.

Regarding reorganization between army groups, use the reorg window, it makes it much easier.

Interesting, how do I determine my turnly attack limit for trench warfare?

The selection of units is much improved with the re-org window but the interface is still a pain. Sometimes it doesnt seem possible to merge units together (breaking them apart is pretty easy now though).

Trying to select the unit on the map to move it can be a real pain.

Furthermore trying to establish the front line can be difficult. The colours used means its hard to distinguish particularly on the western front.

Finally, units which are meant to be out of supply dont appear to be out of supply; that is if i understand supply correctly.

Tamas

Fri May 21, 2010 6:18 am

When you are not able to merge units together, check if you get a red message in the message log: it is probably because the army you are trying to merge units into have reached its max corps limit.

For supply, select a unit and press Ctrl+S. This will show you where it is drawing supply from.

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 am

Franciscus wrote:It happens both in my desktop with XP and my laptop with Win7 (where I did not install to default, but to a dedicated directory to avoid problems. But after I manually change the path, the patch installs OK (WW1.exe version 1.08.3).

Maybe it's because I have WW1 gold upgrade kit ?

I think the cause is Win7. The installer searchs a key in windows registry. This key contains the folder where the game has been installed. So maybe Win7 works differently... :(

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 am

Mowers wrote:Interesting, how do I determine my turnly attack limit for trench warfare?

I guess you refer to the "Max Sustainable Attacks" rule, which is applied only in favor of Central Powers.

When trench warfare is on, Central Powers can sustain no more than 1 Grand Offensive attack and 2 minor attacks. For all other attacks done by the Entente against CPs a die is rolled to determine if the attack must take place or not.

If the Entente is AI driven and the difficulty level is set 4+, this rule is ignored. Otherwise, if the Entente is led by a human player or the difficulty level is 3-, the rule is applied.

Mowers wrote:Furthermore trying to establish the front line can be difficult. The colours used means its hard to distinguish particularly on the western front.

You can use the Political (F3) or Diplomatic (F4) map mode view. This helps a lot.

Mowers wrote:Finally, units which are meant to be out of supply dont appear to be out of supply; that is if i understand supply correctly.

Hit CTRL+S and you'll see all supply source/relay lines for the selected stacks.

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

Mowers wrote:Trying to select the unit on the map to move it can be a real pain.

Probably you could adjust the mouse sensitivity (WW1 Configuration tool).

Also, if you click with the right mouse button over stacks, you can easily browse all stacks located in the same area.

I hope this helps...

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for these responses.

I am seeing German forces 3 provinces away from their main line and surrounded by enemy forces in supply. I would send you the save but the game has crashed and there is no autosave. Can you add an autosave? Or where would I find the button?

The colours for the different map modes need to be accentuated, its really very unclear especially when it snows on parts of the map only. Its also unclear when you select the unit and you get a yellow movement range overlay which blots out everything underneath it so you can no longer see the front line.

I am experiencing a limit of number of attacks by British forces. Again the file is gone.

The problem for selecting units is not due to mouse sensitivity, its an icon issue, you almost have to find the "sweet spot" to pick and drag a unit to move it. Some times its easy, other times in certain provinces its near on impossible. I will however try right click.

I've never had the option to launch a grand offensive. Where do i find the button?

How would I make another British army?

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am

Mowers wrote:I am seeing German forces 3 provinces away from their main line and surrounded by enemy forces in supply. I would send you the save but the game has crashed and there is no autosave. Can you add an autosave? Or where would I find the button?

F5 or F6 should do the quick autosave.

Also, hit CTRL+S and post here a screenshot. Remember the supply rule: 1 major city or 2 minor towns connected, unless you activated the "simple supply rule" option in Options window. Also, supply is checked during Military phase.

Mowers wrote:The colours for the different map modes need to be accentuated, its really very unclear especially when it snows on parts of the map only. Its also unclear when you select the unit and you get a yellow movement range overlay which blots out everything underneath it so you can no longer see the front line.

We tweaked colors for Gold edition exactly to make them less accentuated! :bonk:

Mowers wrote:I am experiencing a limit of number of attacks by British forces. Again the file is gone.

As I wrote, it's not a bug, but a WAD that was present also in the boardgame version, whose purpose was to balance the game to avoid a too easy collapse of CPs.

Mowers wrote:The problem for selecting units is not due to mouse sensitivity, its an icon issue, you almost have to find the "sweet spot" to pick and drag a unit to move it. Some times its easy, other times in certain provinces its near on impossible. I will however try right click.

A guy suggested to keep the mouse cursor with finger on, that helps spotting the "hot spot". For the time being, just drag and drop to the base of the sprites.

Mowers wrote:I've never had the option to launch a grand offensive. Where do i find the button?

Top bar, one on the last buttons.

Mowers wrote:How would I make another British army?

New HQs can be built in the Recruitments window.

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks for that, I'll have some more of a play around with the system.

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 2:29 pm

How do you do a screen shot in this game and where is it saved? |thanks

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 2:37 pm

On my Italian keyboard: Alt Gr + #
Simply: #

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Is there anything I can do to resolve the 2 second delay everytime I order any action? Its killing me :(

calvinus

Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 pm

2 seconds for each map refresh after doing an action? :(
Is there any resident program that is slowing down the game?
Look at the technical forum, some guys reported useful links... ;)
They also managed to remove freezes and crashes.

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 pm

calvinus wrote:2 seconds for each map refresh after doing an action? :(
Is there any resident program that is slowing down the game?
Look at the technical forum, some guys reported useful links... ;)
They also managed to remove freezes and crashes.

yep, with 2 gigs of ram.

Its just that its running extremely slowly on all my computers and one has 4 gigs of ram.

I turn off everything when i run it.

finally, is there a way to make the unit movement segment, when you watch all the units move at the end of the military phase speed up? It can take 5 mins +.

I was not able to find the Grand offensive button. Does it only appear when you reach a certain military level?

Mowers
Captain

Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 pm

calvinus wrote:On my Italian keyboard: Alt Gr + #
Simply: #

That doesnt work for me.

You didnt build in a screen capture system?

I have 3 areas of german units together about 3 areas away from their front line and they have no issues with supply for months on end. They are encircled.

Return to “Help improve WW1!”