dougbush93
Captain

Minor Nation National Will

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm

I've noticed that minor nations (in my current game, Belgium and Romania) have their NW tracked like a major power, including the penalties for low NW: strikes, mutinies, revolutions, etc. I have had Belgium hit by strikes repeatedly and Romania get mutinies. However, unlike major powers, minor powers do not have the ability to use political events (change of government, restore order, etc) to do anything about the low NW levels, or end a strike / revolt.

In the LGG boardgame, minor nations do not track NW. Instead, they only track # of RPs available. For their NW morale modifier, there are separate rules for each nation:

Serbia: NW Modifier is +2 in 1914, then +1 in 1915 on. Drops to +0 if Serb HQ is destroyed (see England rule R)

Belgium: NW Modifier is +2 in 1914, then +1 in 1915 on (France rule L)

All Other Minors: NW Modifier starts as indicated in scenario, then drops to 0 at the start of the year after they enter the war. The starting levels are Greece +0, Bulgaria +1, Romania +1, Switzerland +2, Holland +0, Japan +2, Portugal +0. So, for example, if Romania enters the war in the summer of 1915, they would have a +1 NW morale modifier until Jan 1916, when it would automatically drop to +0. (England rule S)

I would recommend that in a future patch, the NW rules for minors from the boardgame be implemented, if possible. It would take some workload off the players, and avoid the current problem of a minor undergoing strikes / revolts / revolutions with no way to do anything about it through a political action.

Doug

calvinus

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:45 am

The NW mechanic must be kept also for minor nations, for technical reasons. What I can do is to remove some modifiers/occurrences.

dougbush93
Captain

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm

calvinus wrote:The NW mechanic must be kept also for minor nations, for technical reasons. What I can do is to remove some modifiers/occurrences.

If there's another way to do the same thing that's fine. If you could eliminate any chance of strikes / mutinies / rebellions that would probably be good enough. Another approach would be to give each minor a very high (like 40) starting NW.

Doug

calvinus

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:35 pm

dougbush93 wrote:If there's another way to do the same thing that's fine. If you could eliminate any chance of strikes / mutinies / rebellions that would probably be good enough. Another approach would be to give each minor a very high (like 40) starting NW.

Doug

All minor nations already start at 40 NW. The elimination of strikes / mutinies / rebellions stuff was exactly my idea! ;)

PoorBoy2001
Sergeant

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:30 am

A good work-around would be to have the minor NW fixed, except when required to drop to a new level (e.g. the +1 in 1915 etc.).

Is it possible to block the report of the strike etc. events for minors? (They could still be executed in the background by the game, but the player would never see them).

calvinus

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:31 am

Both ideas are good indeed, and not too complex to do. ;)

Return to “Help improve WW1!”